Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Its time to shut Najee down

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Yes, and IF Warren or Snell proves to due better, we can think about seriously upgrading the position is the draft, unless of course Warren proves to be great. Yes, it might take an injury for the Steelers to confirm what some fans suspect. That is that Harris isn't good starting back!

Rb's that hit big plays vs the run and pass are needed, and in case you haven't noted NFL QB's play has really dropped off! Texas RB Robinson first the bill. He's best drafted prospect at RB in years I say.

It's not like picking a RB in round one is a mistake, rather giving a cap busting QB on his 2nd or 3rd contract is a mistake. HUGE.
    Better QB play is a huge need. Pickett's dump off game isn't getting many points or yards. Pickett is last in the NFL of plays over 20 yards. We need a new LT and LG. The run D needs at DT/NT and new ILB to stop the run. Better play calling / coaching is badly needed. Tomlin is 19-18-1 in last 38 games played and hasn't won a playoff game in six years and counting.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    It's not like picking a RB in round one is a mistake, rather giving a cap busting QB on his 2nd or 3rd contract is a mistake. HUGE.
    There's a lot of angst currently in Denver and even GB about the QB position. Hope it becomes three for three when Watson takes the field and ends up a huge fail in CLE. Could potentially set that franchise back nearly a decade.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    There's a lot of angst currently in Denver and even GB about the QB position. Hope it becomes three for three when Watson takes the field and ends up a huge fail in CLE. Could potentially set that franchise back nearly a decade.
    Don't worry he will set the franchise back.
    Better QB play is a huge need. Pickett's dump off game isn't getting many points or yards. Pickett is last in the NFL of plays over 20 yards. We need a new LT and LG. The run D needs at DT/NT and new ILB to stop the run. Better play calling / coaching is badly needed. Tomlin is 19-18-1 in last 38 games played and hasn't won a playoff game in six years and counting.

Legend

User Info Menu

Yes, and IF Warren or Snell proves to due better, we can think about seriously upgrading the position is the draft, unless of course Warren proves to be great. Yes, it might take an injury for the Steelers to confirm what some fans suspect. That is that Harris isn't good starting back!
    I'm not ready to give up on Najee yet. He is not healthy. And I like our stable of backs too.

I certainly don't want another first round back at the expense of oline AGAIN.

Rb's that hit big plays vs the run and pass are needed, and in case you haven't noted NFL QB's play has really dropped off!
    They are not "needed" to win SuperBowls. The last elite back who fits your description with a ring?

Marshall Faulk over 2 decades ago.

Texas RB Robinson first the bill. He's best drafted prospect at RB in years I say.
    The last back you could say that about who won a championship? Again Marshall Faulk.

It's not like picking a RB in round one is a mistake.
    Really?
    Less than 2 years ago YOU suggested drafting Najee in the first round. You did that. I wanted a lineman THEN in the first.

Now you say drafting a back in the first is NOT a mistake while implying drafting Najee WAS a mistake?

Dude you crack me up!
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 11-30-2022 at 10:20 AM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

I think the big question is can Watson be a great QB without Hopkins? That's not a $250m bet I would have made.

I was watching some of the Denver game this weekend and Wilson was so off which totally shocked me. I've seen highlights and heard he's bad, but he's gotta be hurt. Something is wrong because he used to be able to throw a beautiful deep ball and that's gone.

Legend

User Info Menu

Rb's that hit big plays vs the run and pass are needed, and in case you haven't noted NFL QB's play has really dropped off! Texas RB Robinson first the bill. He's best drafted prospect at RB in years I say.

Picking a RB early in round 1 is a big mistake IMO. You have to think about (1) the opportunity cost of not using that high pick on something like an elite T and (2) the replacement cost of using your 2nd round pick on a RB instead of your 1st (Here are the top 5 RBs this year: Jacobs 24OA, Henry 45OA, Chubb 35OA, Barkley 2nd OA, Sanders 53OA, Dalvin Cook 44OA).

It seems like you can get really good backs in the top half of the 2nd...and that you generally don't want to draft a RB much earlier than we drafted Najee. I wasn't thrilled about drafting a RB at the end of the 1st, but the benefit is that you can give him the 5th year option and tag him once or twice. I think it's pretty rare these days for a RB to have a prime that's longer than 6 or 7 years.

Barkley was the last really early RB I think. And I don't think he's been all that much better than the other guys on that list.

It's not necessarily because the RB won't be good...they are probably one of the easier positions to scout. It's that the other guy you'd be drafting in that top 10ish spot likely plays a position that's far more valuable and much harder to replace (i.e. QB, T, Edge).

Legend

User Info Menu

Will the trade for Wilson go down as the worst trade in NFL history?

Seems like it's cratered their chances at being competitive for 3-5 years. The huge cap hit (which becomes enormous if they cut him), the poor play, the lost draft picks. I can't think of a trade that was worse...especially because trading is so rare in the NFL.

They don't have a 1st or 2nd this draft, so they probably have him play at least next year too. Then they should start getting really good picks. Maybe they can make him a post June 1 in cut after year 3?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    Picking a RB early in round 1 is a big mistake IMO. You have to think about (1) the opportunity cost of not using that high pick on something like an elite T and (2) the replacement cost of using your 2nd round pick on a RB instead of your 1st (Here are the top 5 RBs this year: Jacobs 24OA, Henry 45OA, Chubb 35OA, Barkley 2nd OA, Sanders 53OA, Dalvin Cook 44OA).

It seems like you can get really good backs in the top half of the 2nd...and that you generally don't want to draft a RB much earlier than we drafted Najee. I wasn't thrilled about drafting a RB at the end of the 1st, but the benefit is that you can give him the 5th year option and tag him once or twice. I think it's pretty rare these days for a RB to have a prime that's longer than 6 or 7 years.

Barkley was the last really early RB I think. And I don't think he's been all that much better than the other guys on that list.

It's not necessarily because the RB won't be good...they are probably one of the easier positions to scout. It's that the other guy you'd be drafting in that top 10ish spot likely plays a position that's far more valuable and much harder to replace (i.e. QB, T, Edge).
    I'm one who believes Harris has franchise back ability. With that said, he certainly hasn't proven that this season. The question is why. I think it's his foot and the OL. Do I believe it's wise to spend a first round pick on a RB? Only on rare occasion. Would I have rather had OL? Of course. RBs have a short shelf life and can be found in later rounds like WRs.

Legend

User Info Menu

Najee is not getting shut down. Ab injury not considered serious.

https://twitter.com/JHartman_PIT/sta...I88JrLA9qWY8Zw

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I think the big question is can Watson be a great QB without Hopkins? That's not a $250m bet I would have made.

I was watching some of the Denver game this weekend and Wilson was so off which totally shocked me. I've seen highlights and heard he's bad, but he's gotta be hurt. Something is wrong because he used to be able to throw a beautiful deep ball and that's gone.
    An even bigger question for Watson; can he be the same QB outside of the domed stadium in the winter winds of CLE? PIT?