Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can we win a SB with KP.

Legend

User Info Menu

Can we win a SB with KP.

I think we as a community get caught up in many debates about KP. From his lack-luster 4 years at Pitt and finally a breakout season to his grand total of 2 TDs this season. Who here believes we can win a SB with KP? Yes, he is a rookie. But the NFL is geared more than ever to give rookies a shot at success early. We all can name many examples. So, what's your gut? Mine says he's likely a scrub but possibly can turn out to be a relatively decent game manager. Does that win you SBs? For about 4 years, I have been opining about the Steelers need to use top 3 picks to develop a new franchise QB. When I was screaming from the rooftops about trading up to grab Mahomes or wanting the Steelers to grab Lamar Jackson...it fell on many deaf ears. So here we are in the nightmare situation where we reach for a third round talent in the first and will ride the KP train for 3-4 seasons before he washes out and the FO finally admits they were wrong. Realistically, we could have drafted Mahomes, Lamar Jackson, Josh Allen, Tua, Justin Herbert, Jalen Hurts, Josh Allen, and Dak Prescott all since 2016.

Now before someone says Mahomes wasn't realistic. It actually was. Do a search on what I was saying about Mahomes. You sell the farm for that kind of talent. It would have taken two firsts and a second to move to 10. We would have missed out on TJ Watt...yes big hit, missed out on Juju (no longer with us), and missed out on Terrell Edmonds. But, who wouldn't trade that group for Mahomes?

The Steelers draft strategy has overall been solid. I agree with it most years. With that said, when you have a declining Ben and you have nothing in the wings worth squat and you see a talent like Mahomes sitting there you need to make bold moves for the future.

We won't even get into all the QB talent they passed on to draft another WR or LBr.
    Last edited by Shawn; 11-19-2022 at 01:41 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think it's too early to answer this question.

But for now I say: Yes.

I think he needs to get to above average while still on his rookie deal for it to happen. And there's time for that to happen.

I would like our odds better if we were in the NFC though.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I think it's too early to answer this question.

But for now I say: Yes.

I think he needs to get to above average while still on his rookie deal for it to happen. And there's time for that to happen.

I would like our odds better if we were in the NFC though.
    NB you surely are an optimist and I hope you are right. I just don't think above average gets the Steelers to the SB. Nor do I believe he will get to above average. Is it too early to answer? Yes probably but nothing I've seen from him makes me think he's any better than Trubisky or Andy Dalton.

Legend

User Info Menu

Gee, what a shocker, another pre-draft biased confirmed after five games. Color me seven shades of surprised.

Add it to the pile...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post
    Gee, what a shocker, another pre-draft biased confirmed after five games. Color me seven shades of surprised.

Add it to the pile...

LOL...funny. You mean pre-draft scouting assessment but yes. Confirmed. Some here were predicting he would blow up the league out of the gates. Others here can't seem to believe their eyes and assume KP will magically get better than his film from college. Do I believe how KP has started is proof he can't make it in the league? No. I actually said he needed to sit for at least a season and just learn the pro game. I said maybe then he might be a serviceable to slightly above average NFL QB. I wouldn't call that bias because bias is assumed to be unfair. Mine is no more biased than any NFL scout.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    So here we are in the nightmare situation where we reach for a third round talent in the first and will ride the KP train for 3-4 seasons before he washes out and the FO finally admits they were wrong.
    This is my main point on the damage taking KP will be if they were wrong and reached for him: It will take 4 years to admit they were wrong and move on - the "Steeler way." I really am hoping KP works out and become a franchise QB, but it's all I got is "hope." So far, nothing jumps out and says "This is a special, franchise QB" but I am still hopeful he can become one.

Even as a rookie, Ben showed an awful lot more than KP thus far. Let's not forget: Ben went 15-0 before his 1st loss in the playoffs his rookie year. That alone should show you how special he was. Oh and before someone cries that Ben was on such a better team? The Steelers were a mere 6-10 the year before he was drafted. Soak that sh-t in. Look it up. And now Cool Shades is dealing with the reality of coaching a team without Ben. 3-6.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Short story I don't think so and sure hope I'm wrong. Makes me sick to think we wasted a lot of chances with Ben

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whisper View Post
    This is my main point on the damage taking KP will be if they were wrong and reached for him: It will take 4 years to admit they were wrong and move on - the "Steeler way." I really am hoping KP works out and become a franchise QB, but it's all I got is "hope." So far, nothing jumps out and says "This is a special, franchise QB" but I am still hopeful he can become one.

Even as a rookie, Ben showed an awful lot more than KP thus far. Let's not forget: Ben went 15-0 before his 1st loss in the playoffs his rookie year. That alone should show you how special he was. Oh and before someone cries that Ben was on such a better team? The Steelers were a mere 6-10 the year before he was drafted. Soak that sh-t in. Look it up. And now Cool Shades is dealing with the reality of coaching a team without Ben. 3-6.
    I agree on all points.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelwolf View Post
    Short story I don't think so and sure hope I'm wrong. Makes me sick to think we wasted a lot of chances with Ben
    Bingo. Without a true franchise QB we won't be sniffing a SB for at least 6-7 years. 4 years to admit they are wrong with KP then another 2-3 to find and develop a new QB. 6-7 is being very hopeful. I feel like we are in the 80s again.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    NB you surely are an optimist and I hope you are right. I just don't think above average gets the Steelers to the SB. Nor do I believe he will get to above average. Is it too early to answer? Yes probably but nothing I've seen from him makes me think he's any better than Trubisky or Andy Dalton.
    Above average on a rookie deal has led to lots of teams going to SBs. We can do that too.

But you have to get lucky with the QB.

I don't think we've seen anything in the NFL that makes you say "he's going to be above average". But it's still pretty early. I think most rookies look significantly worse than Ben did.