Page 4 of 72 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this O-Line going to be much better than last year?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chucktownsteeler View Post
    The OL will be better than last year. No doubt about it.
    Being "better than last year" could still see the OL as a bottom 5 in the league. Our OTs are back up quality, our back ups are PS quality. For whatever reason this team seems to have an aversion to adding quality at the OT position, whether in the draft of FA.
    Last edited by whisper; 06-06-2022 at 01:02 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

he's from Maryland!

Titans Waive Former Steelers Draft Pick Derwin Gray

Updated Jun 6, 2022

On Monday the Tennessee Titans waived former Pittsburgh Steelers offensive lineman Derwin Gray to make room for former Houston Texans lineman Carson Green. The roster move gives Pittsburgh the opportunity to possibly re-claim Gray, having lost him to a waiver claim by the Jacksonville Jaguars late in the 2020 season.

The Steelers waived Gray on December 26, 2020, owing to a temporary shortage of manpower at inside linebacker. He played in five games for the Steelers that season, without giving up a sack or committing a penalty, as per Pro Football Reference.

It marked the second time in little more than a year that the Steelers lost a promising offensive lineman on waivers, as the Bengals put in a claim for offensive tackle Fred Johnson in mid-October 2019. Between 2019-21, Johnson appeared in 23 games for the Bengals, including eight starts.

As for Gray: After getting claimed by the Jaguars, he remained in Jacksonville until late August 2021, when he was waived and claimed by the Titans. The 27-year-old — who is listed at 6-foot-4 and 320 pounds — was Pittsburgh’s seventh-round pick in the 2017 NFL Draft. He was selected No. 219 overall out of the University of Maryland.

https://heavy.com/sports/pittsburgh-...n-derwin-gray/

https://steelersdepot.com/2022/06/ti...ray-on-monday/

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

That might be huge.... or not . OTOH Jax supposedly has a chronically dysfunctional FO.

Legend

User Info Menu

Nick Farabaugh
    @FarabaughFB

Steelers OL coach Pat Meyer says the Steelers are running all different types of schemes in their run game, but that they’re focusing hard on running more wide zone this upcoming season.

Jun 7, 2022

https://twitter.com/FarabaughFB/stat...ubisky-pickett

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whisper View Post
    Being "better than last year" could still see the OL as a bottom 5 in the league. Our OTs are back up quality, our back ups are PS quality. For whatever reason this team seems to have an aversion to adding quality at the OT position, whether in the draft of FA.
    I'm not sure if they are necessarily backup quality but our starting OTs are huge question marks at this point, in my opinion. I like the moves made along the interior but ignoring the tackle position (other than resigning Chuks) is just as bad as what we failed to do along the defensive line. Almost the same thing with the inside backers too. We are relying on question marks to start in our weakest position groups from last year and have no apparent fallback plan should any of those question marks not pan out.

If either Dan Moore or Chuks don't develop further or are injured, Joe Haeg is our starter and there is nobody behind him.
    If Alualu gets hurt or even needs a breather, then all we have at NT is Adams and Mondeaux on the roster. They got run over last year.
    If Loudermilk AND Wormley can't be more stout against the run AND display pass rush capability, then we may have a glaring weakness on one side of our defense and a huge problem when we have to rotate Cam out. We desperately need improvement from one but ideally from both. Of course we did draft Leal, but he is a question mark all to himself.
    If either Bush OR Jack fail to have bounce-back seasons, then all we have is Buddy J and Spillane to pin our hopes on.

Lots of question marks and players who need to improve their play from last year. We need to address the DL and OT positions with our available cap space, in my opinion. I can maybe live with the backers, if we get more stout up front.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel View Post
    I'm not sure if they are necessarily backup quality but our starting OTs are huge question marks at this point, in my opinion. I like the moves made along the interior but ignoring the tackle position (other than resigning Chuks) is just as bad as what we failed to do along the defensive line. Almost the same thing with the inside backers too. We are relying on question marks to start in our weakest position groups from last year and have no apparent fallback plan should any of those question marks not pan out.

If either Dan Moore or Chuks don't develop further or are injured, Joe Haeg is our starter and there is nobody behind him.
    If Alualu gets hurt or even needs a breather, then all we have at NT is Adams and Mondeaux on the roster. They got run over last year.
    If Loudermilk AND Wormley can't be more stout against the run AND display pass rush capability, then we may have a glaring weakness on one side of our defense and a huge problem when we have to rotate Cam out. We desperately need improvement from one but ideally from both. Of course we did draft Leal, but he is a question mark all to himself.
    If either Bush OR Jack fail to have bounce-back seasons, then all we have is Buddy J and Spillane to pin our hopes on.

Lots of question marks and players who need to improve their play from last year. We need to address the DL and OT positions with our available cap space, in my opinion. I can maybe live with the backers, if we get more stout up front.
    And of course, if they don't do anything to deepen the DL and OTs and we suffer from injuries, then the team can point to the injuries and shrug their shoulders, when in fact, the damage was preventable but they failed to act to fortify the positions.

Legend

User Info Menu

Joe Starkey: Are you convinced the Steelers have solved their offensive line issues? I’m not

JOE STARKEY
    Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    JUN 8, 2022

Let’s hope the transition to a new quarterback goes smoother than the one to a new offensive line. The topics are intimately related, you know.

It has been years since a once-elite line began to age out, yet the Steelers reacted as if all five guys went AWOL in the middle of the night.

Mike Tomlin and Kevin Colbert butchered the transition in ways previously unimaginable, bottoming out last season. Which was a bad season to bottom out, considering they were charged with keeping a 39-year-old museum piece of a quarterback protected from harm or be forced to turn to Mason Rudolph.

Anyway, this is what Colbert and Tomlin’s best thinking got them in 2021 ...

• An alleged rising star of a rookie line coach who fled in the middle of a playoff race.

• A rookie center who wasn’t really a center and now might be a backup guard (still hard to believe this happened).

• A major offseason project that blew up when the presumed new left tackle was shifted back to right tackle just before the season (and don’t tell me that was because of injuries; if Chuks Okorafor had taken to the premium position of left tackle, he would have stayed there no matter what).

• A rookie fourth-round pick protecting the museum piece’s blind side.

• An assistant line coach Tomlin deemed “elite” leaving right after the season, seemingly not interested in applying for the job created by the guy who quit.

• A quarterback who again got rid of the ball faster than you can say “Ben,” partly because his feet no longer moved but partly because his line couldn’t pass block for any longer than that.

• An inability to get a yard or two when needed, often not even attempting to run the ball in such situations, despite all kinds of offseason noise about getting more “violent” up front.

• A running game that failed to finish higher than 25th for the fifth straight year, despite the presence of a talented rookie running back.

Other than that, things went well.

Think back to this time last year. Everything was going great, remember? Then David DeCastro suddenly retired, but new line coach Adrian Klemm was instilling toughness in the troops. Okorafor was adapting nicely, or so Klemm told us, to left tackle. Kendrick Green was going to be a bully of a rookie center.

Nobody thought too much about how the Steelers had passed up Creed Humphrey with the 55th pick of the draft, or how Humphrey would immediately become one of the NFL’s best centers (and to be fair, Pat Freiermuth, taken 55th, looks like he will be a very good player).

You know what happened. It all fell apart. The Steelers again had one of the worst lines in the league.

All of which leads to a question: If the same people who’ve mangled the transition thus far were charged with this year’s remake — and they were — why should we believe things are going to be appreciably better?

I mean, their best thinking this time around has them paying Chuks $10 million a year on a new deal (though they can extricate themselves after this season).

If “Steelers stability” is a thing — and a good thing — it sure doesn’t apply to the offensive line. These guys go through coaches like the Cleveland Browns.

I’m not sure picking offensive line coaches is Tomlin’s specialty. Other than Mike Munchak, who fell into the Steelers’ laps, the past three have been Klemm (less than a full season), Shaun Sarrett (two years, now an assistant line coach with the Chargers) and Jack Bicknell Jr. (one year, now the line coach at North Carolina). Now it’s Pat Meyer’s turn.

By the way, Munchak admitted in a recent interview on 93.7 The Fan that he talked to the Steelers about returning this season after the Denver Broncos fired him. He wouldn’t say where the conversation went or why nothing came of it, even though he is apparently willing to move east again and has great respect for Tomlin.

I’m not saying the line won’t improve. It can’t possibly be worse. I liked the signing of right guard James Daniels, assuming some of his pass-protection troubles were a product of playing in the Bears’ offense. We’ll see if Okorafor and Dan Moore Jr. (left tackle) can protect the flanks in an actual downfield passing game — where patterns take more than 0.4 seconds to unfold — and deliver some punch in the run game.

We’ll also see if Kevin Dotson, coming off a rough sophomore season, can beat out Green at left guard, and if presumed new center Mason Cole is something more than starting 39 of 60 career games at two positions would suggest.

They aren’t exactly the Hogs, but they have a chance to be OK, I guess.

And it would sure be nice if the new coach stayed till the last game.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/202206080014

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Ummm.... this? https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/steelers-should-get-eric-fisher-on-the-phone-with-an-offer-right-now/ar-AAY0UOV?ocid=uxbndlbing

Legend

User Info Menu

OK, I'm defending Chuks a bit here. While it might be true he isn't the greatest run blocker he's done reasonably ok in pass pro. And now I'm reading where the Steelers are scheming a lot more wide zone run concepts which might work in Chuks favor. Even still, he isn't terrible. FO ranks him 24th in the NFL.

Legend

User Info Menu

Kevin Dotson on the Steelers veteran additions on the OL this year, and on feeling healthy and comfortable at LG in 2022

https://steelersdepot.com/2022/06/ke...o-steelers-ol/