X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joel Buchsbaum
    Legend
    • Jan 2021

Where do the Steelers go from here?

We did not make the playoffs, I did not expect to and remain a fan despite the fact that is will at least be seven years until we win a playoff game. We got lucky to win games that were given to us.

We will win a playoff game next year? It might be us, the Jets and the Lions for the longest wait to date.

The win saved Tomlin from a losing season it you buy into that one. No one of the Steelers has had losing season for 19 years and that includes ball boys, camp turks, and long snappers! They all count too, ask the Bengals this year who we beat because their long snapper hurt!

But I say we have standards and no NFL team has kept their head coach without winning a playoff game for six years and counting .... Well I did count all the NFL seasons. Could have happened years and years ago.
    Last edited by Joel Buchsbaum; 01-09-2023, 07:05 AM.
    Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game in seven years and counting. The earliest will be eight years. I guess that in Art Rooney's II, opinion is worth a 3 year extension.

Our 2024 draft looks to be grade A. Our 2023 draft is an A. The roster is talented, but Mike Tomlin is still the head coach.

*** Mike Tomlin is the best coach since the AFL- NFL merger that has not won a playoff game in 8 seasons or more. It's either him or Lewis. ***
  • Northern_Blitz
    Legend
    • Dec 2008

Who knows.

I think KP has shown that he has a pretty high floor and who knows what his ceiling could be.

If he can be average to above average while on his rookie contract, then I think we can do pretty good things.

I will be tough sledding in the AFC though because at least Allen and Mahomes are the real deal. Probably JB too.

Probably want to win the division to avoid getting KC of Buffalo in the 1st round if you want to avoid an early exit from the playoffs.

Hopefully we can leverage the rookie contract.

Let's get a real OC and see what KP can do.

Comment

• Starlifter
      Hall of Famer
      • May 2008

Too early in the off season (I hate saying that) and this is very raw and premature......but.....

Fire Canada tomorrow. Yes he was the OC of a 7-2 team that last half of the year, but he's not an NFL caliber play designer/caller. Find a true pro. I think Doug Pederson showed the difference between an NFL coach and a college coach. Canada is all-college.

That's the first and most immediate change. That being said:

The Steelers are well under the cap and have some very high picks coming their way. The offense if VERY young and very cheap right now. It's the Defense that needs addressed - particularly since it's the most expensive defense in the league.

The Steelers should take their cap space and do something they hate to do - spend in FA. I think Bush is gone. Alualu is gone. They need to resign Sutton. Go into FA and get 3 players. One shutdown corner, one impact ILB and a run-stopping D-lineman. Restructure Cam to get one more year out of him.

I think if they can do that with FA - they can then focus on the draft without necessarily needed a specific position - and just take best player available. Although if a great LT becomes available through FA or the draft - I think that's a position that still needs looked at. Dan Moore improved throughout the year - but I think an upgrade there is desirable.
      2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Comment

• T.Ferguson
        Pro Bowler
        • Sep 2021

I don't see much in the way of coaching changes, I think Canada comes back. I think Rooney needs to talk to Tomlin though about a roadmap for the team, like what the expectations are going forward, 6 straight seasons now without a playoff win, which is the longest since before Noll was hired, would get most coaches fired. I'm hoping Tomlin just finds something else and steps down (I know likely not happening).

I think the team focuses on defense in the draft along with a WR and OL. I would also draft another QB and get Trubisky the hell off the team.

Comment

• flippy
          Legend
          • Dec 2008

We win the dang SuperBowl next year.

There are definitely some areas to improve, but I think we ended on a high note in a position where we will be ready to beat anybody.

I think we coulda made a splash in the playoffs this year.

We won't get a chance to prove it, but the only teams that I would have ranked ahead of us in a power rankings at this stage are KC, Buffalo, and Philly. And I think we could give any of them a ball game right now.

We somehow got in the playoffs last year, but our team got lucky and bailed out by Ben just enough times. This time around, we didn't get totally smashed/manhandled by Baltimore and Cincy. We're back to a gritty/physical team. The transition has happened.

If you don't see it, I think your still seeing what the team was the last 5 years. We've been a struggling franchise that's been slow to turn, but we're now heading around the corner and like I've been saying from the beginning of the season KP + TW = SuperBowl 7. I just have a feeling.
          sigpic

Comment

• Ernie
            Legend
            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by flippy

There are definitely some areas to improve, but I think we ended on a high note in a position where we will be ready to beat anybody.

We won't get a chance to prove it, but the only teams that I would have ranked ahead of us in a power rankings at this stage are KC, Buffalo, and Philly. And I think we could give any of them a ball game right now.

We somehow got in the playoffs last year, but our team got lucky and bailed out by Ben just enough times. This time around, we didn't get totally smashed/manhandled by Baltimore and Cincy. We're back to a gritty/physical team. The transition has happened.

