Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 Mock draft

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I'm not sure I would discount OG if we traded back in Round 1. Dotson IS NOT the naswer at Left Guard. Guy gets worse every game. I'm not sure if Dotson is hurting Dan Moore or if Dan Moore is hurting Dotson, but that side of the OL is a mess.
    100% agree, that side of the line needs an overhaul with legit talent, not middling starters. Another legit WR and an OC that has a modern grasp of the NFL and has total control over the offense and that would be a fantastic offseason. They've spent too much draft capital and salary cap on D, time to bring the O into the 21st century. I'm not in love with Cole, but he's a decent bridge to the next great Steeler center.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    Now that we're basically out of the playoffs, I hope we play Pierre more. He seemed to do well when he was in there. Better to get a bigger sample size on him so we aren't forced into a decision without lots of info (like Spoon last year).
    Absolutely in on this. The rest of this season is like an extended training camp. Evaluate who we have and who is in for next year.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'd put DL in this category too. Larry O is up at the end of the season. Cam is getting older.

Maybe edge if we can get an elite guy...but there are bigger needs.

Lots of holes on this team. Take the best player IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    I would not discount a stud DT.
    I think it's possible, BUT... DL is a position that you can find a stud in the 2nd and 3rd round simply because CB and LT (along with QB, WR, Edge, none of which this team needs early) seem to be such a premium that they tend to dominate the first round picks.

Kinda the same reason you rarely see Guards or Centers go in the first. Even Creed was there at the end of the 2nd.

Basically, it's an observation on my end that I'm hoping the team also sees - lol
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Early April Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama
    2.51 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.84 -Sedrick Van Pran-Granger, C, Georgia
    3.98 -<tbd>
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I'm not sure I would discount OG if we traded back in Round 1. Dotson IS NOT the naswer at Left Guard. Guy gets worse every game. I'm not sure if Dotson is hurting Dan Moore or if Dan Moore is hurting Dotson, but that side of the OL is a mess.
    I would even put C as part of LG. If you find a stud C, Cole can kick over to LG. But if you have a choice between a Joe Thomas and an Alan Faneca level draft pick, I grab the LT prospect without thinking.After the Joe Thomas prospect I would rank the Darrelle Revis prospect. I would then have the interior line and DL, then receivers/linebackers etc.

Doesn't matter to me draft picks vs. FAs but will need a combination of both.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    I think it's possible, BUT... DL is a position that you can find a stud in the 2nd and 3rd round simply because CB and LT (along with QB, WR, Edge, none of which this team needs early) seem to be such a premium that they tend to dominate the first round picks.

Kinda the same reason you rarely see Guards or Centers go in the first. Even Creed was there at the end of the 2nd.

Basically, it's an observation on my end that I'm hoping the team also sees - lol
    I think this reasoning makes sense.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    I would even put C as part of LG. If you find a stud C, Cole can kick over to LG. But if you have a choice between a Joe Thomas and an Alan Faneca level draft pick, I grab the LT prospect without thinking.After the Joe Thomas prospect I would rank the Darrelle Revis prospect. I would then have the interior line and DL, then receivers/linebackers etc.

Doesn't matter to me draft picks vs. FAs but will need a combination of both.
    The best C typically come off in the 2nd round. Kinda to your point re: Thomas and Faneca, just because it's a big need doesn't mean you take it first... position premium also gets factored in.

IMO, the best C is John Michael Schmitz from Minnesota and he's a really good fit - he's strong at the POA, but he moves well for pulling, etc. This is the Steelers type of guy. I like him SO MUCH, that I'm revising my sig mock soon to include him. I fully expect him to be on the short list when they get to those second round picks.

In my personal dream scenario, they go OT, C, G with the first 3 picks - but, ya know that isn't happening. But, "2 rounds, line fixed", sounds amazing. Gimme DL/LB in the 3rd/4th and just deal with the secondary for one more year.

3.98 -<tbd>

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    The best C typically come off in the 2nd round. Kinda to your point re: Thomas and Faneca, just because it's a big need doesn't mean you take it first... position premium also gets factored in.

IMO, the best C is John Michael Schmitz from Minnesota and he's a really good fit - he's strong at the POA, but he moves well for pulling, etc. This is the Steelers type of guy. I like him SO MUCH, that I'm revising my sig mock soon to include him. I fully expect him to be on the short list when they get to those second round picks.

In my personal dream scenario, they go OT, C, G with the first 3 picks - but, ya know that isn't happening. But, "2 rounds, line fixed", sounds amazing. Gimme DL/LB in the 3rd/4th and just deal with the secondary for one more year.
    I won't be surprised if they do this. I think Spoon and Wallace are both under contract next season. Pierre is an RFA. So we probably lose Sutton (voids). Maybe we try to make CB a UFA add? I think we maybe get one big UFA add this season. But maybe it's another Wallace level signing...or we get Sutton back on a reasonable contract.

Also hoping that we can keep Edmunds on the cheap again. He's a pretty solid (and unspectacular) guy.

We need to do something at ILB too. So maybe that's the big add, but I think it's more likely to be one of those first 3 picks. Maybe we also offer Bush a similar contract we offered Edmunds this year prior to the draft so it's not a hair on fire need.

Lots of positions we need to upgrade this offseason...DL is in trouble too. Wish Leal didn't get hurt. He's back at practice now, so hopefully he can get a bunch of snaps down the stretch to help develop / evaluate.
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 11-23-2022 at 12:20 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

You know your season is in the sh-tter when you are talking the next draft only 10 games into the season. Obtuse Shades has really done a wonderful job this offseason, as has Colbert.

Legend

User Info Menu

I won't be surprised if they do this. I think Spoon and Wallace are both under contract next season. Pierre is an RFA. So we probably lose Sutton (voids). Maybe we try to make CB a UFA add? I think we maybe get one big UFA add this season. But maybe it's another Wallace level signing...or we get Sutton back on a reasonable contract.

Also hoping that we can keep Edmunds on the cheap again. He's a pretty solid (and unspectacular) guy.

We need to do something at ILB too. So maybe that's the big add, but I think it's more likely to be one of those first 3 picks. Maybe we also offer Bush a similar contract we offered Edmunds this year prior to the draft so it's not a hair on fire need.

Lots of positions we need to upgrade this offseason...DL is in trouble too. Wish Leal didn't get hurt. He's back at practice now, so hopefully he can get a bunch of snaps down the stretch to help develop / evaluate.
    You gotta protect Kenny, so here's my current dream draft (now updated in sig, too)
    1. Best LT on the board (there are 3-4 that would be reasonable)
    2a. Best C on the board (I've read lots of good things about John Michael Schmitz)
    2b. Best G on the board (I've read lots of good things about O'Cyrus Torrence)

CB is certainly a need. LIl Peezy is going to be on the short list. He is a willing run defender and has solid cover skills - that's a Steelers DB all day long. I wonder if familiarity with a player personally can influence your decision to select or pass on them.

3.98 -<tbd>

Legend

User Info Menu

Not sure how high peezy jr will go but if he’s in 10-20 range snd we’re picking 12/13.
    I thINK we’ll draft him and then hit OL IN THE 2nd round with both picks. Hoping LT then center as well.
    let cole/Daniels/Dotson/whoever battle it out for guard