Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 39

Thread: Could this be Colbert’s best draft?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Could this be Colbert’s best draft?

    Pickett is going to be the future.

    Pickens sounds like a beast. Every day its a new highlight with this guy. Straight dawg that we have been missing. JuJu was our goon for a minute but injuries and dancing ran him out of town, lol.

    Leal may be the piece that pushes this draft class over the top. Sounds like he is ahead of schedule. Most didn’t think we could depend on him this year but it sounds like he is making his presence known.

    Austin is tiny but it sure sounds like if he gets the ball on space he may be the first tiny guy to pan out which would be awesome.

    Baby bro Conner, whole some panned the pick others who have attended camp have said he is legit and faster than expected and can do things some of the other TE’s can’t do. While he will probably need to be a ST demon this year he may actually make the final 53.

    Robinson is another one that sounds
    like he may be ahead of schedule. Sound like there is a lot to like about this kid due to his athleticism.

    Obiwankanobi.. practice squad but if we deal Mason he will have a home on the roster as the 3rd QB.

    of course its early but I’m feeling really good about this years draft picks.
    Tomlin’s coming back so what can you do?


  2. #2
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    A lot of it will ride on how Pickett turns out. If he truly is the future of this franchise then, and most of the others pan out, then yes, it could be one of Colbert's best draft classes. However, way too early to tell.

  3. #3
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    A lot of it will ride on how Pickett turns out. If he truly is the future of this franchise then, and most of the others pan out, then yes, it could be one of Colbert's best draft classes. However, way too early to tell.
    Definitely depends on Pickett the most and will take 2 to 3 years to truly know but it feels like we may have some impact players who see the field this year.
    Tomlin’s coming back so what can you do?


  4. #4
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Definitely depends on Pickett the most and will take 2 to 3 years to truly know but it feels like we may have some impact players who see the field this year.
    It's 2022, not 1982. It shouldn't take 3 years to figure out if a QB is legit, not in this day and age. Do some teams still fall into that false curriculum? Sure, NYG come to mind. (Who hasn't figured out that Daniel Jones isn't the answer?) If we don't know if Pickett is the answer by mid-season next year, he ain't the solution (even though I am sure you will endlessly apologize for his play regardless, as you do the same for Shades' coaching). If KP ends up a Mark Malone, Cliff Stout, Bubby Brister, Kordell Stewart, the team needs to react appropriately, not endlessly "hope" that he will "come around," as is their nature (do not admit a gaffe and move on).

    If KP doesn't end up a legit NFL quality starting QB, then it will be hard to give this draft high marks. That would leave a hole too deep to recover from quickly.

  5. #5
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by whisper View Post
    It's 2022, not 1982. It shouldn't take 3 years to figure out if a QB is legit, not in this day and age. Do some teams still fall into that false curriculum? Sure, NYG come to mind. (Who hasn't figured out that Daniel Jones isn't the answer?) If we don't know if Pickett is the answer by mid-season next year, he ain't the solution (even though I am sure you will endlessly apologize for his play regardless, as you do the same for Shades' coaching). If KP ends up a Mark Malone, Cliff Stout, Bubby Brister, Kordell Stewart, the team needs to react appropriately, not endlessly "hope" that he will "come around," as is their nature (do not admit a gaffe and move on).

    If KP doesn't end up a legit NFL quality starting QB, then it will be hard to give this draft high marks. That would leave a hole too deep to recover from quickly.
    well first off I said 2 to 3 years.. and I’m speaking for the whole draft class.

    but feel free to continue to bash Tomlin
    Tomlin’s coming back so what can you do?


  6. #6
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Previous drafts

    Colbert drafted Ben. Who is going to be a 1st ballot hall of famer. That pick alone probably makes it his best draft. The only other good pick in that draft was Starks. A long term starter at tackle (mostly LT, but some RT too). But having Ben makes it his best draft IMO.

    I think these next three years are probably a good conversation for 2nd best draft of his career (maybe there are others?).

    Maybe drafting Troy and Ike in the same year (2003).

    The 2010 draft was good: Pouncey, Sanders, and Brown. I think Brown is his best value pick ever. But I'd still rather have a draft with a HoF QB and a long time starter at T (more LT than RT). This draft has a higher "weighted approximate career value" than Ben's draft year I think.

    So was the 2017 draft: TJ, Juju, Sutton, Conner, Dobbs. A DPOY and 3 probowls outside of TJ. But the value of a HoF QB is just so high and makes it so you don't have to think about the hardest thing for a decade and a half.

    Aside: I really thought that the 2008 draft was good when it happened. https://www.pro-football-reference.c...2008_draft.htm

    Note, in the link above, just put in whatever year you want in place of 2008. You can use the previous season / next season buttons to look around.

