Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinion, we won't re-sign Johnson

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wizard View Post
    Except versus Man coverage and press coverage playing on the outside, Johnson was outstanding. So on the outside is exactly where Johnson has shined. Johnson doesn't play in the slot because it's a position that takes a lot of contact and he simply isn't built for it.
    So you saying he's not good vs press coverage or man coverage? Agreed. I agree that he's good with zone coverage. That's only part of the time.

Usually the small quick players who are tough, and can go over the middle are slot guys. That's not Johnson. On the outside he's sucks as a blocker . He a good short to medium guy that cuts and runs routes well. The reason he shines in zone. The more I think about it he should be traded ideally of a 1st, if not a 2nd. Get some value for him.
    This year will tell a lot about the direction the Steelers are going in. One good thing is we got what seems like a hot draft class in Pickens, Leal, and Austin. Possibly Robinson.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    So you saying he's not good vs press coverage or man coverage? Agreed. I agree that he's good with zone coverage. That's only part of the time.

Usually the small quick players who are tough, and can go over the middle are slot guys. That's not Johnson. On the outside he's sucks as a blocker . He a good short to medium guy that cuts and runs routes well. The reason he shines in zone. The more I think about it he should be traded ideally of a 1st, if not a 2nd. Get some value for him.
    No dammit! he was excellent against man and press coverages, he was excellent against zone as well.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

No dammit! he was excellent against man and press coverages, he was excellent against zone as well.
    Okay then, I'll respect that opinion though I'm in the camp of he's good but not that good! He's lowly average and lack of big plays are in games. He's not big, or strong of fast. He has short areas quickness yes but a top 10 WR he's not. I say not top 20, and I do not want to give him a 4 year 80 million dollar deal or anything close to that. No way. Trade him or the comp pick...we have other WR's.

I'll trust Khan to know that we have two hot rookies potentially replacing him, and another man who thinks he's now a top 20 receiver....at least he produces a good yards per catch and in general had more difficult catches to make. Maybe he is a top 20 WR and he currently on a cheap rookie contact not to expire for three years. But top 3 WR, show me that on the field!
    This year will tell a lot about the direction the Steelers are going in. One good thing is we got what seems like a hot draft class in Pickens, Leal, and Austin. Possibly Robinson.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Okay then, I'll respect that opinion though I'm in the camp of he's good but not that good! He's lowly average and lack of big plays are in games. He's not big, or strong of fast. He has short areas quickness yes but a top 10 WR he's not. I say not top 20, and I do not want to give him a 4 year 80 million dollar deal or anything close to that. No way. Trade him or the comp pick...we have other WR's.

I'll trust Khan to know that we have two hot rookies potentially replacing him, and another man who thinks he's now a top 20 receiver....at least he produces a good yards per catch and in general had more difficult catches to make. Maybe he is a top 20 WR and he currently on a cheap rookie contact not to expire for three years. But top 3 WR, show me that on the field!
    Its not an opinion its by the numbers, which is why he is in the discussion for a big contract. He isnt an elite catcher of the football or physically elite but his value is in his ability to get open versus any type of coverage and thats what the numbers show. Do the Steelers sign him, I lean towards probably not but someone will and he deserves it because he is a good player.

Legend

User Info Menu

Johnson is sulking, and he should be. His chances of getting a new contact from the Steelers appear thin. In fact his role with the team is unclear. He's isn't an outside the numbers type of player. He's a weak blocker. He isn't fast, and suddenly his job is in a danger as a slot guy by rookie Austin who's much faster, doesn't have a problem catching the ball and will burn those not respecting his speed, which is world class. Rookie WR Pickens is a star in the making for anyone who has seen him..in a lot of areas and Claypool is still developing. We got receiver covered and signed for cheap for years. His drops, and very few yards per catch will be a thing or the past with the Steelers because he'll be a free agent soon. Adios. That is unless the Steelers re-sign him for an estimated 80 Million dollar contract for 4 years. I think not! In fact I think his value to the suitors is greatly exaggerated by the NFL. You'll see in free agency. Let him walk and with luck with get a 5th round comp pick! I'd take a 6th round comp pick for him after the season ends.
    Now that's a solid contribution and I agree completely.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Except versus Man coverage and press coverage playing on the outside, Johnson was outstanding. So on the outside is exactly where Johnson has shined. Johnson doesn't play in the slot because it's a position that takes a lot of contact and he simply isn't built for it.
    A solid Steeler comment today on PS? Sacre bleu!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

He doesn't need to be a top 3 receiver, Renfrow just signed for 16 million per year, so is 18-20 million so crazy? The top 3 in the league are from 26-30 million per year right now, but you are saying Johnson will need to be better than Hill, Adams, and Kupp to justify 20 million per year. If he was top 3 and we offered 20 million we wouldn't have to worry about paying it because he would be turning it down and heading to Free Agency, it is just where the Wide Receiver market is right now.

Legend

User Info Menu

He doesn't need to be a top 3 receiver, Renfrow just signed for 16 million per year, so is 18-20 million so crazy? The top 3 in the league are from 26-30 million per year right now, but you are saying Johnson will need to be better than Hill, Adams, and Kupp to justify 20 million per year. If he was top 3 and we offered 20 million we wouldn't have to worry about paying it because he would be turning it down and heading to Free Agency, it is just where the Wide Receiver market is right now.
    Let's hope he does turn it down if we offer him 20 mill.

Legend

User Info Menu

the WR market is crazy right now, top-notch ones are getting over $20 million/yr.

Washington's Terry McLaurin is looking for an extension, it will be interesting to see if he gets paid and how much. I'm sure Diontae Johnson and his agent will be monitoring that situation closely to help determine DJ's own contract value.

I would love to keep him, but at that price I would much rather pay a top-flight proven CB.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    the WR market is crazy right now, top-notch ones are getting over $20 million/yr.

Washington's Terry McLaurin is looking for an extension, it will be interesting to see if he gets paid and how much. I'm sure Diontae Johnson and his agent will be monitoring that situation closely to help determine DJ's own contract value.

I would love to keep him, but at that price I would much rather pay a top-flight proven CB.
    I agree with paying a CB over WR, but my point in the argument is Dionte Johnson getting 18-20 million per year is in line with the market.