Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 Mock draft

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I think it depends where we are picking.

If we are in the top 5 or so, I don't like the idea of trading back (at least more than a few spots) because I think the value falls exponentially in the first round draft (unless there's just a huge haul).

Maybe if we're around 10th or so?

And since I think the value of the 5th round option is less than it was before they changed the pay scales, I'd usually be trying to trade from the end of the 1st into the top of the 2nd. Because I think teams probably value the "first round pick" pedigree and / or overvalue the 5th year option.

I guess the counter option is that the 5th year option becomes very valuable when you do get a big hit in the 1st (like TJ or Minkah). So it's either really valuable...or worthless.
    Also depends how far back you have to drop. I could go either way with this one. On one hand, it would be nice to have the opportunity to take a Joe Thomas type of player. On the other hand, an RG III haul (2012, 2013, and 2014 firsts and a 2012 second) could set the stage for 15 years. Especially if you can compound that initial haul into other minor hauls. I realize that some of this is Madden fantasy land talk but imagine having like 12+ picks in the first and second rounds over say, 3 years.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    Mock draft 2023

Round one ) RB Robinson. The best offensive player on the board. A tripple threat, High YPA guy as an inside runner, an outside runner and a pass catcher. Explosive / elite acceleration, combined with good moves, size, and speed. Enough to beat linebackers and defensive lineman in the open field. He is the best back to come out in years. Our offense sucks.

Round two ) Offensive line. Patterson. A knockdown offensive line player and people mover. Has not allowed a sack for his enitre career. A leader and team captain. Smart. I don't care if he's not a tackle. We need good guards too.

Round three ) Inside linebacker. Campbell a big man who's a tackling machine and productive vs. the pass, with 14 pass defended and 4 interceptions in 23 starts! A team leader, captian and MVP, notice the theme for this mock draft?

Round four ) DT/NT Mustipher. A big think man, suited for NT in the 3-4 or DT in the 4-3, nickel and dime. I do not care if he's a run defender only!

Trade chase Claypool for draft picks!
    Robinson is a stud. However running back is devalued because of a few factors.
    1st their shelf life is short.
    2nd it is a position that you can find pro bowl value later in drafts.
    For a team to draft a rb real early they would have to be close to winning it all and the stud rd would be the final piece to the puzzle.
    We're sadly not there.
    Patterson has position flexibility. At about 6 4 300 he's not big for OL (we need to remind our scouting team lack of size matters) but he looks good in a phone booth. I've watched him play but didn't see him move well enough. He's in a zone scheme so he may be able to pull n trap well just haven't seen it.
    Like him but I'm leaning on him being more of a 3rd round prospect but it's early in the process. He would help us for sure inside and even better if he could play the pivot.
    Campbell plays ILB. Watched a few Iowa games n he jumps out. Has size n good enough play speed. A mauler inside. A poor mans Vander Esch. 3rd rounder seems about right unless he runs poor. If he runs great he may go earlier.
    Draft is so far away. If it was today we would have the 4th selection.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Fair enough; Then it basically comes down to is our new GM good and is the scouting department good enough. We have the smallest/cheapest scouting dept. in the league? Am I correct on that? If so, then Rooney needs to join modern times and get up to speed and get a quality scouting dept.
    I don't know if anyone actually knows about smallest / cheapest scouting staff. Just like coaching staff stuff. I don't think that stuff is public information. But I've certainly read / heard people say it.

And it may matter less now that we have a new GM and new head of scouting.

The guy who is our current head of scouting was by all accounts pretty heavily involved in beating the team that just kicked our buts.

So hopefully (i) scouting good players is a repeatable skill and (ii) he's good at it.
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 10-31-2022 at 01:55 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    If we have to do it, then so be it. But all the more reason to get as many additional picks as possible. By moving Claypool or whoever. We are going to take a WR late again in the draft anyway. We always do. I don't want Claypool leaving and we get nothing in return. That's the stupidest thing in the world to me.
    I don't know SM.

Let's say we could trade him now for a 5th.

Is having him play for another year (and the rest of this year) worth more than a guy that gets drafted and maybe doesn't even make the team (which I'm guessing is a likely outcome for a 5th round pick)?

