Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: It wasn't just the Bengals that knew the Steelers' plays

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    You need to sit back and enjoy this Tomlin made team. It's his team; this is what he wants and how he wants it. I want him to continue to mold and shape things all in the form that he sees fit. 3 more years of Tomlin please!
    It is undeniably the way Obtuse Shades wants it; who can even deny that at this point? 5 QBs and 2 OC later, it's still the same way: coaching by living in your fears. Obtuse Shades likes cowardly play calling.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whisper View Post
    It is undeniably the way Obtuse Shades wants it; who can even deny that at this point? 5 QBs and 2 OC later, it's still the same way: coaching by living in your fears. Obtuse Shades likes cowardly play calling.
    I still don't know to whom you are referring... Cool Shades was demonstrably, provably, Joe Biden... Obtuse Shades?? ...is, well, obtuse...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    This has been my biggest criticism of him over the years. His love for the short passing game and being unwilling to take risks offensively
    He fired Arians who like to come out and take a shot or two, and since then it's been all OCs who are tasked with a short/quick passing game, per his orders.
    Passing game was WAY BETTER under Haley than it ever was under Arians.

We STILL threw deep plenty. M Bryant was not catching dink and dunks. Haley just taught Ben to hit the underneath stuff instead of taking sacks and throwing picks.

People forget how dismal our passing was when we won it in 2008. PLENTY of 3 and outs because Ben under Arians took sacks, or missed low percentage shots.

If you keep the opponent at under 14 points, the offense can get away with being 20th in scoring. Does not mean the Arians system was great.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 11-22-2022 at 01:17 PM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

The fact that you value fighting me more than agreeing with a legit criticism of Tomlin has me feeling kinda bad.

Are you sure I can't pay you a little rent for that space in your head I occupy?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Passing game was WAY BETTER under Haley than it ever was under Arians.

We STILL threw deep plenty. M Bryant was not catching dink and dunks. Haley just taught Ben to hit the underneath stuff instead of taking sacks and throwing picks.

People forget how dismal our passing was when we won it in 2008. PLENTY of 3 and outs because Ben under Arians took sacks, or missed low percentage shots.
    I will agree that it was better under Haley than any of these other guys. But...
    Only one of those two guys went to two SB as OC. The other didn't.
    Only one of those two guys knew how to use Mike Wallace. The other shut him down.
    One of those 2 guys left an turned around the Colts. Then, left there and got a SB in Tampa. The other spent 2 years unemployed before coaching high school, now finding his way to the xfl

Haley did have a superior "mid-range" passing attack to Arians - you were more likely to catch a 12 yard pass and turn it into 20 in his offense.
    Still, they struggled and often went to no-huddle drives where Ben called his own plays - and that's when they moved the ball the best. Seems we often forget this part when giving Haley credit...

https://steelersdepot.com/2015/11/to...-to-no-huddle/

Neither was perfect, but I'll take the guy that was OC to 2 STEELERS super bowl games every day of the week - and twice on Sunday - lol
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

2023 Way Too Early Mock
    1. Paris Johnson Jr., OT, Ohio State
    2a. John Michael Schmitz, C, Minnesota
    2b. O'Cyrus Torrence, OG Florida
    3. Jack Campbell, ILB, Iowa
    4. Keeanu Benton, NT, Wisconsin
    7a.
    7b.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    You need to sit back and enjoy this Tomlin made team. It's his team; this is what he wants and how he wants it. I want him to continue to mold and shape things all in the form that he sees fit. 3 more years of Tomlin please!
    Tomlin owns the team?
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post
    The fact that you value fighting me more than agreeing with a legit criticism of Tomlin has me feeling kinda bad.

Are you sure I can't pay you a little rent for that space in your head I occupy?
    I'm not the one who is neck-deep in hypocrisy. You firmly occupy THAT space: you whine that others are being negative but constantly are negative yourself.
    hypocrisy
    noun
    hy∑​poc∑​ri∑​sy hi-ˈpš-krə-sē also hī-
    pluralhypocrisies
    : a feigning to be what one is not or to believe what one does not : behavior that contradicts what one claims to believe or feel

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    I will agree that it was better under Haley than any of these other guys. But...
    Only one of those two guys went to two SB as OC. The other didn't.
    Only one of those two guys knew how to use Mike Wallace. The other shut him down.
    One of those 2 guys left an turned around the Colts. Then, left there and got a SB in Tampa. The other spent 2 years unemployed before coaching high school, now finding his way to the xfl

Haley did have a superior "mid-range" passing attack to Arians - you were more likely to catch a 12 yard pass and turn it into 20 in his offense.
    Still, they struggled and often went to no-huddle drives where Ben called his own plays - and that's when they moved the ball the best. Seems we often forget this part when giving Haley credit...

https://steelersdepot.com/2015/11/to...-to-no-huddle/

Neither was perfect, but I'll take the guy that was OC to 2 STEELERS super bowl games every day of the week - and twice on Sunday - lol
    BA had the luxury of a young AND some great defenses.

I still like BA the most as well simply because he let Ben do his thing because he knew regardless of the outcome the defense could save him.

We have to remember Ben said he felt guilty by the lack of production on the offense at times in 2008. We went 10 quarters without a TD pass I believe and had a game or 2 where the D scored more than the offense.

Haley also had to deal with Wallace holding out I believe. Pretty sure he missed Haley’s first year of camp which put him at a disadvantage. Haley’s biggest flaw though was those ridiculous substitutions after big gains. Dude would have Bell AND AB on the sideline on 1st and goal. Why?

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm not the one who is neck-deep in hypocrisy. You firmly occupy THAT space: you whine that others are being negative but constantly are negative yourself.
    hypocrisy
    noun
    hy∑​poc∑​ri∑​sy hi-ˈpš-krə-sē also hī-
    pluralhypocrisies
    : a feigning to be what one is not or to believe what one does not : behavior that contradicts what one claims to believe or feel
    I don’t believe whisper has ever said anything positive. Either he is whatever’s twin brother or maybe he is one in the same… jk

Those damn w’s man..

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post

I think most believe that Tomlin not forcing Canada to do some self scouting to not be as predictable or firing him does not reflect well on Tomlin.

But many of your criticisms about Tomlin have a lot of speculation.