    Current draft

    I think it's unlikely that Pickett becomes a HoF QB (because it's unlikely that any just drafted QB becomes even a legit starter).

    So it's hard to say that it's likely that this draft becomes the best of Colbert's career.

    But if Pickett ends up being an above avg guy who is a starter for close to a decade...then it's probably a clear 2nd.

    But if Pickett doesn't end up being a long term starter, I think it probably doesn't top the TJ draft year (assuming that those guys keep playing well).

    I hope that this becomes his best draft ever. Because that would mean that Pickett would be wildly successful.

    Even without Pickett, if the other guys come through this could maybe be in that 2nd tier of draft classes.
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 08-11-2022 at 12:52 PM.

  7. #7
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    Previous drafts

    Colbert drafted Ben. Who is going to be a 1st ballot hall of famer. That pick alone probably makes it his best draft. The only other good pick in that draft was Starks. A long term starter at tackle (mostly LT, but some RT too). But having Ben makes it his best draft IMO.

    I think these next three years are probably a good conversation for 2nd best draft of his career (maybe there are others?).

    Maybe drafting Troy and Ike in the same year.

    The 2010 draft was good: Pouncey, Sanders, and Brown (and Worlids). I think Brown is his best value pick ever. But I'd still rather have a draft with a HoF QB and a long time starter at T (more LT than RT.

    So was the 2017 draft: TJ, Juju, Sutton, Conner, Dobbs. A DPOY and 3 probowls outside of TJ. But the value of a HoF QB is just so high and makes it so you don't have to think about the hardest thing for a decade and a half.

    Aside: I really thought that the 2008 draft was good when it happened. https://www.pro-football-reference.c...2008_draft.htm

    Note, in the link above, just put in whatever year you want in place of 2008. You can use the previous season / next season buttons to look around.

    Current draft

    I think it's unlikely that Pickett becomes a HoF QB (because it's unlikely that any just drafted QB becomes even a legit starter).

    So it's hard to say that it's likely that this draft becomes the best of Colbert's career.

    But if Pickett ends up being an above avg guy who is a starter for close to a decade...then it's probably a clear 2nd.

    But if Pickett doesn't end up being a long term starter, I think it probably doesn't top the TJ draft year (assuming that those guys keep playing well).

    I hope that this becomes his best draft ever. Because that would mean that Pickett would be wildly successful.

    Even without Pickett, if the other guys come through this could maybe be in that 2nd tier of draft classes.
    If you add up their "Weighted Career Approximate value" the 2007 draft class scores well too. This one is more quantity than the others (which is part of the potential argument for this class.

    Good players from the 2007 draft: Timmons, Woodley, "Big Play" Willie Gay.

    Another quantity over super-high quality draft was 2009: Hood, Wallace, Lewis, Shipley. Lots of role players in this draft.
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 08-11-2022 at 12:51 PM.

  8. #8
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    If you add up their "Weighted Career Approximate value" the 2007 draft class scores well too. This one is more quantity than the others (which is part of the potential argument for this class.

    Good players from the 2007 draft: Timmons, Woodley, "Big Play" Willie Gay.

    Another quantity over super-high quality draft was 2009: Hood, Wallace, Lewis, Shipley. Lots of role players in this draft.
    I think Troy is right up there with Ben as far as individual picks if you are using the HOF as a barometer.

    But its hard to debate because a Hofer at QB is going to play so long it makes it hard to compare with other draft classes.

    I’m talking draft tho, and Ben is also a bit funny because we kind of lucked into it since he was the last QB left and Rooney forced us to look again at Ben when Cowher wanted an OT. Glad we made the right decision.

    Thank you Cleveland!!
    Tomlin’s coming back so what can you do?


  9. #9
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I think Troy is right up there with Ben as far as individual picks if you are using the HOF as a barometer.

    But its hard to debate because a Hofer at QB is going to play so long it makes it hard to compare with other draft classes.

    I’m talking draft tho, and Ben is also a bit funny because we kind of lucked into it since he was the last QB left and Rooney forced us to look again at Ben when Cowher wanted an OT. Glad we made the right decision.

    Thank you Cleveland!!
    I agree that the longevity of QBs makes them so valuable when you hit on them. Hope we do the same with KP

    Also...it's so funny that CLE had such an obvious need at QB, but took a TE (who was a complete gong show). Hopefully the Watson signing works out as well for them as that "soldier" of a TE. Sadly both have SA issues (although one is only alleged).

  10. #10
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Swan, Stallworth, Lambert and Webby were our best class ever.

    Best case scenario is we end up with our top 3 picks in the HOF and that’s a long shot.

    But I do love this class and think we may hit on almost every pick.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •