Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Season record predictions- and "why"?

Legend

User Info Menu

Season record predictions- and "why"?

Season record predictions and why.

8-9, too young on offense. QB questions, questions about players returning to form from injury on defense.

Your thoughts?

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

10-7 or 11-6

Trubisky is the right guy for Canada's offense and shows Nagy was the problem not him

Najee balls out with a better OL in front of him even though some will never want to see that unless filled with 1st rd picks

'Muth establishes himself as one of the best TEs in the NFL

Pickens and Austin begin to establish themselves as the best WRs on the team by mid-season

Defense is Top 5 and run defense is better tnan last year (top half of NFL)
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Season record predictions and why.

8-9, too young on offense. QB questions, questions about players returning to form from injury on defense.

Your thoughts?
    I'm looking at 7-10, 6-11, as things sit right now. The reasons:

1.) QB situation far from settled. Pickett could be the future but he's not gonna light the league on fire to start, even if he does get the chance (which will likely only be from injury or the team being out of contention). More than ever before, the QB situation is the prime cause for your team's success or failure. This isn't the 80's or 90's or even early 2000's: an average/below average QB is too hard to overcome. I don't think even Cowher's impressive run at winning sans a decent QB could be replicated in today's NFL. Those 90's teams were quite impressive on D and with rushing games, but they still couldn't get over the hump without an above-average QB, i.e. Neil O'Donnell, Mike Tomczak, Kordell Stewart. And today, it's even more arduous to win without a quality QB. Maybe in a year Pickett will be ready, but not as a rookie.

2.) The OL is not up to par even with the FA additions, it's only partly rebuilt to specs needed. The OTs are below average. That won't cut it. For some reason, the team seems against improving the OTs. Weird. Neither in the draft or FA did they take any effort to improve the subpar OTs.

3.) Even with record spending, the D is not all that solid. Coming off a season that saw franchise-record-worst rushing D, and 24th D overall in the NFL, there are still plenty of weaknesses to be attacked by opponents. I am not sold on the depth of the DL, where hopes are pinned to a 35-year-old DT to right the ship on rushing D. Then we have a 3rd-round rookie to help replace Tuitt - unlikely. Then we have Loudermilk and some spare parts. They will need a good deal of luck to be above average upfront.

4.) Which leads to the ILBs. Bush and Jack coming off their worst seasons, possibly without the beef upfront to protect them.

5.) And finally, our CBs are far from proven, sure things.

Add it all up, and it seems we will need a good deal of luck to produce a winning record. Come April, we will most likely be looking for an OT, NT and CB.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I predict the team will bring in at least one and maybe two more free agents who will help address some of these question marks. Those moves will have a direct bearing on my outlook for the season. However, if the team stands pat, I'm leaning towards 9-8 or 8-9. Plug the right holes with the right players and I might predict a 10 or even 11-win season.

Legend

User Info Menu

Thanks for playing.

So far OV is more optimistic, and whisher is more negative than me.

I feel pretty good with my prediction being right in between.

Any others?

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel View Post
    I predict the team will bring in at least one and maybe two more free agents who will help address some of these question marks. Those moves will have a direct bearing on my outlook for the season. However, if the team stands pat, I'm leaning towards 9-8 or 8-9. Plug the right holes with the right players and I might predict a 10 or even 11-win season.
    I'm feeling this too. I think a lot depends on QB play to get to double digit regardless the holes being fixed.

I think that QB is an extremely unpredictable wild card.

TCFCLTC-

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'm feeling this too. I think a lot depends on QB play to get to double digit regardless the holes being fixed.

I think that QB is an extremely unpredictable wild card.
    Agree 100%. I used the word "competent" QB play in other threads and I'll stand by that standard. Beef up the OT spot (I'd love if this Tyron Smith rumor had legs), lean on your budding superstar back, and get the ball to your stable of play-making receivers. As long as the QB can orchestrate that and not turn the ball over, it can be a very effective and defense-friendly approach.

The missing ingredient to me on offense is a powerful OT. I was thinking one who could play either side, but I would be very cool with a dominant LT that we could get a little rotation with Moore going.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel View Post
    Agree 100%. I used the word "competent" QB play in other threads and I'll stand by that standard. Beef up the OT spot (I'd love if this Tyron Smith rumor had legs), lean on your budding superstar back, and get the ball to your stable of play-making receivers. As long as the QB can orchestrate that and not turn the ball over, it can be a very effective and defense-friendly approach.

The missing ingredient to me on offense is a powerful OT. I was thinking one who could play either side, but I would be very cool with a dominant LT that we could get a little rotation with Moore going.
    My first thought on Tyron was 100 percent agree, but I got to thinking that is a right now play.

I have no doubt it absolutely makes us much better but I think we are looking long term. We aren't signing ANYBODY over 30.

If he was a free agent? Maybe?

But I don't know we are in that level of "win now" mode to trade a long term asset for short term gain.

That seems more of a KC last season/Bengals this season type move where it's like they are sooo close already.

TCFCLTC-

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

My first thought on Tyron was 100 percent agree, but I got to thinking that is a right now play.

I have no doubt it absolutely makes us much better but I think we are looking long term. We aren't signing ANYBODY over 30.

If he was a free agent? Maybe?

But I don't know we are in that level of "win now" mode to trade a long term asset for short term gain.

That seems more of a KC last season/Bengals this season type move where it's like they are sooo close already.
    He's got two years on his existing contract at something like $12M per year. If he can rotate with Moore to some degree, it allows the latter room to develop and spares wear and tear on Smith's back. Young, talented tackles are going to be non-existent at this juncture of the offseason and won't be released out of camps. Smith offers us the potential to perhaps become a very good offensive line and if nothing else, insurance at the position.

I'm not necessarily saying "this has gotta be the move", but a move like this needs to happen at the tackle spot.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think we'll finish somewhere around .500