Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nails it again

Legend

User Info Menu

Nails it again

https://triblive.com/sports/mark-mad...rs-2-6-record/

The dude nails it again. Claim he trolls for clicks or whatever you wish, but he's dead on right once again, on everything.

If, while ruminating during the bye week, you wonder why the Pittsburgh Steelers are 2-6, you shouldn’t. There’s a lengthy list of undeniable reasons:

• They spent $108 million on a defense that stinks.

• They gave T.J. Watt $80 million guaranteed, then trusted him to stay healthy.

• They didn’t need to sign Mitch Trubisky and draft Kenny Pickett. Do one or the other.

• They haven’t selected an offensive lineman in the draft’s first two rounds since 2012.

• They haven’t selected a defensive lineman in the draft’s first two rounds since 2014.

• The last two reasons have rendered the Steelers putrid in the trenches. (But they’ve chosen four wide receivers in the first two rounds since 2017.)

• Pickett became the starting quarterback before he was ready. He still isn’t.

• Their coaching staff is cheap, small and underqualified. Offensive coordinator Matt Canada exemplifies.

• Ownership is weak and let the megalomaniac head coach usurp too much power.

This list could go on forever. That’s just the greatest hits.

This year’s disaster is cumulative. You could see it coming if you wanted to. Only Ben Roethlisberger’s guile propped up the Steelers last season.

Listing all the players who stink or disappoint would take too much space: Devin Bush, Kevin Dotson, Najee Harris, Dan Moore Jr., Ahkello Witherspoon, etc. It would be considerably briefer to list the players that don’t stink or disappoint.

Players that don’t mean as much as you think is another list.

Diontae Johnson’s stats are OK, but he’s not a winning football player. Too many drops, too few meaningful catches.

Minkah Fitzpatrick is a big-time safety. But he’s a luxury on a team that lacks as much as the Steelers do. The Steelers should have kept the first-round pick they traded for Fitzpatrick and used it on a lineman.

Mike Tomlin’s failings are the baseline for all the Steelers’ problems. When you touch everything, you affect everything

Get used to it. It won’t get better for a long time because Tomlin won’t get fired, he won’t quit, and the enabler can’t become the fixer.

Starter

User Info Menu

I agree with everything except the Minkah comment. You win championships with players like Minkah. That's like saying we shouldn't have drafted Polamalu when our OL stunk in 2008....Get another great QB & it overcomes many of the things on that list. But yeah ignoring the trenches has been their biggest mistake. They didn't expect Pouncey to retire & Decastro to have a career ending injury at the same time they decided not to resign Villy & Tuitts brother gets killed having him leave fotball. But it did.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LPMAN View Post
    I agree with everything except the Minkah comment. You win championships with players like Minkah. That's like saying we shouldn't have drafted Polamalu when our OL stunk in 2008....Get another great QB & it overcomes many of the things on that list. But yeah ignoring the trenches has been their biggest mistake. They didn't expect Pouncey to retire & Decastro to have a career ending injury at the same time they decided not to resign Villy & Tuitts brother gets killed having him leave fotball. But it did.
    I'm ambiguous on the Fitz comment, but the point that the trenches should not have been ignored so badly still hold true, whether or not they made that trade. Just look at the Eagles; they shored up bother lines and look at them now. It only took a few seasons as well. We got a goof ball running things in Pgh and it shows. Shades has indeed turned into a megalomaniac and it surely shows in team decisions.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I agree with Madden he is being kind to DJ Johnson as the Steelers spent a lot of cap space on him. He could have listed our wide rear end, punter on his or mistakes list made. I guess he doesn't do punters. He speaks the truth but isn't likely to be on Art Rooney II's Christmas card list.
    The offense needs a RB capable of hitting big plays in the rushing and passing department, and two new starting OL. The run D needs at DT/NT and new ILB to stop the run. Better play calling / coaching is badly needed. Time to put them all on the shopping list for the next draft / offseason because they are not changing this year. That much I'm fairly confident of.

Legend

User Info Menu

Hindsight is 'therapy" for some fans????

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    Hindsight is 'therapy" for some fans????
    Kind of like denial is for others...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post
    Kind of like denial is for others...
    Nah I am not in denial as a Steelers fan. I am a realist as a sports fan.

The Steelers legacy is set in stone for my life time.

As a fan of sports and a historian of the game, I realize that the Steelers will have down years. It's the nature of sports. Even for the Steelers.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    I agree with Madden he is being kind to DJ Johnson as the Steelers spent a lot of cap space on him. He could have listed our wide rear end, punter on his or mistakes list made. I guess he doesn't do punters. He speaks the truth but isn't likely to be on Art Rooney II's Christmas card list.
    The guy is being brutally honest.
    From the 2010-2021 season, (A 12year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Currently, Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game in 5 years.

Dolphin fans in the 90’s held on to Don Shula for too long for what he did in the playoffs in the 70’s...
    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2021 ) holding on to Tomlin for too long for what he did in 2008, with Cowher's players & coaches.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    The guy is being brutally honest.
    unlike you who tried to lie about making a prediction you never made and got busted and called out for it.

how sad and pathetic your life must be to need to lie so you can be a big man on a message board.

you're a pathological liar. Boom........

Legend

User Info Menu

I'd put Watt in the category of gamble that is currently not paying off. That goes with any high priced player, but especially one with an injury history. Same goes with the Bush move. Took a big gamble trading up for him and he looked okay at the very least for just over a year. He got injured and the move has looked like a failure since.

Agree that the two biggest points were ignoring both lines. The D line not as much as Tuitt came out of nowhere last season and Hargrave was a Covid casualty. Still needed to be monitored as you rely on an aging Heyward and Alualu, but nowhere near as bad as virtually ignoring an OL that was glaring as far back as 2018.

The Trubisky Pickett comment is contradicted a few points later when he said Pickett isn't ready. In that case the argument on Trubisky is for/against Mason, not Pickett.

Disagree with the Minkah statement. You find good young players, you spend first round picks. If Minkah was older I would agree but he was only a couple of years ahead of the pick.