Thread: OT: pro-football-reference.com

Legend

User Info Menu

OT: pro-football-reference.com

Can anyone get this site to work anymore? They "upgraded" their security a couple weeks ago, since then only the page headers load and nothing else when I use a browser. Mobile still works. Complaints to their Twitter feed fall on deaf ears. Sad, I used this site religiously for 10+ years but it's useless now.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/

Legend

User Info Menu

No problems here. Are you referring to stathead?

Legend

User Info Menu

The link above, not stathead. Looks like it's only my MacBook. Tried every browser I have, clearing history, reboot, etc., nothing works. Just loads the header and stops dead. On my work/Windows box and iPhone, works.

Legend

User Info Menu

works for me on desktop

Legend

User Info Menu

Rats. I get scores of 403 Forbidden errors when I look in the JS console, every browser.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post
    Can anyone get this site to work anymore? They "upgraded" their security a couple weeks ago, since then only the page headers load and nothing else when I use a browser. Mobile still works. Complaints to their Twitter feed fall on deaf ears. Sad, I used this site religiously for 10+ years but it's useless now.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/
    Still works for me on my desktop at home and at work.

Legend

User Info Menu

So I copy/pasted one of the URLs that was giving the 403 error, and it brought up a Captcha screen. PFR started using that a couple weeks ago and then stopped, but it apparently is being cached somewhere for images and style sheets. Not sure how to clear them.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post
    So I copy/pasted one of the URLs that was giving the 403 error, and it brought up a Captcha screen. PFR started using that a couple weeks ago and then stopped, but it apparently is being cached somewhere for images and style sheets. Not sure how to clear them.
    I think I fixed it. Seems my IP was getting blocked. I cleared all my caches from ~/Library/Caches, cleared my cache in the browser, and then connected to the internet through my mobile hotspot to get a different IP. PFR loaded all the pages and resources, which no longer use the Captcha nonsense. When I switched back to my wifi router, the issue was gone.

Thank you for tuning into another episode of Geek Weekly!