I think we'd all trade him for a 2nd. But if it's a 4th or less, it's a harder call IMO.

If he plays a few more games, maybe he ends up with the team lead in TD passes

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I don't know SM.

Let's say we could trade him now for a 5th.

Is having him play for another year (and the rest of this year) worth more than a guy that gets drafted and maybe doesn't even make the team (which I'm guessing is a likely outcome for a 5th round pick)?

I think we'd all trade him for a 2nd. But if it's a 4th or less, it's a harder call IMO.

If he plays a few more games, maybe he ends up with the team lead in TD passes
    I'd trade DJ and keep Claypool. More affodable and shows some spirit
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hackjam View Post
    Also depends how far back you have to drop. I could go either way with this one. On one hand, it would be nice to have the opportunity to take a Joe Thomas type of player. On the other hand, an RG III haul (2012, 2013, and 2014 firsts and a 2012 second) could set the stage for 15 years. Especially if you can compound that initial haul into other minor hauls. I realize that some of this is Madden fantasy land talk but imagine having like 12+ picks in the first and second rounds over say, 3 years.
    I agree that it depends on what the trade package looks like...and probably who's on the board and what we think of them.

I do like the idea of having more lottery tickets in the first two rounds. But I think those top 5-ish picks are really, really valuable so I'd want a lot of compensation.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Let's not discount that we may be drafting a QB in Round 1. This may be a repeat of what the Cards did when they draft Rosen and then Kyler Murray.
    thereís probably zero chance we do this.
    you need to follow this team closer of you think thatís a possibility

what you hope for and what the Steelers will do are 2 entirely different things.

besides. It not exactly Andrew luck/ John elway types at the top of next years draft

Legend

User Info Menu

As of right now, #Steelers slated to have the following picks inside the top 50:

No. 3 overall
    No. 35 overall
    No. 43 overall

Exactly how to kickstart a rebuild.

https://twitter.com/ByJoshCarney

Legend

User Info Menu

Updating the Steelers 2023 NFL Draft picks after the trade deadline

Taking a look at the Steelersí 2023 draft picks, by round, after their recent trades.

Nov 2, 2022

The Pittsburgh Steelers were players before the 2022 NFL trade deadline, and it equates in a need to take a look at their upcoming draft capital in the 2023 NFL Draft. After dealing Chase Claypool to the Chicago Bears, and acquiring William Jackson III from the Washington Commanders, here is a look at the teamís allotment of picks.

2023 NFL Draft Picks
    Round 1
    Round 2 (from CHI)
    Round 2
    Round 3
    Round 4
    Round 7
    Round 7 (from DEN)

If you are wondering what happened to the Steelersí 5th and 6th round draft picks, here is a recap on what happened to those selections.

The Steelers donít have their 5th round pick due to the trade with the Seattle Seahawks for Ahkello Witherspoon. As for the Steelersí 6th round pick, they traded that to the Denver Broncos for Malik Reed, but in the same trade they gained a pick from the Broncos in the 7th. At this time, it hasnít been confirmed whether that 7th Round pick is the Broncos pick or the Minnesota Vikings selection which the Broncos had obtained.

At this point in the 2022 regular season, the Steelersí 2-6 record gives them the 4th overall pick in the draft, and the Bears have the 12th overall pick. This will obviously change as the season progresses, but the Steelers having four draft picks on Days 1 and 2 of the draft is something many fans will be excited about as the team continues to rebuild to a championship contender.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...illiam-jackson

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    ummmm, no.

we have way too many other needs.
    Watch him play and watch Harris. Robinson is a special prospect, he fits the needs of the NFL, and I do not see ANY sure fire DL, CB, or OT...besides these positions are prone to busts at least the CB's and DL are. Running back until proven otherwise is a need. Watch him and you'll see what I mean.
    The offense needs a RB capable of hitting big plays in the rushing and passing department, and two new starting OL. The run D needs at DT/NT and new ILB to stop the run. Better play calling / coaching is badly needed. Time to put them all on the shopping list for the next draft / offseason because they are not changing this year. That much I'm fairly confident of.