Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: It's Worse than I Thought

Legend

User Info Menu

It's Worse than I Thought

I'll be honest and say I kinda predicted a month of ugliness to start the season. After all, the Steelers have perhaps the youngest offense in the league, new QB, new scheme, unknown OC, etc. But I rewatched the game several times last night and I gotta say it was a little disturbing.

Trubisky - he has a reasonably quick release (avging top 10 fastest time to throw) but as many have said he is making some very questionable decisions. Example, jamming the ball into DJ when Pickens was basically uncovered in the flat. Could have been a huge play very early in the game. Options were there to wait a half second longer to a deeper play but he too often went to the shortest throw. There were also throws, while seeming to the right guy, were not exactly on target. Trubisky is 6th in the NFL in 'poor passes', a list that includes Flacco, Winston, Goff, and Mariota.

Najee - I like him but man oh man I am not sure he is the right type of back for this offense. And just like MT he was not always making good decisions on where to cut his run. The scheme is designed to create creases in the DL. They were there in many cases but Najee simply ran into the pile of blockers rather than looking back. He also looked to be too slow to get to the perimeter when things were well-blocked. While his touches were limited (to my disappointment) the contrast with Warren's rushes was stark, no hesitation, strong burst into the crease.

Playcalling - ok, I get it, KISS. But KISS makes it all the easier on the defense. And even in this case the Steelers have skill position players to beat their guys mano-a-mano if they are given the chance. No one knows whether Canada or Tomlin has been in Trubisky's ear about how to read through the defense. Tomlin I think is the kind of coach that would leave it up to the OC and player. Who knows though?

Way too soon to push the panic button but plenty to work on. The Browns could be the medicine for what ails the offense. They have a weak secondary and there should be plenty of opportunities for the passing game. I hope the coaches don't try to use the ground and pound against them. Take the easy route.

Let's go!

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Tomlin leaving the offense alone, there have been reports that Flores is sitting in on offensive meetings. Trubisky is who he is and let's hope Najee isn't who we think he might be, because we're sticking with him for at least five years.

Kozora is saying we have nine plays in the offense, which seems hard to believe, unless they are starting this way and will begin running different plays from the same look once Mitch gets comfortable. That's the key to offense, IMO - show them the same thing but do multiple things from it.

Kenny needs to get in sooner rather than later. I'm sticking with my offseason prediction of sometime during the Cleveland game, and then starting vs. the Jets with 10 days to prepare.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    I'll be honest and say I kinda predicted a month of ugliness to start the season. After all, the Steelers have perhaps the youngest offense in the league, new QB, new scheme, unknown OC, etc. But I rewatched the game several times last night and I gotta say it was a little disturbing.

Trubisky - he has a reasonably quick release (avging top 10 fastest time to throw) but as many have said he is making some very questionable decisions. Example, jamming the ball into DJ when Pickens was basically uncovered in the flat. Could have been a huge play very early in the game. Options were there to wait a half second longer to a deeper play but he too often went to the shortest throw. There were also throws, while seeming to the right guy, were not exactly on target. Trubisky is 6th in the NFL in 'poor passes', a list that includes Flacco, Winston, Goff, and Mariota.

Najee - I like him but man oh man I am not sure he is the right type of back for this offense. And just like MT he was not always making good decisions on where to cut his run. The scheme is designed to create creases in the DL. They were there in many cases but Najee simply ran into the pile of blockers rather than looking back. He also looked to be too slow to get to the perimeter when things were well-blocked. While his touches were limited (to my disappointment) the contrast with Warren's rushes was stark, no hesitation, strong burst into the crease.

Playcalling - ok, I get it, KISS. But KISS makes it all the easier on the defense. And even in this case the Steelers have skill position players to beat their guys mano-a-mano if they are given the chance. No one knows whether Canada or Tomlin has been in Trubisky's ear about how to read through the defense. Tomlin I think is the kind of coach that would leave it up to the OC and player. Who knows though?

Way too soon to push the panic button but plenty to work on. The Browns could be the medicine for what ails the offense. They have a weak secondary and there should be plenty of opportunities for the passing game. I hope the coaches don't try to use the ground and pound against them. Take the easy route.

Let's go!

