Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Credit to the coaches: RBs

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    But the games were played and the Saints and Colts are equally as bad as us and have a 4-7-1 and 4-8 record. It isn't like we were big favorites is the game or blew either team out, rather we didn't turn the ball over more than they did and we won. Do these facts put it in better perceptive? By the way your allowed to quote me in full context when making a point as to why the coaching has been better. This way I'm crystal clear.
    I'd say results are mixed. Not all good. Not all bad.

The O is trending up.

KP is improving.

The running game and OL is trending up.

The pass blocking is still meh and the play calling could improve to help here a little more.

GP is coming of age, but the WRs are meh.

The D is having ups and downs.

We're stopping the run, but we're not getting enough pressure on the QB.

The backend coverage is mixed results.

LB coverage is mixed.

ST coverage almost cost us the game. The KOs are awful.

Punts are a mixed bag.

We need to pray of FG attempts.

But overall guys are fighting.

No one's given up.

Everyone seems to be putting in the effort.

And I still sense that Mike Tomlin team that never gives up and is gonna gut everything out to work to win close games in the end.

Would be nice to have that Ben magic at the end of games, but we're building a different team identity here where the last 3 games, we seem like we can start out fast and not wait until the 4th Q to make any plays.

I think we just have to roll with, it's gonna be different with KP8. And hopefully it keeps improving to the point where it's even better than any of us expect.

Legend

User Info Menu

But the games were played and the Saints and Colts are equally as bad as us and have a 4-7-1 and 4-8 record. It isn't like we were big favorites is the game or blew either team out, rather we didn't turn the ball over more than they did and we won. Do these facts put it in better perceptive? By the way your allowed to quote me in full context when making a point as to why the coaching has been better. This way I'm crystal clear.
    The reason they have the same record as us is because we beat them despite them being favored.

If those games went as predicted, we'd have 2 wins and they'd each have 5.

Or maybe a better way to look at it is just take those games out of the schedule. We have 2 wins then and they have 3...although you'd have to look at win rate since the total number of games is different.

Legend

User Info Menu

You miss my point. We beat bad teams but we were supposed to be worse than even those teams. We are not as bad as we thought.

The records are similar yes. Because WE beat them.

They would have 5 wins to our 2 wins, had we lost those games.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    The reason they have the same record as us is because we beat them despite them being favored.

If those games went as predicted, we'd have 2 wins and they'd each have 5.

Or maybe a better way to look at it is just take those games out of the schedule. We have 2 wins then and they have 3...although you'd have to look at win rate since the total number of games is different.
    Stop copying me before I post!

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    How bout this people.

WindyCitySteel credits coaching focus. DeVille and Dizz (Tomlins biggest defender) say nah its about the QB.

I love it!

Don't follow some hard fast agenda and you are able to have surprising and insightful takes.
    wait, am i the biggest defender?

That's sad because I've bashed him for his love of the short passing game... this dude must be really hated in these parts
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's 2024 offseason motto: Throw KP into the deep end and let him sink or swim. If he sinks, draft a 1st round QB in 2025

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    We finally gain a little perspective.... and then we die.
    Sometimes people die first.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    wait, am i the biggest defender?

That's sad because I've bashed him for his love of the short passing game... this dude must be really hated in these parts
    The word "defender" had no "s" and hence is not plural. Therefore, the name immediately preceding it is the only one so Identified.

Frankly, I view your thoughts as most similar to mine of the three of you.

You are nevertheless, not a on the "fire Tomlin yesterday" team like WindyCitySteel.

Therefore, I highlighted that WindyCitySteel among the three of you actually credited coaching as interesting.

The larger point is that I find all of you "reasonable". Even Tomlin defender supreme Dizz has issues with Tomlin at times. He disagreed with crediting coaching too like you did here.

I wanted to highlight that when you have thoughtful discourse, peoples takes on a player or coach vary.

Some people are 100 percent loath to credit Tomlin for anything. Likewise, others won't blame Tomlin for anything. Neither extreme is true.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 12-01-2022 at 03:26 PM.

TCFCLTC-

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    Sometimes people die first.
    Not always a bad thing.

TCFCLTC-

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skyhawk View Post
    And semblance of a running game allowed them to run a positive screen play yesterday for the first time in many years.
    What’s a screen play? lol
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post
    Thanks...I used to be a lot more negative about sports in my younger days, perspective on things changes as you age and realize there's enough to complain about in the real world
    you mean a lot
    more negative in the beginning of the season.. lol.

The bye came at a good time. You came back with a ton of positive energy. Maybe its the schedule lightening up or seeing Kenny trending in the right direction.. whatever it is, its much easier to interact with posters who have balanced takes on the team.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"