If you don't see it, I think your still seeing what the team was the last 5 years. We've been a struggling franchise that's been slow to turn, but we're now heading around the corner and like I've been saying from the beginning of the season KP + TW = SuperBowl 7. I just have a feeling.
            I like this analysis flippy.. and this is where i see our team also.
            Our O-Line is really coming on. A good draft/offseason and i think we are legit contenders next year!

Comment

• feltdizz
              Legend
              • May 2008

rookie QB and ended the season 7-2 and people think we got lucky or are headed in the wrong direction?

Same folk saying this predicted a losing season.

Arrow is pointing up!! Next year it begins!!
              Giants 10
              Steelers 31

Comment

• NorthCoast
                Legend
                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by flippy

We can count on you to be the positive voice flippy! But watching the playoff bound teams it is pretty clear the Steelers aren't very close to competing with the 1s or even 2s. If you happen to watch CIN/BAL Burrow was looking Roethlisbergeresque in escaping pressure and making plays. He has a rocket arm and is deadly accurate. CIN will be a thorn for the next decade unless the Steelers get a QB that can compete and a secondary that can cover.

I'm pretty neutral on Tomlin going forward. Can they Steelers do better with someone else? Maybe. Can they do worse? Yes. I just don't see Rooney making any kind of move at this point. And remember his #1 directive to Tomlin; "running game needs to improve". Well, check that box because the ended the season exactly average after several years of bottom of the league rushing.

Comment

• WindyCitySteel
                  Legend
                  • Nov 2011

If the offensive philosophy doesn't change, this is their ceiling. Barely beat bad teams, lose to good ones, often in blowout fashion. Longest stretch without a playoff win since the 60s, first time they weren't 1st or 2nd in the division since 2012.

Not seeing a "team on the rise" as Tomlin and you are saying, unless significant changes are made. Style points don't matter in the W-L column, but they are an indicator on the relative strength of your team. The Steelers were outscored 346 to 308 for a reason.
                  Last edited by WindyCitySteel; 01-09-2023, 08:53 AM.

Comment

• Northern_Blitz
                    Legend
                    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Starlifter
                    Too early in the off season (I hate saying that) and this is very raw and premature......but.....

Fire Canada tomorrow. Yes he was the OC of a 7-2 team that last half of the year, but he's not an NFL caliber play designer/caller. Find a true pro. I think Doug Pederson showed the difference between an NFL coach and a college coach. Canada is all-college.

That's the first and most immediate change. That being said:

The Steelers are well under the cap and have some very high picks coming their way. The offense if VERY young and very cheap right now. It's the Defense that needs addressed - particularly since it's the most expensive defense in the league.

The Steelers should take their cap space and do something they hate to do - spend in FA. I think Bush is gone. Alualu is gone. They need to resign Sutton. Go into FA and get 3 players. One shutdown corner, one impact ILB and a run-stopping D-lineman. Restructure Cam to get one more year out of him.

I think if they can do that with FA - they can then focus on the draft without necessarily needed a specific position - and just take best player available. Although if a great LT becomes available through FA or the draft - I think that's a position that still needs looked at. Dan Moore improved throughout the year - but I think an upgrade there is desirable.
                    I think extending Highsmith should be toward the top of the list for us too.
                    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 01-09-2023, 09:59 AM.

Comment

• Eich
                      Legend
                      • Jul 2010

I hope the Steelers have it in them to acknowledge that the offense was mostly abysmal. Sure, they improved once they played safe ball to eliminate turnovers and the OL came together, improving the run game significantly. But there are things holding them back and I think the number one thing is the coordinator.

KP8 showed flashes of brilliance. We need to surround him with the best NOW. I don't buy into this, "it's hard to learn a new system" excuse. This one is simple and throw-away anyway. And Kenny was thrown into it a few games into the season, with no reps with the 1's in camp. It's not like he's learned and practiced and mastered something complicated. Now that we know Kenny is THE GUY for 2023, give him an entire offseason, OTAs and Camp with a talented coordinator. If we don't, I'd expect much the same next season: Safe, basic plays, low YAC, low scoring, heavy on the run game, most games come down to the 4th quarter. Maybe squeak into the playoffs. Bounced in first round.

Comment

• T.Ferguson
                        Pro Bowler
                        • Sep 2021

I'll just be blunt and say the only way I'd be optimistic is if the team hired a new DC and OC and Tomlin let both do whatever they wanted for the most part and that is very likely not happening. But until that happens or there is a HC change I don't see any real progress being made. The defense remains a big question mark (look at what legitimately good offenses did against it this season or what happens when just one players misses game time) the offense still bad even with some improvements.

And speaking of the offense I'm not sure how much real progress KP can make in this offense, I see fans wanting or expecting this big leap that will put the offense over the top but the problem is I don't think Tomlin/Canada want that, they want KP to be a game manager in a conservative low scoring offense which eliminates his ceiling and potential. Development is a big question mark as well under this coaching staff.

Comment

Working...