Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Time to go to work (Pickett signs with Steelers...)

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post
    Look, let's face it, we're really not going to be able to predict how Kenny Pickett's going to work out until a guy like, say, LeSean McCoy weighs in, and as far as I know...

Hold on, being told that Sean McCoy has, in fact, weighed in:

https://steelersdepot.com/2022/06/le...kenny-pickett/
    That stuff is funny. So KP is the next Joe Burrows. Nice. Well, let's hope so. I'll gladly eat my words and be his biggest fan.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    That stuff is funny. So KP is the next Joe Burrows. Nice. Well, let's hope so. I'll gladly eat my words and be his biggest fan.
    I posted that tongue-in-cheek, McCoy is obviously a Pitt homer. I thought that show was supposed to be enlightening, these kinds of opinions make me not want to watch it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    What gives me hope about the kid is a few things. I like his swag. You need that as a QB. There are certain professions where you need an ego. Not toxic ego but a self confidence. I think he has that. He got better every year at Pittsburgh. I love that. His video is meh. I mean I see that from nearly every QB ever drafted. KP is a smart QB who made the best of his limited tools.
    But Shawn here is what gives me hope. You just described BOTH of the last TWO QBs considered "the Goat". There are 4 QBs in the history of the NFL with 3 rings. Only 1 of 4 (Bradshaw) was a special physical talent.

Swag, clutch, accuracy. Those things matter WAY more than elite arm talent. It just does. You need a "good enough" arm, which everyone says he has.

Pickett may well fail, or be a below average starter. Most QBs disappoint. But "ceiling" based on not having a cannon?

We agree, a Niner QB who wound up in KC is the ceiling for Pickett. But why assume it is not the one with 4 rings.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 06-25-2022 at 10:00 AM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    But Shawn here is what gives me hope. You just described BOTH of the last TWO QBs considered "the Goat".

We agree, a Niner QB who wound up in KC is the ceiling for Pickett. But why assume it is not the one with 4 rings.
    I hear ya. And those are good points. I have come to believe it's the intangibles that make a QB truly great. It's why trying to scout QBs has humbled me. Yeah, I've hit on a few. But, I've missed on more. And it's because what makes a QB truly great doesn't show up on film. It's in their head.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Legend

User Info Menu

LOL, technically he could end up being the GOAT and have 8 rings in a fairy tale world of our own invention. Realistically, his ceiling is Alex Smith. Which honestly I would take.

Legend

User Info Menu

Whether it is QBs or forum posts. Astute observers realize it is not natural talent but "skilled delivery" that makes it special.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

But Shawn here is what gives me hope. You just described BOTH of the last TWO QBs considered "the Goat". There are 4 QBs in the history of the NFL with 3 rings. Only 1 of 4 (Bradshaw) was a special physical talent.

Swag, clutch, accuracy. Those things matter WAY more than elite arm talent. It just does. You need a "good enough" arm, which everyone says he has.

Pickett may well fail, or be a below average starter. Most QBs disappoint. But "ceiling" based on not having a cannon?

His arm is definitely good enough. And yes he could be the next Brady or the next Montana. I can't deny that possibility. But he could also be the next Ryan Leaf. You can't deny that. Since I can't crawl into his head and see how his wheels turn without a session. I can look at his body of work and his mechanics. Average. That is what I am basing my assessment on. The Steelers obviously know Kenny better than I do psychologically. So, here's to hoping they see something I don't.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Well I'm looking forward to seeing this rookie live at Latrobe. Not so much in drills but in the live 11 on 11. Spotlight is on him. I'm confident he'll get enough reps. It will help him big time if MR was removed from the equation.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Iron City Inc. View Post
    Well I'm looking forward to seeing this rookie live at Latrobe. Not so much in drills but in the live 11 on 11. Spotlight is on him. I'm confident he'll get enough reps. It will help him big time if MR was removed from the equation.
    Let us know what you see.