Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 39

Thread: Could this be Colbert’s best draft?

  1. #21
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Could it be Colberts best? It could.
    Pickett the key but it's just way to early. If we have repeated solid drafts we'll have the depth to move some vets and accumulate much needed draft capital.

  2. #22
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron City Inc. View Post
    Could it be Colberts best? It could.
    Pickett the key but it's just way to early. If we have repeated solid drafts we'll have the depth to move some vets and accumulate much needed draft capital.
    It would have to be a hell of a draft if Pickett is a miss to be considered a good draft. Missing on Pickett could be a 3-5 year hole to dig out of, knowing how slow this team is to react to gaffs. We could be looking at an entire year off to begin with out of the gates with KP. Then 2023 will be a "he's only been a starter for less than a year, be patient." Then, 2024 will be the 1st year he's even judged. That will lead to 2025. How many playoffs games will we win in that time period? Will we be looking at a 9 year span without a playoff win?

  3. #23
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by whisper View Post
    It would have to be a hell of a draft if Pickett is a miss to be considered a good draft. Missing on Pickett could be a 3-5 year hole to dig out of, knowing how slow this team is to react to gaffs. We could be looking at an entire year off to begin with out of the gates with KP. Then 2023 will be a "he's only been a starter for less than a year, be patient." Then, 2024 will be the 1st year he's even judged. That will lead to 2025. How many playoffs games will we win in that time period? Will we be looking at a 9 year span without a playoff win?
    that is an extremely pessimistic outlook for Pickett. It can certainly happen but he could end up being good or even great.

    Depends on how you want to view the future.
    Tomlin’s coming back so what can you do?


  4. #24
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    that is an extremely pessimistic outlook for Pickett. It can certainly happen but he could end up being good or even great.

    Depends on how you want to view the future.
    Not saying it's gonna happen just illustrating how the draft would be hard to be considered "great" if KP does not pan out. The team will take a 3-5 year hit. That would smart. KP better turn out to be an above average QB.

  5. #25
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post
    I really don't get why this is here.

    But I can't stop watching it.

  6. #26
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by whisper View Post
    It would have to be a hell of a draft if Pickett is a miss to be considered a good draft. Missing on Pickett could be a 3-5 year hole to dig out of, knowing how slow this team is to react to gaffs. We could be looking at an entire year off to begin with out of the gates with KP. Then 2023 will be a "he's only been a starter for less than a year, be patient." Then, 2024 will be the 1st year he's even judged. That will lead to 2025. How many playoffs games will we win in that time period? Will we be looking at a 9 year span without a playoff win?
    I think bailing on a QB in 2 years isn't a good idea in most cases.

    I think he should get at least 3-4 unless he's absolutely horrible (like he doesn't work his way into the lineup and / or there are no flashes of what we think could lead to a good starter) or he has significant off-field issues.

  7. #27
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I think bailing on a QB in 2 years isn't a good idea in most cases.

    I think he should get at least 3-4 unless he's absolutely horrible (like he doesn't work his way into the lineup and / or there are no flashes of what we think could lead to a good starter) or he has significant off-field issues.
    Like Mason Rudolph for example?
    From the 2010-2021 season, (A 12year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Currently, Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game in 5 years.

    Dolphin fans in the 90’s held on to Don Shula for too long for what he did in the playoffs in the 70’s...
    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2021 ) holding on to Tomlin for too long for what he did in 2008, with Cowher's players & coaches.

  8. #28
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I think bailing on a QB in 2 years isn't a good idea in most cases.

    I think he should get at least 3-4 unless he's absolutely horrible (like he doesn't work his way into the lineup and / or there are no flashes of what we think could lead to a good starter) or he has significant off-field issues.
    So, is NY making the right decision with Daniel Jones?

  9. #29
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Like Mason Rudolph for example?
    I still think until a QB gets a camp as a number 1 or a chance to win the gig its hard to really gauge his potential.

    I think this is it for Mason. If he doesn’t show out and I mean really show out he is done here. Hell, I think he is already done since we added Mitch AND drafted Pickett.
    Tomlin’s coming back so what can you do?


  10. #30
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by whisper View Post
    So, is NY making the right decision with Daniel Jones?
    He's had 3 years so far. And he looks like he'll get a 4th (their depth chart is currently Jones, Taylor, and Webb).

    I don't watch the Giants so I don't know if he's shown flashes of being good in 3 years. His record sucks. His completion percentage is OK, but his air yards per attempt makes it look like they are running a similar passing offense that we've run the last 2 years.

    So, I'd probably give him another year till the end of his contract. If he sucks, they get a high draft pick. If it clicks (most QBs fail), then they keep him on.

    He'll probably fail, but it's a low cost experiment that helps set up the future if it fails.

    This is especially the case given that last years QB draft class wasn't seen to be good, and most seem to expect next draft will have good QBs.

    So while I certainly wouldn't model my franchise decisions after either NY team, I don't think what they're doing in this case is unreasonable.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •