Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 39

Thread: Four ways draft philosophy could change post-Colbert

  1. #1
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Four ways draft philosophy could change post-Colbert

    Good piece from Alex Kozora. Number 3 stems from something Dave and Alex talked about on their recent podcast - Colbert would have a list of 25 players they considered draftable, so he couldn't risk trading down too many spots, and would sometimes panic and move up to pick a guy (e.g. Loudermilk) because there weren't many names left.

    https://steelersdepot.com/2022/05/un...sburgh-change/
    Last edited by WindyCitySteel; 05-26-2022 at 11:36 AM.

  2. #2
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post
    Good piece from Alex Kozora. Number 3 stems from something Dave and Alex talked about on their recent podcast - Colbert would have a list of 25 players they considered draftable, so he couldn't risk trading down too many spots, and would sometimes panic and move up to pick a guy (e.g. Loudermilk) because there weren't many names left.

    https://steelersdepot.com/2022/05/un...sburgh-change/
    This helps explain why day 3 seemed like "throw away" picks for Pgh; not on Colbert's top 25 so he could care less about who they took. And it showed.

  3. #3
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    is it really “panicking” to move up to get a guy on your list?
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?


  4. #4
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    is it really “panicking” to move up to get a guy on your list?
    Yeah, your list needs to be bigger so you don't trade away draft capital to reach.

  5. #5
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    is it really “panicking” to move up to get a guy on your list?
    It is when the players you are moving for are projected to go lower or undrafted.
    Update:
    In the last decade:
    25% of the league has won a super bowl. The steelers are not one of them.
    18 teams have as many or more playoff wins as the steelers.
    25 teams have won at least one playoff game, none have a worse playoff win percentage than the steelers.

  6. #6
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    But aren't all bad picks Tomlin's fault because he only scouts players from VA and MD?

    Colbert is blameless
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

  7. #7
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    It is when the players you are moving for are projected to go lower or undrafted.
    and how do we know they will go lower or undrafted since we selected them?

    that’s the whole point of moving up.

    you can’t say they would be available because thats hindsight and not based on facts.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?


  8. #8
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post
    Yeah, your list needs to be bigger so you don't trade away draft capital to reach.
    like I just said.. its not a reach if its a player on our board that we want.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?


  9. #9
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by whisper View Post
    This helps explain why day 3 seemed like "throw away" picks for Pgh; not on Colbert's top 25 so he could care less about who they took. And it showed.
    I thought you liked Heyward now...not a "cutsie brother" pick. Maybe I'm confusing you with someone else.

    I think Robinson is interesting. I think that's the kind of pick you should make in the late rounds. These guys probably won't make it anyway. Pick a guy that's kind of raw, but could pan out if everything goes right. It probably won't go right. But I think swinging for the fences in late rounds isn't a bad thing.

    I'm pretty meh on the QB. But if Pickett becomes the starter, at the end of the year we probably don't have any other QBs on the team (I'm assuming that we'd trade Mitch if he isn't going to be the starter...Mason's deal ends I think). I'd usually rather just pick up backups off the waiver wire, but taking a guy 241st OA is also pretty cheap.

  10. #10
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by whisper View Post
    This helps explain why day 3 seemed like "throw away" picks for Pgh; not on Colbert's top 25 so he could care less about who they took. And it showed.
    I'm inclined to believe they had closer to 150 draftable players each year not 25. Now once those are gone who knows. It's a lot of speculation on our part. Overall I believe Colbert did well even though he missed on some top picks. Everyone has swings n misses.
    I'm sure we'll see some changes with the new staff in place. We'll just have to wait a year to know for sure.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •