Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gp > dj

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JTP53609 View Post
    I sound like an old timer but players now seem to intentionally try to catch one handed passes bc our world is enamored by superstar plays over the routine stuff. Media acts like middle schoolers when a guy catches a ball with one hand. Pickens should of caught that ball in the corner instead of going for a highlight reel
    I was thinking the same thing last night.
    From the 2010-2022 season,(A 13 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Currently, Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game in 6 years.

Dolphin fans in the 90ís held on to Don Shula for too long for what he did in the playoffs in the 70ís...
    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2023) holding on to Tomlin for too long for what he did in 2008, with Cowher's players & coaches.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    When we see DJ repeating this throughout the season, it makes me wonder if any coach on the team has ever taken him aside to address it
    There needs to be a discussion with him. That's for sure.
    From the 2010-2022 season,(A 13 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Currently, Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game in 6 years.

Dolphin fans in the 90ís held on to Don Shula for too long for what he did in the playoffs in the 70ís...
    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2023) holding on to Tomlin for too long for what he did in 2008, with Cowher's players & coaches.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    When we see DJ repeating this throughout the season, it makes me wonder if any coach on the team has ever taken him aside to address it

strong is the fear in this one! - Yoda

DJ looks like he is terrified of getting hit.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JTP53609 View Post
    I sound like an old timer but players now seem to intentionally try to catch one handed passes bc our world is enamored by superstar plays over the routine stuff. Media acts like middle schoolers when a guy catches a ball with one hand. Pickens should of caught that ball in the corner instead of going for a highlight reel
    I am an older timer and I said it when Pickens made the catch early this year. It was a blessing and a curse. Number 1 it masked a putrid throw from Mitch and number 2 he would try to emulate late it week in and week out. The EZ pass was a bit wide, I have more concerns with his 2 drops in the 3rd quarter. Seems like his hands were in a very odd position. Both of these catches he should have made.

As far as DJ I will now sat "he is what he is". I am only glad we extended him 2 years. I think he is playing afraid or "in his fears".
    2023 Mock Draft

1) Jordan Addison, WR, USC
    2a) Trenton Simpson, ILB, Clemson (Bears pick)
    2b)
    Darnell Wright, OT, Tennessee (Steelers pick)
    3) TBD
    4) Nick Hampton, Edge, App State
    5) No Pick
    6) No pick
    7a.) Keeanu Benton, DL, Wisconsin
    7b.) Dax Hollifield, ILB, Virginia Tech

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    It is so odd watching him consistently run the wrong way after a catch to try to get around defenders. Is he really afraid of contact? Or does he think he can get more YAC? I don't know but that needs to stop.

ď[I was] just trying to make a play. You expect a defender to come a certain way sometimes and they donít. Stuff happens,Ē Johnson said via Batko. ďItís not like I try to do that on purpose. Just gotta make sure Iím going in the right direction next time.Ē
    - after backward YAC run against Saints

Stop hatin' on DJ. He was just trying to make a play.....(again ).

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    DJ has been disappointing this year.
    especially when you consider how overjoyed and ecstatic everyone on this board was when we drafted DJ.

lmao....

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    strong is the fear in this one! - Yoda

DJ looks like he is terrified of getting hit.
    I think that DJ is trying to get more out of a play. Sometimes a player just needs to get a 1st down or as close to a 1st down as possible. Coaches don't want to take a players nature or extra effort away from him. It can be a fine line there.

It's a teaching and learning point.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    I think that DJ is trying to get more out of a play. Sometimes a player just needs to get a 1st down or as close to a 1st down as possible. Coaches don't want to take a players nature or extra effort away from him. It can be a fine line there.

this is the second time in 3 weeks.

he’s trying to avoid getting hit.

he isn’t the first person to do it but it’s frustrating anytime you see a player refuse a tough 5 to 6 yards for an easy -3 yards after the catch.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post

Maybe after the 100th time someone will make an effort to teach the 4th year WR not to run backwards.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    It is so odd watching him consistently run the wrong way after a catch to try to get around defenders. Is he really afraid of contact? Or does he think he can get more YAC? I don't know but that needs to stop.
    he has to understand when to do that and when not... his first 2 moves on that play were fine, but the last one went back over 5 yards - and he had to dive at the end
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

2023 Way Too Early Mock
    1. Devon Witherspoon, CB, Illinois
    2a. John Michael Schmitz, C, Minnesota
    2b. Matthew Bergeron, OT, Syacuse
    3. Keeanu Benton, NT, Wisconsin
    7a.
    7b.