Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 176

Thread: My biggest concern with Kenny

  1. #161
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by crushedspirit View Post
    Regular season is regular season, but the playoffs is an entirely different animal. Tomlin has found that out several times over.

    The example of Tenn in the playoffs the last few years is a legit one. They have built the pinnacle of what a top play action team looks like, and have little to show for it. If that is the Steeler goal, then we have many more dark days ahead.
    I believe that Tomlin realizes almost everything as an experienced coach. Most fans probably don't listen.

    I live with the belief that there are many different ways or formulas that can win in sports or win in the NFL.

    How do you define "dark days"?

  2. #162
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    If that is our ultimate goal, then the Steeler franchise will be wondering in the wilderness for years and years to come with no chip on the horizon.
    How many years did it take for the Steelers to win another "chip" from the 70's great teams until Cowher?

  3. #163
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    dark days like a conference championship loss to KC? okay.. I can live with that. Would be upset but I donít view conference championships or playoff losses as ďdark daysĒ
    Not comparing them to Tenn because they're not even close to that, and won't even get to any AFCC anytime soon. First you have to build a play action game with a top RB and at least one top WR. Dark days for me is several seasons of little to no success. Making a playoff appearance to only get humiliated is not an accomplishment, especially when almost half of the 32 teams make it in.

    With this play action build, everything has to be perfect, and hope the elite QBs you face have an off day. That strategy hasn't worked for years, but sure keep hammering away.

  4. #164
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by crushedspirit View Post
    Not comparing them to Tenn because they're not even close to that, and won't even get to any AFCC anytime soon. First you have to build a play action game with a top RB and at least one top WR. Dark days for me is several seasons of little to no success. Making a playoff appearance to only get humiliated is not an accomplishment, especially when almost half of the 32 teams make it in.

    With this play action build, everything has to be perfect, and hope the elite QBs you face have an off day. That strategy hasn't worked for years, but sure keep hammering away.
    play action has to be perfect? Not understanding that one at all. Everyone agrees we need better OL play and a better run game. That is how you get effective play action. You don’t have to be perfect, just throw the ball to WR’s who should have more room due to play action.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?


  5. #165
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post
    Not trying to protect Kenny, just hoping our offensive dullard of a head coach doesn't ruin him. Kenny needs to play better, but that's going to get increasingly harder when the margin of error is zero and he's being taught to be scared on the field.
    listening to phil simms on his weekly radio spot.

    he mentioned he was sometimes in situations where it was stressed to not turn the ball over and how difficult it was to play the position that way

  6. #166
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    play action has to be perfect? Not understanding that one at all. Everyone agrees we need better OL play and a better run game. That is how you get effective play action. You don’t have to be perfect, just throw the ball to WR’s who should have more room due to play action.
    You're talking in a general sense. I thought the discussion was about competing come playoff time.

  7. #167
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by crushedspirit View Post
    Not comparing them to Tenn because they're not even close to that, and won't even get to any AFCC anytime soon. First you have to build a play action game with a top RB and at least one top WR. Dark days for me is several seasons of little to no success. Making a playoff appearance to only get humiliated is not an accomplishment, especially when almost half of the 32 teams make it in.

    With this play action build, everything has to be perfect, and hope the elite QBs you face have an off day. That strategy hasn't worked for years, but sure keep hammering away.
    Play action success doesn't change if you run more successfully.

    It seems weird because it should. But there's lots of data that shows that your play action passes work just as well even if you don't have a good running game

  8. #168
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by crushedspirit View Post
    You're talking in a general sense. I thought the discussion was about competing come playoff time.
    that is part of the discussion.

    Still not sure what you mean by needing everything to be perfect. The QB still has to make plays. You don’t have to be perfect for this to work. Plenty of teams don’t use the Tenn formula and still lose in the playoffs.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?


  9. #169
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    Play action success doesn't change if you run more successfully.

    It seems weird because it should. But there's lots of data that shows that your play action passes work just as well even if you don't have a good running game
    not sure about that one NB. Damn near everyone says once the run game gets going defenses bite on play action.

    Now, the QB still has to make the right read when passing. Last Thursday I watched easy pitch and catch vs GB when using play action.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?


  10. #170
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    listening to phil simms on his weekly radio spot.

    he mentioned he was sometimes in situations where it was stressed to not turn the ball over and how difficult it was to play the position that way
    Of course, it's the same in any profession. Nobody does their best work when they're scared and timid and questioning every decision as they make it.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •