Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 135

Thread: I don't get all the optimism

  1. #1
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    I don't get all the optimism

    Shocker, I know, but it seems people are thrilled that the Steelers got "hot" against a crappy schedule, and that "Pickett developed".

    What did Pickett develop into? A gun-shy game-manager that runs an 18-PPG offense? How is that supposed to compete with the hot shot QBs in the AFC? I would have rather they cut him loose and let him learn on the fly like Peyton Manning did as a rookie, even if it meant more INTs and more losses. This team wasn't competing for anything this season anyway.

    Najee is another point of optimism, and he did finish strong, but he also put on a ton more miles on those tires and the sand is running out of the hourglass on what is usually a short career position.

    (Aside: gotta appreciate the double metaphor ^^^^)

    Heyward has another year on him, Loudermilk took a huge step back, other guys were good, not great. Watt has another injury and more miles, OL looked better but is still extremely average across the board. Highsmith was a bright spot, indeed.

    Unless there are serious changes in the staff and FA philosophy, I see more of the same in 2023. Their ceiling seems to be mediocrity, and they seem to be quite comfortable with that.

  2. #2
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Ive seen signs. But it’s far and few between.

    I think he actually looked better in preseason before the the ‘dont turnover the ball’ clamps came on in the regular season

    If Canada and tomlin are here, I won’t be surprised if there little change from the game plans we saw this year

  3. #3
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    The optimism generally centers around the progress with Kenny Pickett in the final weeks of the season

    I would be a whole lot more optimistic if the Steelers would dump Matt Canada and bring in a real OC

    Unless & until they do, I forsee an offense that will probably have a rather low ceiling

  4. #4
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Manning threw more TDs, but if you look at his rating and air yards per attempt and completion %, he didn’t really play much better than KP in his 1st season.

    KP showed his clutch gene.

    Things will get easier for him as he gets more work.

    You can see him getting on the same page with his teammates and making really headsy plays.

    Kenny just needs to get better in the RZ and things will begin to open up for him and the O.

    I don’t see how you can watch Kenny and not be hopeful?

    Kenny + TJ will get us over the hump.

    If KP played the whole season and had previous experience, we’d have been right there with KC and the Bills going for the 1 seed in the AFC.

    Are we elite yet?

    Of course not, but we can put in the work and build from here and hopefully bring in some new talent that helps get us there.

  5. #5
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    The optimism generally centers around the progress with Kenny Pickett in the final weeks of the season

    I would be a whole lot more optimistic if the Steelers would dump Matt Canada and bring in a real OC

    Unless & until they do, I forsee an offense that will probably have a rather low ceiling
    That's my fear - they bring back Canada and say "we have our plan, run the ball, don't turn it over, play great D, win close, low-scoring games".

    And then they play an explosive offense and get pantsed.

  6. #6
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post
    What did Pickett develop into? A gun-shy game-manager that runs an 18-PPG offense? How is that supposed to compete with the hot shot QBs in the AFC? I would have rather they cut him loose and let him learn on the fly like Peyton Manning did as a rookie, even if it meant more INTs and more losses.
    Exactly, I saw a QB who after around the Miami game starting being overly careful with the ball and doubting himself at times in the pocket compared to when he first started playing. I get it, turnovers are important but I think some folks on here base QB performance simply on that. The coaches need to be careful about stifling the development of a possible franchise QB for fear that he actually throws *gasp* an interception.

    And I get that he's a rookie but oooof you gotta let your QB develop and wing it at times, it seems the only times he's really allowed to do that is when the Steelers are desperate, not a great way to run an offense or develop a QB imo. Also, maybe it was just me but in the Browns game it really seemed like KP looked flat and uninterested, I'd be willing to bet he's not a fan of Canada even if he says otherwise publicly.

  7. #7
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post
    Shocker, I know, but it seems people are thrilled that the Steelers got "hot" against a crappy schedule, and that "Pickett developed".

    What did Pickett develop into? A gun-shy game-manager that runs an 18-PPG offense? How is that supposed to compete with the hot shot QBs in the AFC? I would have rather they cut him loose and let him learn on the fly like Peyton Manning did as a rookie, even if it meant more INTs and more losses. This team wasn't competing for anything this season anyway.

    Najee is another point of optimism, and he did finish strong, but he also put on a ton more miles on those tires and the sand is running out of the hourglass on what is usually a short career position.

