Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Has Everyone Become Delusional?

Legend

User Info Menu

Has Everyone Become Delusional?

I cannot see how Tomlin would stick with Trubisky going forward. I really do not see what anyone sees in Mitch at this point. I'd love to see him have success, but he's just not a legit NFL starting QB.

I desperately wanted to think early on with his 2 scoring drives in the first half that we can get by with Mitch, but as the game continued, Mitch was Mitch. He's not able to stand in the pocket and make plays cause he can't get thru progressions and has bad mechanics. To be successful you've got to move Mitch in the pocket and design the play perfectly to catch the D off guard so the first read works. It's total luck when it works.

Mitch sucks you in saying all the right things. He sucks you in with a pass that works, but I think it was more luck than talent. He has a good arm and he's a good athlete, but he just isn't a consistent and accurate. Just look at the 3rd down conversions last night - 1 out of 9.

1 out of 9 is the key stat from last night. That's your QB's down that he's gotta win for you consistently to win. Mitch actually regressed from last week when we converted 9 of 17 3rd downs.

Sure, we had 2 scoring drives, but that should not distract folks from Mitch is just not a good QB. Consider why we were successful early on. Cause we were throwing on 1st down and caught the Browns off guard. The play design was perfect. Caught the Browns off guard. Had the 1st read be open. And I do think when that works together and Mitch isn't stressed, he is a little more accurate.

The team around him is getting better. The OLine isn't giving up sacks. They're starting to make blocks for the running game and open some holes. The WRs all think they're running routes and getting open. But for whatever reason, if the guy isn't option 1 in the progression and high school open, Mitch almost panics a bit and things don't work.

So why do we stick with him?

Cause Kenny is a rookie? So what. Mitch is playing like a rookie UDFA.

Cause we have a killer schedule coming up? Mitch isn't going to win those games either.

Cause we can't go back to Mitch once we go to Kenny? Mitch is showing us why we don't want to go to Mitch now.

Mitch doesn't set his feet when he throws. He gets off balance and throws off the wrong foot. He doesn't move his head and doesn't go through progressions. He seems to get anxious and runs when he doesn't need to. He's so off balance in everything he does.

There's no excuse I can think of at this point why we stick with Mitch.

I remember great QBs like Peyton Manning getting to play their rookie season and be horrible.

But it's a learning experience.

Worst case, let the kid learn.

Best case, the kid might just win.

There is no hope in Mitch and there's no future for Mitch so what sense is there in sticking with him?

I'll watch and hope I'm wrong, but I do not see a path with Mitch whatsoever and I can see hope in just about everything. We've gotta move on. Deep down, everyone must know this.

Legend

User Info Menu

Money post, flip, especially the part about scheming the first read wide open. Nagy *helped* Mitch, he didn't hurt him in Chicago, by doing this very thing.

Tomlin is delusional, he thinks safe Mitch + a 100% perfect execution by everyone else is good enough to win games. Whether or not he thinks he can just win enough to keep his .500 streak alive or win it all is anyone's guess, but I don't see how they're better than 2-6 at the bye.

Legend

User Info Menu

I’m watching but have no faith in Mitch. Doubt we win another game with him at QB.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm seeing the same argument in other threads here that I'm positive Tomlin will make - everyone else needs to be perfect in their jobs to prop up Mitch, who "played well enough to win". This is a classic trap and I used to fall for it all the time in the 80s and even 90s with sup-par QBs, blaming everyone but them.

Next week is big - if he doesn't have another first half like last night and the Jets and their big, powerful backs are shredding the Steeler D, the boos will be cascading down. Flacco knows this defense, too, and it's rather toothless without TJ. Wouldn't be surprised if we're down 2-3 scores early.
    Last edited by WindyCitySteel; 09-23-2022 at 08:05 AM.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I cannot see how Tomlin would stick with Trubisky going forward. I really do not see what anyone sees in Mitch at this point. I'd love to see him have success, but he's just not a legit NFL starting QB.

I desperately wanted to think early on with his 2 scoring drives in the first half that we can get by with Mitch, but as the game continued, Mitch was Mitch. He's not able to stand in the pocket and make plays cause he can't get thru progressions and has bad mechanics. To be successful you've got to move Mitch in the pocket and design the play perfectly to catch the D off guard so the first read works. It's total luck when it works.

Mitch sucks you in saying all the right things. He sucks you in with a pass that works, but I think it was more luck than talent. He has a good arm and he's a good athlete, but he just isn't a consistent and accurate. Just look at the 3rd down conversions last night - 1 out of 9.

1 out of 9 is the key stat from last night. That's your QB's down that he's gotta win for you consistently to win. Mitch actually regressed from last week when we converted 9 of 17 3rd downs.

