Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 97

Thread: Can we stop comparing Pickett to Mahomes or Ben?

  1. #71
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Are you not aware that the more something is done.. the less uncommon it becomes.

    Best believe though, if it only happens for the Saturday's and McCown's (sp) of the world while Black players have to continue to prove they belong by having coaching experience.. I will speak on the double standard.
    Didn't you say earlier it wasn't about race?

  2. #72
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    and?

    Again, Saturday has ZERO experience and you and a few others are defending the hiring like it's normal when its never been done before in the history of the game.

    I love seeing you guys defend an owner who says "its a good thing he doesn't have any professional experience" and think you are making a solid point.

    I know what you are defending, and it sure isn't something you would defend if it was the other way around. Hell, you have issues with Tomlin hiring a former head coach who was just fired.
    The thing is there's always a first time for everything. Then it becomes normal and routine. The result will dictate whether it becomes a trend or dies a quick death.

  3. #73
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post
    Didn't you say earlier it wasn't about race?
    The conversation between Dizz and NJ is about race despite what Dizz said earlier. I don't know why he tried to deny it.

    Here is the history.

    There is a long standing debate between the two about whether Tomlin was a qualified hire.

    NJ pointed to Tomlins "one season" as a coordinator as being insufficient to qualify him and that Rooney "had" to hire a black coach as the namesake of the Rooney rule.

    Therefore, whenever a less qualified coach gets hired you can bet Dizz will point it out. Pretty much every time.

    I know because I've been in those debates generally agreeing with Dizz. Regardless, ones view of Tomlin's history as head coach, he was VERY qualified for the job.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 11-20-2022 at 04:40 PM.




    In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

    TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

  4. #74
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    The conversation between Dizz and NJ is about race despite what Dizz said earlier. I don't know why he tried to deny it.

    Here is the history.

    There is a long standing debate between the two about whether Tomlin was a qualified hire.

    NJ pointed to Tomlins "one season" as a coordinator as being insufficient to qualify him and that Rooney "had" to hire a black coach as the namesake of the Rooney rule.

    Therefore, whenever a less qualified coach gets hired you can bet Dizz will point it out. Pretty much every time.

    I know because I've been in those debates generally agreeing with Dizz. Regardless, ones view of Tomlin's history as head coach, he was VERY qualified for the job.
    BTW, my opinion on the rule?

    A legit problem of the Rooney rule is this kind of perception. However, prior to the rule, truth was that owners simply were ignoring qualified black coaches.

    Did the rule lead to the Tomlin interview? I'd suggest as consisering diverse option is a Rooney value, he would interview a diverse pool regardless. He did that when we hired COWHER. Considered Greene but HIRED the best candidate regardless the race. That is how the rule is meant to work. Rooneys dont need a rule .. it is how they operate.

    Tomlin?
    Tony Dungy recommended Tomlin. One can imagine Tomlin killing an interview EASY.

    Anybody questioning Tomlins hire over a guy who teaches fat men how to block is ridiculous.




    In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

    TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

  5. #75
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    Obviously Saturday is doing something right, and almost had his team win a big one against PHI. I hope he can succeed for as long as he can. There are so many garbage coaches that have been hired since they are part of the fraternity so to speak. I'm all for an interim who supposedly didn't deserve a shot to go in there and disrupt this ego-driven club, and have his team competing at a high level.

    Go Jeff Go

  6. #76
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post
    Didn't you say earlier it wasn't about race?
    No.. I said bringing up Reggie Wayne wasn’t “just about race.”

    Which means race is part of it but Wayne is also a former Colts player who is a coach on staff.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

    "Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"



  7. #77
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    The conversation between Dizz and NJ is about race despite what Dizz said earlier. I don't know why he tried to deny it.

    Here is the history.

    There is a long standing debate between the two about whether Tomlin was a qualified hire.

    NJ pointed to Tomlins "one season" as a coordinator as being insufficient to qualify him and that Rooney "had" to hire a black coach as the namesake of the Rooney rule.

    Therefore, whenever a less qualified coach gets hired you can bet Dizz will point it out. Pretty much every time.

    I know because I've been in those debates generally agreeing with Dizz. Regardless, ones view of Tomlin's history as head coach, he was VERY qualified for the job.
    please point out where I tried to deny it. I said it wasn’t just about race. Its also about coaches who put in years trying to get a HC gig.

    I have no problem pointing out the racial angle in my post about NFL coaches.. the main reason ai joined the Trib board is because of the racism directed at Tomlin.
    Last edited by feltdizz; 11-20-2022 at 09:43 PM.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

    "Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"



  8. #78
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    The thing is there's always a first time for everything. Then it becomes normal and routine. The result will dictate whether it becomes a trend or dies a quick death.
    I agree.. but the first time a player or coach skipped the line to get a TV gig best believe their was an uproar.

    but now, most TV studios have 1 host who didn’t play the game and all the other chairs are filled with former coaches and players.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

    "Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"



  9. #79
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    BTW, my opinion on the rule?

    A legit problem of the Rooney rule is this kind of perception. However, prior to the rule, truth was that owners simply were ignoring qualified black coaches.

    Did the rule lead to the Tomlin interview? I'd suggest as consisering diverse option is a Rooney value, he would interview a diverse pool regardless. He did that when we hired COWHER. Considered Greene but HIRED the best candidate regardless the race. That is how the rule is meant to work. Rooneys dont need a rule .. it is how they operate.

    Tomlin?
    Tony Dungy recommended Tomlin. One can imagine Tomlin killing an interview EASY.

    Anybody questioning Tomlins hire over a guy who teaches fat men how to block is ridiculous.
    teaching fat men how to block is what sone of the top coaches of the game did or played.

    Lombardi, noll, belichik.

    come to think of it. Who the hell hires guys who were receivers when they played?

    can we expect coach AB in the future?
    Coach chase claypool.

    it’s clear they see the game differently.

  10. #80
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    teaching fat men how to block is what sone of the top coaches of the game did or played.

    Lombardi, noll, belichik.

    come to think of it. Who the hell hires guys who were receivers when they played?

    can we expect coach AB in the future?
    Coach chase claypool.

    it’s clear they see the game differently.
    Hines Ward interviewed for the Texans last year.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

    "Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"



Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •