Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: It's Worse than I Thought

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

We surely have a bunch of issues to deal with. The need to stop the run is as big an issue as any other. Felt bad for Alualu he got abused up front. Got pancaked a few times and was pushed 5 yds up field on a few short yardage plays. Way to much time on the ground. His legs could not hold the point tonight. Sad to see. We will see more Adams going forward once the coaches see this film.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Iron City Inc. View Post
    We surely have a bunch of issues to deal with. The need to stop the run is as big an issue as any other. Felt bad for Alualu he got abused up front. Got pancaked a few times and was pushed 5 yds up field on a few short yardage plays. Way to much time on the ground. His legs could not hold the point tonight. Sad to see. We will see more Adams going forward once the coaches see this film.
    Ya the whole defense just looked exhausted, especially in that 2nd half.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wizard View Post
    Ya the whole defense just looked exhausted, especially in that 2nd half.
    Agree they looked gassed. Got to get stops cause we're playing to many snaps on D.

Legend

User Info Menu

these last 2 posts are spot on... hard to not be gassed when time of possession is so lopsided. I thought I saw somewhere it was like a 13 minute difference
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

2023 Way Too Early Mock
    1. Paris Johnson Jr., OT, Ohio State
    2a. Christian Gonzalez, CB, Oregon
    2b. John Michael Schmitz, C, Minnesota
    3. Jack Campbell, ILB, Iowa
    4. Keeanu Benton, NT, Wisconsin
    7a.
    7b.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Iron City Inc. View Post
    Agree they looked gassed. Got to get stops cause we're playing to many snaps on D.
    Or how about the offense staying on the field more than 48 seconds. That might help the "D". We need Buddy Ryan to slug Canada.
    2023 Mock Draft

1) Peter Skoronski, OT, Northwestern - Tenative
    2a) Henry To'o To'o, ILB, Alabama (Bears pick)
    2b) John Michael Schmitz, C, Minnesota (Steelers pick)
    3) Mazi Smith, DT, Michigan
    4) Nick Hampton, Edge, App State
    5) No Pick
    6) No pick
    7a.) Jack Nelson, G, Wisconsin
    7b.) Tyler Hudson, WR,
    Louisville

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chucktownsteeler View Post
    Or how about the offense staying on the field more than 48 seconds. That might help the "D". We need Buddy Ryan to slug Canada.
    Another good point. How do we do that?
    Times up for MT. Lets see what KP8 can do.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

This is exactly it, there is no rhythm to the offense as a whole, the idea that if Najee was a tenth of second faster he would be breaking off 20 yard gains is just dumb. If you can threaten the defense with the passing game then the big runs will come, but you have to be able sustain drives.

And what is his time 40 yard, 10 yard spilt, and shuttle time? Oh that's right, he didn't run any Mr. I claim Harris ran a 4.40! We can sustain some drives but to score more points it really helps if you have 20+ yard plays!

I'll break it down for you. We start on average at the 30 yard line. I don't know they exact amount when kickoffs, and punts are factored in but this seems plausible. One big play of 20+ yards and Boom, you're in scoring position! You get another three downs, let's say you only get 8 yards. That puts you one the opponents 42 ( if the run was capped at 20 yards ) yard line. Close enough for a long field goal and I'm assuming that is the only first down you get in the series.

Harris rates near last in 20 + yard plays vs the run and pass! Got in yet? Big plays make it easy in the offense to score. We get hardly none form Harris. Last night Warren would have one 30 yard play and put us in position to score if not for the bone head penalty.

A 10th of second could mean the difference in breaking a play. It gives the defender less time to react and less time needed to hold your blocks . You should check the dimensions of a football filed. They say it a games of inches. Yes, but also a game of micro seconds. We've all seen the plays that would have been made if a player had another 10th of a second whether is running, jumping, kicking/punting, catching, throwing , or tackling. Also momentum means something too.
    The offense needs a RB capable of hitting big plays in the rushing and passing department, and two new starting OL. The run D needs at DT/NT and new ILB to stop the run. Better play calling / coaching is badly needed. Time to put them all on the shopping list for the next draft / offseason because they are not changing this year. That much I'm fairly confident of.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

View Post
    Sure, 20+ yard plays have absolutely nothing to do with speed. How come the sub 4.5 guys have most of the big plays? Must be a coincidence! Harris isn't making many 1st downs. It a reason why we punt too often. See the stats this year.

Bell when he had his head on right, had better accretion, better vision and followed his blockers better. The slower players are easier to angle out and catch up too. Come on, you were a coach. Are you just pulling my leg or serious
    He only has 25 rushes in 8 quarters, what are you talking about. He really only gets to rush on first downs, so why would you expect him to rush for a bunch of first downs?
    Oh, okay he really only gets to run on first downs, not second or third! Like I said, you must be pulling my leg coach.
    The offense needs a RB capable of hitting big plays in the rushing and passing department, and two new starting OL. The run D needs at DT/NT and new ILB to stop the run. Better play calling / coaching is badly needed. Time to put them all on the shopping list for the next draft / offseason because they are not changing this year. That much I'm fairly confident of.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    And what is his time 40 yard, 10 yard spilt, and shuttle time? Oh that's right, he didn't run any Mr. I claim Harris ran a 4.40! We can sustain some drives but to score more points it really helps if you have 20+ yard plays!

I'll break it down for you. We start on average at the 30 yard line. I don't know they exact amount when kickoffs, and punts are factored in but this seems plausible. One big play of 20+ yards and Boom, you're in scoring position! You get another three downs, let's say you only get 8 yards. That puts you one the opponents 42 ( if the run was capped at 20 yards ) yard line. Close enough for a long field goal and I'm assuming that is the only first down you get in the series.

Harris rates near last in 20 + yard plays vs the run and pass! Got in yet? Big plays make it easy in the offense to score. We get hardly none form Harris. Last night Warren would have one 30 yard play and put us in position to score if not for the bone head penalty.

A 10th of second could mean the difference in breaking a play. It gives the defender less time to react and less time needed to hold your blocks . You should check the dimensions of a football filed. They say it a games of inches. Yes, but also a game of micro seconds. We've all seen the plays that would have been made if a player had another 10th of a second whether is running, jumping, kicking/punting, catching, throwing , or tackling. Also momentum means something too.
    I have already given you examples of running backs, very successful running backs, who are slower than Najee and they all made 20 yard runs. How many 20 yard runs do you think Najee should have?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post

In this scenario the offense still only ran 4 plays and that's the biggest problem, not Najee's "lack of speed". You can't come on the field and be off the field in under 2-3 minutes multiple times in a game. The defense simply won't be able to hold up and we're seeing that played out in spades the last two games. The Steelers defense has played the most snaps this season of any defense.

Pappy

Tomlin: If we win the toss, take the ball
    Ben: They have the number one defense in the world.
    Tomlin: I got you

1.20 - Kenny Pickett, QB, Pitt
    2.52 - George Pickesn, WR, Alabama
    3.84 - DeMarvin Leal, DE, Texas A&M
    4.138 - Calvin Austin III, WR, Memphis
    6.209 -Connor Heyward, RB, MSU
    7.225 - Mark Robinson, LB, Ole Miss
    7.242 - Chris Oladokum, QB, SD State