Sure, we had 2 scoring drives, but that should not distract folks from Mitch is just not a good QB. Consider why we were successful early on. Cause we were throwing on 1st down and caught the Browns off guard. The play design was perfect. Caught the Browns off guard. Had the 1st read be open. And I do think when that works together and Mitch isn't stressed, he is a little more accurate.

The team around him is getting better. The OLine isn't giving up sacks. They're starting to make blocks for the running game and open some holes. The WRs all think they're running routes and getting open. But for whatever reason, if the guy isn't option 1 in the progression and high school open, Mitch almost panics a bit and things don't work.

So why do we stick with him?

Cause Kenny is a rookie? So what. Mitch is playing like a rookie UDFA.

Cause we have a killer schedule coming up? Mitch isn't going to win those games either.

Cause we can't go back to Mitch once we go to Kenny? Mitch is showing us why we don't want to go to Mitch now.

Mitch doesn't set his feet when he throws. He gets off balance and throws off the wrong foot. He doesn't move his head and doesn't go through progressions. He seems to get anxious and runs when he doesn't need to. He's so off balance in everything he does.

There's no excuse I can think of at this point why we stick with Mitch.

I remember great QBs like Peyton Manning getting to play their rookie season and be horrible.

But it's a learning experience.

Worst case, let the kid learn.

Best case, the kid might just win.

There is no hope in Mitch and there's no future for Mitch so what sense is there in sticking with him?

I'll watch and hope I'm wrong, but I do not see a path with Mitch whatsoever and I can see hope in just about everything. We've gotta move on. Deep down, everyone must know this.
    Of course. Based upon 2021 1 and done playoff year I'd think 2022's first NFL Draft pick would address the shortcomings like OL or DB or even LB. KP8 wasn't Trevor Lawrence or Peyton Manning. KP8 is a fair college QB who had a good 5th year. But he's Pittsburgh's hometown kid. THE DEFINITION OF PUBLIC RELATIONS OVER NEED.

As a Steeler Lifer, this sucks.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think Flippy nailed it perfectly. Also, does anyone else simply think we have over valued our wide receiver group? Other than Pickens grab this group was underwhelming.

Maybe they just aren't as good as we think.
    2023 Mock Draft

1) Peter Skoronski, OT, Northwestern - Tenative
    2a) Henry To'o To'o, ILB, Alabama (Bears pick)
    2b) John Michael Schmitz, C, Minnesota (Steelers pick)
    3) Mazi Smith, DT, Michigan
    4) Nick Hampton, Edge, App State
    5) No Pick
    6) No pick
    7a.) Jack Nelson, G, Wisconsin
    7b.) Tyler Hudson, WR,
    Louisville

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Especially when you see other backup QB's in the league come in and run an offense confidently. Brissett looked very good last night. Cooper Rush looked really good for the Cowgirls.

I have no confidence in Mitch at all. It's so odd how he's always trying to sling it off his back foot unless he's throwing on the run. I don't recall the last time I saw him step into a throw while in the pocket. About his only positive right now is that he's not turning the ball over a lot and he's athletic enough to escape some pressure. Otherwise, he's a liability on offense. I'm convinced Rudolph would be performing better and I'm not a big fan of his either.

The only thing I'm really excited about for this team now is for the day Kenny gets his chance. The OLine is pass protecting well enough. It's time to see what Kenny can do. But knowing Tomlin, that kind of change, if it happens at all, will be late in the season.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chucktownsteeler View Post
    I think Flippy nailed it perfectly. Also, does anyone else simply think we have over valued our wide receiver group? Other than Pickens grab this group was underwhelming.

Maybe but I think it is tough to tell with what the O is doing. Yes, Johnson & Claypool both had big drops but there have been numerous circus catches bailing MT out. Heading into last night the Steelers were 30th in yards/att, 32nd in net yards/att and 28th in off target %. After the insane Pickens catch, he had 1 more catch the rest of the night. Muth is consistently underused. If the Steelers had even competent QB play and a usable playbook; I believe this group could be lighting it up.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'm wondering about that. The Clowns were able to do a pretty good job of blanketing them in man coverage. Many throws were contested. Our D keeps playing zone that lets the other team's receivers find nice holes to operate in and we're back to tackling-the-catch defense.

Pickens had an amazing catch. It's clear he's going to be a star. Claypool still can't fight for the ball. And DJ still hasn't solved the dropsies.

Legend

User Info Menu

Thinking this group of WR are great is the delusional part. Especially Claypool.
    From the 2010-2021 season, (A 12year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Currently, Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game in 5 years.

Dolphin fans in the 90ís held on to Don Shula for too long for what he did in the playoffs in the 70ís...
    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2021 ) holding on to Tomlin for too long for what he did in 2008, with Cowher's players & coaches.