Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: It wasn't just the Bengals that knew the Steelers' plays

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    I will agree that it was better under Haley than any of these other guys. But...
    Only one of those two guys went to two SB as OC. The other didn't.
    Only one of those two guys knew how to use Mike Wallace. The other shut him down.
    One of those 2 guys left an turned around the Colts. Then, left there and got a SB in Tampa. The other spent 2 years unemployed before coaching high school, now finding his way to the xfl

Haley did have a superior "mid-range" passing attack to Arians - you were more likely to catch a 12 yard pass and turn it into 20 in his offense.
    Still, they struggled and often went to no-huddle drives where Ben called his own plays - and that's when they moved the ball the best. Seems we often forget this part when giving Haley credit...

https://steelersdepot.com/2015/11/to...-to-no-huddle/

Neither was perfect, but I'll take the guy that was OC to 2 STEELERS super bowl games every day of the week - and twice on Sunday - lol
    They were both good. Miles ahead of what we've had since.

But Haley was such a jack-ass that Ben told the organization the they had to pick between the HoF QB and the OC. And the big boss thought Arians put Ben in harm's way too much.

I don't think Canada is good. I think he should have stopped being our OC in the bye week. And my guess is that he would look much better if the QBs he had were: Peyton Manning, Ben in his prime, Andrew Luck, and Tom Brady.

I think Arians is a good coach. But he's also been in amazing situations.
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 11-22-2022 at 02:08 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whisper View Post
    I'm not the one who is neck-deep in hypocrisy. You firmly occupy THAT space: you whine that others are being negative but constantly are negative yourself.
    hypocrisy
    noun
    hy∑​poc∑​ri∑​sy hi-ˈpš-krə-sē also hī-
    pluralhypocrisies
    : a feigning to be what one is not or to believe what one does not : behavior that contradicts what one claims to believe or feel
    You're Debbie Downer about EVERY SINGLE THING Steelers, I am encouraged by some things, discouraged by others. It's like to think it's simply too nuanced for a person like you to understand, but the kind of person you are is a troll. You know exactly what you're doing.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I think most believe that Tomlin not forcing Canada to do some self scouting to not be as predictable or firing him does not reflect well on Tomlin.

But many of your criticisms about Tomlin have a lot of speculation.
    I consider them educated guesses based on years of evidence.

Legend

User Info Menu

DJ is a casualty of this simpleton offense, they don't bother to try to scheme him open, just throw up their hands when he's doubled. This happens around the league, not sure I've ever heard another coach so quickly throw up the white flag when asked to respond to a scheme.

https://steelersdepot.com/2022/11/mi...-of-the-group/

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post
    I consider them educated guesses based on years of evidence.
    And you state them as if they are complete fact.

I think we do know for sure that (i) the OCs have been bad since Haley and (ii) the QB play has also been below average since Ben got injured (hopefully KP changes this).

Tomlin needs to fix the first part by doing a real OC search and hiring someone that's actually good this time. He isn't an offensive minded coach and he needs a good OC to have a good offense.

There's not too much they can do about the second point above. Teams generally suck when they get bad QB play. Hopefully KP can become above average while he's still cheap.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post
    DJ is a casualty of this simpleton offense, they don't bother to try to scheme him open, just throw up their hands when he's doubled. This happens around the league, not sure I've ever heard another coach so quickly throw up the white flag when asked to respond to a scheme.

https://steelersdepot.com/2022/11/mi...-of-the-group/
    And the fact that Kenny doesn't seem to throw to him.

I agree that DJ should be more involved in the offense. If he had more opportunities, I think he'd do less stupid, run backward stuff when he got the ball. I think he's trying to do too much with the small number of chances he gets.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    And the fact that Kenny doesn't seem to throw to him.

I agree that DJ should be more involved in the offense. If he had more opportunities, I think he'd do less stupid, run backward stuff when he got the ball. I think he's trying to do too much with the small number of chances he gets.
    really? You think he forgot how to run after the catch?

I just think DJ is terrified of getting hit and made his living mostly running 3 yard curls.

Hell, didn’t he fumble vs KC last year when no one touched him in the open field? I don’t think he is that good.

Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    really? You think he forgot how to run after the catch?

I just think DJ is terrified of getting hit and made his living mostly running 3 yard curls.

Hell, didn’t he fumble vs KC last year when no one touched him in the open field? I don’t think he is that good.
    Same as in the KC game. I think he felt like he needed to do too much.

And he seems to make really stupid decisions in those cases.

Starter

User Info Menu

Tomlin owns the team?
    might as well.

Legend

User Info Menu

I don’t believe whisper has ever said anything positive. Either he is whatever’s twin brother or maybe he is one in the same… jk

Those damn w’s man..
    I'm glad I'm not the only one getting those two (if they are indeed two) twisted.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher