Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Do we really need to spend a high draft pick on receiver?

Legend

User Info Menu

Why does it matter what round we take a WR? We dont have to draft position, we can draft BPA and if thats a WR then so be it. We are going to be a player in FA this coming year so we dont have to go into the draft trying to fill every need.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wizard View Post
    Why does it matter what round we take a WR? We dont have to draft position, we can draft BPA and if thats a WR then so be it. We are going to be a player in FA this coming year so we dont have to go into the draft trying to fill every need.
    it matters because draft experts on here want to be right about their mock drafts.

They put a ton of weight on that first round pick. It has to be a certain position or else its an awful pick.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    If Addison or Njigba are on the board at 17 we NEED to select them.

If not, we don’t need to do it and will draft one in the second round. Not the 32nd pick but the latter pick.
    We need to select WR in round one? Um, no. This is getting ridiculous. Quote me correctly btw, I do so for you.
    Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game in seven years and counting. The earliest will be eight years. Art Rooney II, get a new head coach.

Our 2024 draft is grade A.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    If Addison or Njigba are on the board at 17 we NEED to select them.

If not, we don’t need to do it and will draft one in the second round. Not the 32nd pick but the latter pick.
    I’d be ok with Addison in the 1st or best OL, DL, CB, ILB available depending how the draft falls.

Excellent routes, speed in and out of breaks and finding holes in zone is what causes separation from defenders.
    This is exactly what the Steelers need at WR. JA has these traits, plus good hands, RAC and the speed to take the top off a defense.

I really like Pickens. He’s great at contested and acrobatic catches, but rarely gets separation. Still needs work.

Some here think scheme is what gets WRs open, but there’s a whole lot more to it than that.
    Last edited by Monalo; 01-20-2023 at 12:40 PM.

Banned

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Monalo View Post
    I’d be ok with Addison in the 1st or best OL, DL, CB, ILB available depending how the draft falls.

Excellent routes, speed in and out of breaks and finding holes in zone is what causes separation from defenders.
    This is exactly what the Steelers need. JA has these traits, along with good hands, RAC and the speed to take the top off a defense.

I really like Pickens. He’s great at contested and acrobatic catches, but rarely gets separation. Still needs work.

Some here think scheme is what gets WRs open, but there’s a whole lot more to it than that.
    I see what your saying. And your exactly right that it's more than schemes that get WR's open.

Question..

How is the overall draft class of WR's this coming draft? I've not heard anyone talk about the overall value of the class so far. Is it deep? Thin?

Banned

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Monalo View Post

This is exactly what the Steelers need. JA has these traits, along with good hands, RAC and the speed to take the top off a defense.

Njigba is a stud. After Shawn brought him up last year, I watched him exclusively this year and he does have all the tools. He could be the best WR to come out of Ohio St. He's that talented.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    I see what your saying. And your exactly right that it's more than schemes that get WR's open.

Question..

How is the overall draft class of WR's this coming draft? I've not heard anyone talk about the overall value of the class so far. Is it deep? Thin?
    From what I’ve seen and read this WR class is pretty deep. IMO the top WRs are:
    1. Quentin Johnston – TCU
    2. Addison
    3. Njigba - Ohio State
    4. Jalin Hyatt – Tenn.

There are other highly rated WRs, of course it’s a matter of opinion.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Njigba is a stud. After Shawn brought him up last year, I watched him exclusively this year and he does have all the tools. He could be the best WR to come out of Ohio St. He's that talented.
    I agree, Njigba is VERY good.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    We need to select WR in round one? Um, no. This is getting ridiculous. Quote me correctly btw, I do so for you.
    Still no "we..." The sum of good receivers is often greater than the two individuals... Example: AB... good receiver on the Bucs... JuJu... good receiver on the Chefs (Chiefs)...
    AB + JuJu on the Steelers?? PHENOMENAL receiving duo... JuJu was less effective after AB left... Neither were as effective once they went to other franchises...

Legend

User Info Menu

Answer: No.

But we do need to pick one of these early in the draft. I'd take any of these in a heartbeat.
    https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...rades-or-draft

Biggest Missing Piece of NFL's Fringe Contenders in 2023 Free Agency, Trades or Draft

GARY DAVENPORT
    JANUARY 19, 2023

Pittsburgh Steelers: Offensive Tackle
    7 OF 10

Peter Skoronski
    Peter SkoronskiRandy Litzinger/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images

The Pittsburgh Steelers finished the 2022 season on a high note, winning six of seven to keep Mike Tomlin's streak of non-losing seasons intact. But while that hot finish offers Pittsburgh some reason for optimism heading into the offseason, the Steelers remain a team with flaws.

And the biggest of those flaws isn't new.

The offensive line has long been an issue in the Steel City, and while that unit was better in 2022 than the year before, starting tackles Dan Moore Jr. and Chukwuma Okorafor are average players on a good day and liabilities on a bad one.

Unfortunately, if the Steelers are going to make improvements along the offensive front (or anywhere else, for that matter), it's likely going to have to be in the draft. The Steelers have less than $2 million in cap space and in-house free agents like linebacker Robert Spillane and safety Terrell Edmunds to address.

Potential Targets

Peter Skoronski, Northwestern: Bleacher Report's top tackle prospect in the 2023 draft, Brandon Thorn called Skoronski "a technician with nimble movement skills, excellent balance, an advanced understanding of leverage and spatial awareness that puts him in consistently good positions before, during and after contact."

Darnell Wright, Tennessee: A powerful, athletic and young tackle with experience at both left and right tackle, Wright shined against top-notch competition in the SEC. At worst, the 6'5", 335-pound prospect offers the team an excellent swing option. At best, he'd be a Day 1 starter and an immediate upgrade on the right side of the line.

Matthew Bergeron, Syracuse: At 6'5" and 320 pounds, Bergeron has all the tools to be a difference-maker at the NFL level, whether it's length, strength, agility or athleticism. He's a bit more of a project as a player, but given his physical gifts, he has the potential to become an excellent tackle capable of playing on either end of the line.