• Aug 2013

R I P Franco

Associated Press – Sports
    Associated Press – Sports
    View Profile
    Steelers Hall of Fame running back Franco Harris dies at 72
    Story by By WILL GRAVES, AP Sports Writer • 11m ago
    Comments

PITTSBURGH (AP) — Franco Harris, the Hall of Fame running back whose heads-up thinking authored “The Immaculate Reception,” considered the most iconic play in NFL history, has died. He was 72.

FILE - Pittsburgh Steelers' Franco Harris (32) eludes a tackle by Oakland Raiders' Jimmy Warren as he runs 42-yards for a touchdown after catching a deflected pass during an AFC Divisional NFL football playoff game in Pittsburgh, Dec. 23, 1972. Harris' scoop of a deflected pass and subsequent run for the winning touchdown — forever known as the "Immaculate Reception" — has been voted the greatest play in NFL history. On the 50th anniversary of the "Immaculate Reception" — Friday, Dec. 23, 2022 — Pittsburghers recall how it boosted morale during the collapse of the steel industry and has served as a cultural rallying point ever since. (AP Photo/Harry Cabluck, File)
    FILE - Pittsburgh Steelers' Franco Harris (32) eludes a tackle by Oakland Raiders' Jimmy Warren as he runs 42-yards for a touchdown after catching a deflected pass during an AFC Divisional NFL football playoff game in Pittsburgh, Dec. 23, 1972. Harris' scoop of a deflected pass and subsequent run for the winning touchdown — forever known as the "Immaculate Reception" — has been voted the greatest play in NFL history. On the 50th anniversary of the "Immaculate Reception" — Friday, Dec. 23, 2022 — Pittsburghers recall how it boosted morale during the collapse of the steel industry and has served as a cultural rallying point ever since. (AP Photo/Harry Cabluck, File)
    © Provided by Associated Press – Sports
    Harris' son Dok told The Associated Press his father passed away overnight. No cause of death was given.

His death comes two days before the 50th anniversary of the play that provided the jolt that helped transform the Steelers from also-rans into the NFL's elite and three days before Pittsburgh is scheduled to retire his No. 32 during a ceremony at halftime of its game against the Las Vegas Raiders.

Harris ran for 12,120 yards and won four Super Bowl rings with the Pittsburgh Steelers in the 1970s, a dynasty that began in earnest when Harris decided to keep running during a last-second heave by Steelers quarterback Terry Bradshaw in a playoff game against Oakland in 1972.

With Pittsburgh trailing 7-6 and facing fourth-and-10 from their own 40 yard line and 22 seconds remaining in the fourth quarter, Bradshaw drifted back and threw deep to running back French Fuqua. Fuqua and Oakland defensive back Jack Tatum collided, sending the ball careening back toward midfield in the direction of Harris.

FILE - Former Pittsburgh Steelers running back Franco Harris stands next a statute of himself on Sept. 12, 2019, at Pittsburgh International Airport near Pittsburgh. (Nate Guidry/Pittsburgh Post-Gazette via AP, File)
    FILE - Former Pittsburgh Steelers running back Franco Harris stands next a statute of himself on Sept. 12, 2019, at Pittsburgh International Airport near Pittsburgh. (Nate Guidry/Pittsburgh Post-Gazette via AP, File)
    © Provided by Associated Press – Sports
    While nearly everyone else on the field stopped, Harris kept his legs churning, snatching the ball just inches above the Three Rivers Stadium turf near the Oakland 45 then outracing several stunned Raider defenders to give the Steelers their first playoff victory in the franchise's four-decade history.
    2020 MNF Exec Champion
  • Sword
    Pro Bowler
    • Sep 2011

omg...I'm shocked and at 72...wtf....RIP Franco and thanks for all the memories!

Comment

• NorthCoast
      Legend
      • Sep 2008

Just caught this on the radio. Sad, sad news. Especially in the week of his big play anniversary.

Comment

• Djfan
        Legend
        • May 2008

The timing is a mockery. This guy was immortal. So sad. RIP Franco. You're the reason we have so many generational fans.
        Steel City Mafia
        So Cal Boss (Ret)
        [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

Comment

• WindyCitySteel
          Legend
          • Nov 2011

Unbelievable timing. RIP, legend.

Comment

• crushedspirit
            Pro Bowler
            • Feb 2021

RIP Franco, a legend

Comment

• Ghost
              Legend
              • May 2008

Franco's Italian Army!

Humble:

"You see, during that era, each player brought their own little piece with them to make that wonderful decade happen," Harris said during his Hall of Fame speech in 1990. "Each player had their strengths and weaknesses, each their own thinking, each their own method, just each, each had their own. But then it was amazing, it all came together, and it stayed together to forge the greatest team of all times."
              sigpic

Comment

• feltdizz
                Legend
                • May 2008

The timing is crazy.

Didn’t Madden die right before his tribute as well if I’m not mistaken.

This news truly shocked me this morning.
                Giants 10
                Steelers 31

Comment

• Joel Buchsbaum
                  Legend
                  • Jan 2021

Oh man. RIP Franco, and thanks for the memories. Steeler fans flags are at half staff for you.
                  Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game in seven years and counting. The earliest will be eight years. I guess that in Art Rooney's II, opinion is worth a 3 year extension.

Our 2024 draft looks to be grade A. Our 2023 draft is an A. The roster is talented, but Mike Tomlin is still the head coach.

*** Mike Tomlin is the best coach since the AFL- NFL merger that has not won a playoff game in 8 seasons or more. It's either him or Lewis. ***

Comment

• Chucktownsteeler
                    Legend
                    • May 2008

Just believable sad news.

R.I.P., Franco.
                    Help me find my post proving I am a Yinzer!

Find the post Ovi labeled me a troll!

We want to roll people!

Comment

• Northern_Blitz
                      Legend
                      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by NorthCoast
                      Just caught this on the radio. Sad, sad news. Especially in the week of his big play anniversary.
                      This RIP

10 chars

Comment

• snarky
                        Pro Bowler
                        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by feltdizz
                        The timing is crazy.

Didn’t Madden die right before his tribute as well if I’m not mistaken.

This news truly shocked me this morning.
                        Years ago I remember my Ecology 201 professor remarking that statistically speaking men tend to die before big events in their lives (birthdays, anniversaries, Christmas, etc.) and women tend to die after. It may be confirmation bias but I note that it does seem to happen more frequently with men (although Betty White serves as a counter example).
                        In response to his pleas, an officer said: "You think we've never arrested somebody that's made national media? ... We deal with the Bengals all the time."

[url="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3880848"]http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3880848[/url]

Comment

• tiproast
                          Starter
                          • Nov 2010

My condolences to all football fans that are feeling sad today.

Franco was a great representative of all the positive elements of professional football.

Comment

• Buzz
                            Legend
                            • Dec 2017

so many good memories of Franco and Steelers' football from those dynasty years

will never forget him steamed and running over Hollywood Henderson for a TD in the Super Bowl

first jersey I ever bought was a Franco #32

think I'll have to do something special with it in tribute/memorial

any suggestions?
                            Last edited by Buzz; 12-21-2022, 10:17 AM.

Comment

• Eich
                              Legend
                              • Jul 2010

Wow. So unexpected. Such odd timing with all the recent discussion of the Immaculate Reception and the upcoming game.

RIP Legend

Comment

Working...