Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Muth concussed for the 3rd time in 22 games

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    22 games..probably more like 14 months

but I’m willing to bet that isn’t a high amount for football players
    Since I do not have Muth's health history in college FB...I will say that Luke Kuechly retired after 3 successive concussions over 3 seasons (2016-2019). Again not saying they are a fair comparison, but 3 in 14 months is a lot.

Brothervad

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think it’s a lot and his future is in jeopardy
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Starlifter View Post
    I think it’s a lot and his future is in jeopardy
    Agreed. If I had to guess I'd say he will retire because his first contract is up..

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brothervad View Post
    Since I do not have Muth's health history in college FB...I will say that Luke Kuechly retired after 3 successive concussions over 3 seasons (2016-2019). Again not saying they are a fair comparison, but 3 in 14 months is a lot.

Brothervad
    Linebacker concussions are probably a bit different. I’m not a doctor but I think the way Luke player the game he probably had more severe concussions over his career.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

while they admit it's an inexact science in the article...

Is there a point at which someone should stop playing contact sports?

The answer depends on whom you ask.
    Lumba-Brown said that she sees a string of “three, four or five” concussions as a “warning sign” to call it quits and switch to another, safer sport.
    Gioia said the “progression of the injuries” matters more than the number of injuries. He asks: Has it taken less and less force to cause each subsequent concussion? Or is it taking longer for you to recover from the same type of head injury?
    If it takes two or three months now to recover from a brain injury and it used to take a week or two, that may mean the brain is “not bouncing back as well as it did before,” Gioia said.
    That’s when he starts talking to athletes about retiring.
    Even if you are lucky to not get hit again, just by staying in the game, you double your recovery time from the added metabolic stress of physical activity, said John Leddy (https://www.buffalo.edu/news/experts/john-leddy-faculty-expert-concussions.html), a clinical professor of orthopedics and the director of the Concussion Management Clinic at the University at Buffalo.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/oth...or/ar-AA12AlYq

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Linebacker concussions are probably a bit different. I’m not a doctor but I think the way Luke player the game he probably had more severe concussions over his career.

Ok well Jordan Reed a TE had 7 documented concussions and retired at 30, Muth is 24 and 40% of the way there. Again, I realize I am not a doctor as well, so it will come down to the factors mentioned in the article I attached on my previous thread.

But it is something of a concern.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm afraid he might not get through his rookie contract at this rate. It's a shame. He's a good player that is rising. A TE running seams routes is gonna take some heavy hits.

Legend

User Info Menu

Just wait to see what happens until a PLAYOFF GAME OR SUPBERBOWL WIN IS AT STAKE.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    Just wait to see what happens until a PLAYOFF GAME OR SUPBERBOWL WIN IS AT STAKE.
    Saw it with Pats/Falcons - Edelman was concussed, they let him play.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post
    Saw it with Pats/Falcons - Edelman was concussed, they let him play.
    Are you sure it was the Pats/Falcons? I only remember a possible Edelman concussion in the Pats/Seahawks Super Bowl.