This is what I saying about Harris. The man doesn't run fast enough nor accelerate quick enough. He can't run outside and scares no one as a pass receiver. He's not a bust. He can be average in the NFL, but who wants to spend a first round pick on a running back in round one who average? His play, which lacks 20+ big plays leads to many punts. He's really not that instinctive either.
    The offense needs a RB capable of hitting big plays in the rushing and passing department, and two new starting OL. The run D needs at DT/NT and new ILB to stop the run. Better play calling / coaching is badly needed. Time to put them all on the shopping list for the next draft / offseason because they are not changing this year. That much I'm fairly confident of.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post
    Kenny needs to get in sooner rather than later. I'm sticking with my offseason prediction of sometime during the Cleveland game, and then starting vs. the Jets with 10 days to prepare.
    I would love this. But I would also be totally shocked by it. I just don't see Tomlin admitting any mistake that quickly. Even if Mitch has a 4-5 turnover game in ClownTown, I don't see this happening.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post
    Re: Tomlin leaving the offense alone, there have been reports that Flores is sitting in on offensive meetings. Trubisky is who he is and let's hope Najee isn't who we think he might be, because we're sticking with him for at least five years.

Kozora is saying we have nine plays in the offense, which seems hard to believe, unless they are starting this way and will begin running different plays from the same look once Mitch gets comfortable. That's the key to offense, IMO - show them the same thing but do multiple things from it.

Im not a najee fan great guy but nothing exciting about him honestly. I figured this season would be a tough one but this start is beyond what I thought it would be. Let's get a win over the browns!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    I would love this. But I would also be totally shocked by it. I just don't see Tomlin admitting any mistake that quickly. Even if Mitch has a 4-5 turnover game in ClownTown, I don't see this happening.
    Tomlin risks losing his supporters if Kenny lights it up when he comes in if the Steelers are already buried and on playoff life support. 3 games would be a good sweet spot if Trubisky still looks lost.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Hindsight is always 20/20 (but I was pounding this drum before the draft) I would now have taken Creed Humprey before Najee or PF.

Water under the bridge, no use crying over spilled milk. Hopefully Omar does a little more complete scouting than Colbert did in his waning years.
    2023 Mock Draft

1) Peter Skoronski, OT, Northwestern - Tenative
    2a) Henry To'o To'o, ILB, Alabama (Bears pick)
    2b) John Michael Schmitz, C, Minnesota (Steelers pick)
    3) Mazi Smith, DT, Michigan
    4) Nick Hampton, Edge, App State
    5) No Pick
    6) No pick
    7a.) Jack Nelson, G, Wisconsin
    7b.) Tyler Hudson, WR,
    Louisville

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    I don't think it's Tomlin admitting a mistake as much as it is Tomlin allowing Trubisky enough time to correct his mistakes. If there are some bad habits to break it will take more than two games. Clearly though there is a limit to how much time he gets. Only Tomlin knows what that deadline looks like.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    i've comment ad naseum about the other stuff, so, I"ll focus on the RB. I honestly think Najee needs a lightening to his thunder.

And by chance, I may have caught one this past weekend. It's early in the college season, but Eric Gray from Oklahoma seemed pretty solid as a mid-round "fit" for the team.

If he shows up at the combine and his 40 time is anywhere in the 4.4's or better, he'd be a really good compliment to the Steelers rushing attack. Seems to have decent hands, decent vision and a helluva stop-start cut game, which will make you say "wow" from time to time. Didn't seem to have much power, but did fight for what he could with his smallish frame.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

2023 Way Too Early Mock
    1. Paris Johnson Jr., OT, Ohio State
    2a. Christian Gonzalez, CB, Oregon
    2b. John Michael Schmitz, C, Minnesota
    3. Jack Campbell, ILB, Iowa
    4. Keeanu Benton, NT, Wisconsin
    7a.
    7b.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    This is what I saying about Harris. The man doesn't run fast enough nor accelerate quick enough. He can't run outside and scares no one as a pass receiver. He's not a bust. He can be average in the NFL, but who wants to spend a first round pick on a running back in round one who average? His play, which lacks 20+ big plays leads to many punts. He's really not that instinctive either.
    He's another Bama back with power and little else who flourished on a team (Bama) with a dominant OL that created huge holes, so he knew where to run: At Bama, the holes are mostly where the play calls them to be because their OL is so dominant over most opponents. But in the NFL - and especially in Pgh - the OL is not that dominant so a RB needs a "plan B" where the RB "feels" the play and find an alternative route for success. Well, when you're a power back who have never needed/had such skills, you aren't nearly as good in the NFL.

Remember Trent Richardson, the Bama RB that Cleveland drafted? Same problem; was a beast while at Bama but his "power only" running style without vision or enough speed or burst made him a bust in the NFL.