Page 7 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Dulac: Steelers have no plans to replace Matt Canada, will return in 2023

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Steeler fans everywhere:
    https://media.tenor.com/YhrhOtgamN0AAAAM/dotherightthing-spikelee.gif
    You mean plain ol' football fans... Steeler fans who paid attention knew that the coaching staff (I forget which one... maybe the RB coach?? I dunno...) said that if the Steelers kept pounding and pounding, eventually the dam would break... The same first down runs that started the season gaining 2 or 3 yards, ended up gaining 5-6 yards by week 18...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Alex Kozora
    @Alex_Kozora

Very excited for Matt Canada to return for 2023, have another "meh" season, have his contract not renewed with the Steelers softly saying they've "parted ways" with him and for this process to start all over for 2024 while Kenny Pickett is another year older.

Yay.

https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora?ref_...Ctwgr%5Eauthor
    Let's look at the other side of the Steelers low-scoring offense...

team allowed average

Bungles 20 26
    TB 18 18.2
    NO 10 19.4
    Ind 17 17
    Atl 16 21.5
    Car 16 20.4
    Vegas 10 23.2
    Bal 13 20.4
    Cle 14 21.2

EVERY win, REPEAT, EVERY win; the Steelers held their opponents at (once) or below (every other victory...) their season average... Great job Coach Austin...
    Last edited by TheRealTazz864; 01-20-2023 at 09:35 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

not a shock - it's just as I predicted. I take no solace in correctly reading the tea leaves - to me it's the same as Thomas Andrews predicting the Titanic would sink. Not a welcome outcome, just a mathematical certainty,...

Quote Originally Posted by Starlifter View Post
    there are definitely some offense minded former HC's now available that would be a huge upgrade over Canada.

The problem for Tomlin is he should have fired MC during the bye. By letting him finish the year it's made for an awkward position. The offense definitely improved and the Steelers went 7-2. So if you kept the guy around because you thought he would improve, he and the offense DID improve, what's your reasoning for making a change? if you fire him now the critics will say he was always going to be fired, and if that's the case why didn't you do it back then?

I'm hoping I'm wrong - but my spidey sense is tingling he might be sticking around.
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel View Post
    Count me among those who are not a fan of this decision. This offense has been roundly criticized by a wide range of knowledgeable professionals, so it's not just my own eyeballs...or the actual stats leading to that uneasy feeling in my gut. I am a fan of consistency but not when it involves keeping things consistently bad.

Tomlin and Canada don't work in a vacuum, so they see and hear these same criticisms. And like us, they also have their own eyeballs and stats to tell them the offense needs significant improvement. So, I will trust they understand that change does need to occur, and also trust they have the football acumen to figure out what adjustments need to be made. Tomlin better hope so. If this offense is once again pedestrian and the Steelers miss the playoffs, he will no doubt be on a very hot seat. Even if this team makes the playoffs but once again fails to win a postseason game, I think his seat ought to stay uncomfortably warm - particularly if it's the offense dragging the team down.

Hitching his wagon to Canada shows a lot of faith in my opinion.
    I doubt there is any such thing as a "hot seat" for Tomlin
    Steelers may move on from Canada after next season, but Tomlin is here for as long as he wants to be

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Starlifter View Post
    not a shock - it's just as I predicted. I take no solace in correctly reading the tea leaves - to me it's the same as Thomas Andrews predicting the Titanic would sink. Not a welcome outcome, just a mathematical certainty,...
    I know that YOU know that any "prediction" is just a guess... There are no "mathematical certainties" in "predictions." There were too many moving parts to have included certainties in any prediction... If you want to take credit for the sunrise too, you'll have to take that up with the rooster...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I gotta give Rooney a lot of credit. His commitment to mediocrity is commendable

Legend

User Info Menu

The Steelers want to bring Matt Canada back for 2023? Fine.

But no excuses. No "getting better." It's put up or shup up time for Canada and this offense to be a lot more than what it has.

https://steelersdepot.com/2023/01/ko...and-the-plane/

Legend

User Info Menu

Everyone seems to be assuming it was Tomlin's decision to keep Canada, but was it? There were rumors that Rooney favored hiring Canada. There have been reports that Rooney makes some decisions behind closed doors and let's his staff deal with the media afterwards.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Everyone seems to be assuming it was Tomlin's decision to keep Canada, but was it? There were rumors that Rooney favored hiring Canada. There have been reports that Rooney makes some decisions behind closed doors and let's his staff deal with the media afterwards.
    He who is hated the most will receive the most blame… lol.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Banned

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    I"m confused.

When I pointed out a few years ago that real coaches like Noll, Walsh, Lombardi, Parcells, Gibbs , all had control over their coordinators,... you , Captain Lemmings and Feltdizz argued fiercely that Tomlin was in control of his staffs hiring/firing. Now your saying that isn't so?