    (Aside: gotta appreciate the double metaphor ^^^^)

    Heyward has another year on him, Loudermilk took a huge step back, other guys were good, not great. Watt has another injury and more miles, OL looked better but is still extremely average across the board. Highsmith was a bright spot, indeed.

    Unless there are serious changes in the staff and FA philosophy, I see more of the same in 2023. Their ceiling seems to be mediocrity, and they seem to be quite comfortable with that.
    Besides the double metaphor, this post is not well thought out.... First, as was stated in an earlier post, there is no such thing as a crappy schedule in the NFL... Second, I know of no football fan that knows anything about anything who thinks Pickett "developed..." He was the most "NFL-ready" QB to be drafted last April... I can't see what you were watching that made you think he was "gun-shy..." If anything, he held the ball too long, and took too many hits... 18 PPG competes very favorably when an opponent spends a quarter of a billion $$ on a "hot shot QB," then can't afford an O-line to protect him... People whine that the Steelers spend too much on defense, but forgot that the Rooneys backed the Brinks truck up LAST season and bought Ben a young OL....
    When NH takes the ball between the tackles, and doesn't dance around 'til he's in the defensive backfield, he's tough to tackle...
    Speaking for myself, I don't see any of the things you pointed to as reasons not to be optimistic... I'm not satisfied with mediocrity, I haven't heard anyone on this list say, "Don't change a thing..." but it sure beats being a Brownie...

  8. #8
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post
    That's my fear - they bring back Canada and say "we have our plan, run the ball, don't turn it over, play great D, win close, low-scoring games".

    And then they play an explosive offense and get pantsed.
    FWIW, this is how we won with Ben too. The team was generally less successful when the offense became the focal point of the team. It's a crushing weight to put on even the best of QBs.

    I think the O will open up next season (under a different OC maybe after the DJ tweet?).

    We'll see.

  9. #9
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    I dunno, this was clearly a transition/rebuilding year. Many (like myself) thought it would be tomlins first losing season. We had nothing but guesses about what trubisky and KP would bring to the table. It was another full rebuild of the offensive line after last year's debacle. On paper in august - it sure looked like this season had high potential to be a total $hit show. and after the first 8 games - it was.

    But with the humbleness that never underestimates an NFL opponent (there are no gimmes in this league) - the team continued to work hard, come together and put some impressive wins on the board.

    so yeah, while in the context of missing the playoffs I view the season as an overall failure - I'm totally optimistic about next season. I see a very young offense with our top players in their 3rd year or less. I see an offensive line that ironed out a lot of issues and perhaps are a LT away from being pretty darn good. I see a defense that led the league in interceptions - with a secondary that had some obvious shortcomings, while also getting better at stopping the run.

    We have high draft picks. A boatload of cap space and a new GM looking to make a splash in his first draft.

    I don't think there's anything contradictory about saying this season failed to meet the goal of post season play - while acknowledging it met lesser goals of finding Ben's replacement and growing/maturing young players on offense.

    When I look at the totality of this season - though I'm disappointed in the final result, I'm very optimistic about the 2023 season.

    Hope this explains why.
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

  10. #10
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    The optimism generally centers around the progress with Kenny Pickett in the final weeks of the season

    I would be a whole lot more optimistic if the Steelers would dump Matt Canada and bring in a real OC

    Unless & until they do, I forsee an offense that will probably have a rather low ceiling
    I think this is the most simple answer, right here... Most of us anticipate an eventual change in OC, but maybe not this season. The optimism is that we see that a lot (but not all) of the pieces are in place for a successful offense whenever that happens..

    When you lose a franchise QB, some teams spend several years and several draft picks to find a reasonable replacement. It's rare to go from Favre to Rodgers. Even Manning to Luck (who had a short career).

    Hell, it took 7-8 years to even get a guy who was equal or better to Neil O'Donnell's after he left. That the Steelers may have just done it in one attempt is something to be excited about. With this OC, it's hard to be certain, but there's promise... KP certainly has the clutch gene - it's just a matter of getting him someone to call more advanced plays
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

    DeVille's final Mock
    1.20 - Tailiese Fuaga, OT, Oregon St
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, WVU
    3.84 - Luke Mccaffery, WR, Rice
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •