Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Results 61 to 66 of 66

Thread: On Higgins; "They Schemed Him Open"

  1. #61
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    barely heard his name last game.
    Apparently, we did not hear his name because Burrow avoided him because Minkah had a big game last time:

    Fitzpatrick did not have the impact Sunday that he did in the first game in Cincinnati when he was AFC Defensive Player of the Week with 14 tackles, an early interception return for a touchdown and a late block of an extra point try that gave the Steelers an opportunity to win in overtime. He was credited with three tackles and one pass defended on Sunday.

    “I didn’t get much action,” Fitzpatrick said. “It was what it was. They stayed away from me a little bit.”

    Smart man, Joe Burrow.

    There were enough other areas for the Bengals quarterback to attack. He ended up throwing for 355 yards and four touchdowns with a 104.1 passer rating. He completed passes of 21, 24, 29, 24, 33, 27 and 32 yards




    In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

    TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

  2. #62
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Apparently, we did not hear his name because Burrow avoided him because Minkah had a big game last time:
    Pretty much tells you where the hole is in the defense. Steelers desperately need a #1 CB, but I want OL early in the next draft so it's likely a CB from Rd 3 or 4.

  3. #63
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Pretty much tells you where the hole is in the defense. Steelers desperately need a #1 CB, but I want OL early in the next draft so it's likely a CB from Rd 3 or 4.
    We are the worse secondary in football (22 passing TDs allowed) . The “scheme” excuse is just that; an excuse.

    Tomlin was hired with a supposed secondary expertise on his resume. So much for that. Yet , he’s not drafted and coached a good cornerback since he’s been here. Speaks volumes.
    Last edited by Steel Maniac; 11-24-2022 at 01:52 PM.
    From the 2010-2021 season, (A 12year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Currently, Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game in 5 years.

    Dolphin fans in the 90’s held on to Don Shula for too long for what he did in the playoffs in the 70’s...
    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2021 ) holding on to Tomlin for too long for what he did in 2008, with Cowher's players & coaches.

  4. #64
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Apparently, we did not hear his name because Burrow avoided him because Minkah had a big game last time:
    I can buy that for a corner.. not for a safety.
    Tomlin’s coming back so what can you do?


  5. #65
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Minkah was targeted 9 times in game one.

    He was targeted ONCE last week.

    One target, one breakup, zero passes completed. 37 QB rating.

    I get your point, as a safety you can "read and react" but watch the game man. Cincy regularly passes to the sidelines with intention. Very smart.

    They sent receivers to both sideline and Burrow went opposite Minkah routinely. He often did not even look his direction.

    You cannot prowl the middle and react in that circumstance. You have to roll to one of those sidelines. You aren't rolling on the side Burrow targets because there already was help. You gotta commit.

    Burrow is going as far from him as possible. Minkah cannot just abandon the opposite side when a corner AND Edmonds were on the other side being attacked.

    Burrow was VERY deliberate in attack us as far from Minkah as possible.

    Minkah absolutely did his job.

    That predictability SHOULD work to our advantage. It is up to the other guys to step up and take advantage of it.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 11-24-2022 at 03:03 PM.




    In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

    TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

  6. #66
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Despite all of the above:
    Only ONE of the last 8 championship QBs fit your description of "most lethal".

    Since the start of our current millennium, only Ben has multiple championships as an "off script" specialist.

    There is value in those skills true. But not near as much as some think.

    Considering the GOAT is the very antithesis of this description, I would suggest it's value towards championships is modest.
    Do you watch regular season games Cap? I've seen several mobile/dual threat QB's make various types of plays with their arms, legs, or by extending plays. It isn't new to the league. Tarkenton, Elway, Young, Mcnabb, Wilson, Jackson, and others fit this mold. They are or were lethal QB's that helped their teams win a lot of games in the NFL.

    Football simply isn't about the "championships" for me. I don't believe that to be true for most fans of this sport.

    More and more dual threat QB's with athleticism are coming out of college and are being drafted more and more. If I were a coach, I'd love to have a QB that can deliver with his arms and legs when necessary.

    When I watched QBs like Allen, Mahommes, ect run for a 1st down at a critical moment in the game vs the Steelers I thought damn. The coverage was good enough but they made a play with their legs to extend a drive.

    How many teams have a prime Tom Brady right now in the NFL? How many teams will draft a Tom Brady in the future?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •