Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Former Steelers sue NFL, win dementia claim for Black retirees

Legend

User Info Menu

Former Steelers sue NFL, win dementia claim for Black retirees

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...rescored-tests

Some people like to scoff when they hear the word racism but this was a prime example of the NFL implementing a race-norm to deny claims of dementia for hundreds of Black retirees.

Good to see the fight paid off. Shame they had to sue in the first place.
    Tomlins coming back so what can you do?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post

Some people like to scoff when they hear the word racism but this was a prime example of the NFL implementing a race-norm to deny claims of dementia for hundreds of Black retirees.

As soon as the NFL bans ANYONE weighing over 275 pounds CTE incidence goes way, way down. Meanwhile it's just the IMPROVED TRAINING METHODS, right?

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/20/sports/football/nfl-concussion-cte-research.html
    Last edited by Bawb the Revelator; 08-13-2022 at 02:43 AM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Of the 646 Black men whose tests were rescored, nearly half now qualify for dementia awards. Sixty-one are classified as having early to moderate dementia, with average awards topping $600,000, while nearly 250 more have milder dementia and will get up to $35,000 in enhanced medical testing and treatment, according to the claims administrator's report.

Damn, football ruined the rest of their lives. What was the average length of playing time and position of those tested? In the future the game will change. 100% Get ready to see those padded training camp helmets full time.

I've got two girls, but if I had a son, I'd have to think about letting him play football beyond the high school level.
    The offense needs a RB capable of hitting big plays in the rushing and passing department, and two new starting OL. The run D needs at DT/NT and new ILB to stop the run. Better play calling / coaching is badly needed. Time to put them all on the shopping list for the next draft / offseason because they are not changing this year. That much I'm fairly confident of.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    Damn, football ruined the rest of their lives. What was the average length of playing time and position of those tested? In the future the game will change. 100% Get ready to see those padded training camp helmets full time.

I've got two girls, but if I had a son, I'd have to think about letting him play football beyond the high school level.
    A parent today with what we know?
    Organized football?

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Yet kids are still playing football. Maybe parents are smart enough to sift through the junk CTE science and propaganda and weigh their options prudently.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post

I find it weird that some people act like unless someone is a hood wearing cross burner hurling slurs, racism does not exist.

Almost like that the simple acknowledgement that it exists is an accusation against them personally they must defend.

When it is obvious like this it's crickets.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 08-13-2022 at 08:18 AM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

My 12 year old is in his 2nd year. I played for 6 years as a kid. I'm not crazy about him playing, but I don't think there's enough hard hitting at that level to have much cause for concern though. I'd guess most of the 'damage' happens in college and pros

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    A parent today with what we know?
    Organized football?

My brother's son is a star player on the JV team. A bright and good looking kid, he doesn't need football to take him places. I worked with before. Now he's a great end. When he grows up, he should be able to play at the next level...if he continues to grow. We'll see. He's also a star baseball player and might choose that path. His family doesn't know what to do. Many prefer baseball. He's throws a 80 MPH fastball, and he not even 16 yet. But with football and the data on it, I just don't know.
    The offense needs a RB capable of hitting big plays in the rushing and passing department, and two new starting OL. The run D needs at DT/NT and new ILB to stop the run. Better play calling / coaching is badly needed. Time to put them all on the shopping list for the next draft / offseason because they are not changing this year. That much I'm fairly confident of.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    My brother's son is a star player on the JV team. A bright and good looking kid, he doesn't need football to take him places. I worked with before. Now he's a great end. When he grows up, he should be able to play at the next level...if he continues to grow. We'll see. He's also a star baseball player and might choose that path. His family doesn't know what to do. Many prefer baseball. He's throws a 80 MPH fastball, and he not even 16 yet. But with football and the data on it, I just don't know.
    I've been trying like hell to get a golf club in my kids hands.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Terrapin View Post
    My 12 year old is in his 2nd year. I played for 6 years as a kid. I'm not crazy about him playing, but I don't think there's enough hard hitting at that level to have much cause for concern though. I'd guess most of the 'damage' happens in college and pros
    There aren't a lot of hits that cause concussions at the high school level, unless your a running back with a certain type of the style or a hard hitting middle linebacker. Then you need to watch it. The head shots by most coaches and players are being discouraged. The kids are bigger these days though.