Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mike Tomlin: By the Numbers

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    The fact that they were favored in any games that season is telling. I mean 2nd and 3rd string QBs, WRs out in stretches during the season, Conner missing almost half the season, Tuitt IR'd.
    Really? 8 wins came against:

2-win Bengals (2)
    5-win Cardinals
    5-win Chargers
    5-win Dolphins
    6-win Browns
    7-win Colts
    9-win Rams

One team that barely finished with a winning record, and 6 of those wins were by 1-score.

There have been one-sided, defensive heavy teams that have gotten a lot farther than just 8-8. We got zip out of the O once Ben went down, they grew too reliant on him bailing them out.
    Last edited by WindyCitySteel; 05-25-2022 at 10:06 AM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    To make my point, pretty much NOBODY has us top 20 right now.

We aren't predicted to be a playoff team.

But when we lose in the playoffs people will bag on coach because he lost in a playoff we have no business being in.
    But there sure were the excuses when we lost when they had us in the top 10 and not making or losing in the playoffs.
    Last edited by whatever; 05-25-2022 at 11:55 AM.
    Update:
    In the last decade:
    25% of the league has won a super bowl. The steelers are not one of them.
    18 teams have as many or more playoff wins as the steelers.
    25 teams have won at least one playoff game, none have a worse playoff win percentage than the steelers.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel View Post
    This is actually a very good point. To me, it shows we've had quality teams more often than not, but not a lot of playoff success - particularly of late. Playoff success has to mean something, as well as being able to field quality teams year in and year out. With a highly competitive AFC and a rookie/new QB, it will be hard to put him on the hot seat with if we fail to make the playoffs this year. If we can - or come close - it should settle any argument about the temperature of his seat. But if this team flounders in '22 and isn't a contender again in '23, I would expect his seat to become very uncomfortable.
    What do these teams have in common with us?

Denver Broncos
    Miami Dolphins
    New York Giants
    Detroit Lions
    Carolina Panthers
    Atlanta Falcons
    Jacksonville Jaguars
    New York Jets

NFL doormats? Yes. The butt of jokes? Yes. Owner of many top 12 picks? Yes. Playoff wins? Ask their fans when the last time they win one. You'll share the pain. That's what you have in common with them as a fan. I remember years ago chatting with a die hard Cleveland Brows fan asking what's it like being irrelevant all these year without a playoff win? He said it feels like getting kicked in the nuts every year and coming back for more. He was a good guy, I tried to imagine his pain. I couldn't, How ironic looking back now I know where he's coming from. By the way Denver beat us, six years ago. Avoid this topic with them. Jacksonville too. In fact I could agree we are the worst of the losers, because unlike the other teams on the list we make the playoffs frequently.

2017 divisional – Jacksonville
    2020 wild card – Cleveland
    2021 wild card – Kansas City

All one and done. Fire Tomlin after the year. Every team on the list has a new head coach within a six year span.
    Last edited by Joel Buchsbaum; 05-25-2022 at 11:00 AM.
    This year will tell a lot about the direction the Steelers are going in. One good thing is we got what seems like a hot draft class in Pickens, Leal, and Austin. Possibly Robinson.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    What do these teams have in common with us?

Denver Broncos
    Miami Dolphins
    New York Giants
    Detroit Lions
    Carolina Panthers
    Atlanta Falcons
    Jacksonville Jaguars
    New York Jets

NFL doormats? Yes. The butt of jokes? Yes. Owner of many top 12 picks? Yes. Playoff wins? Ask their fans when the last time they win one. You'll share the pain. That's what you have in common with them as a fan. I remember years ago chatting with a die hard Cleveland Brows fan asking what's it like being irrelevant all these year without a playoff win? He said it feels like getting kicked in the nuts every year and coming back for more. He was a good guy, I tried to imagine his pain. I couldn't, How ironic looking back now I know where he's coming from. By the way Denver beat us, six years ago. Avoid this topic with them. Jacksonville too. In fact I could agree we are the worst of the losers, because unlike the other teams on the list we make the playoffs frequently.

2017 divisional – Jacksonville
    2020 wild card – Cleveland
    2021 wild card – Kansas City

All one and done. Fire Tomlin after the year. Every team on the list has a new head coach within a six year span.

2016 we made the AFCCG.

Everyone knows we haven’t won a playoff game since then. It sucks but it isn’t the end of the world. The old QB finally retired.

Get ready for the youth movement and quit yer bitchin’… lol
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    But there sure were the excuses when we lost when they had us in the top 10 and not making or losing in the playoffs.
    Not by me.
    When we lost to Tebow no excuses from me.

The one game I've talked about more than any, the Jax loss I have REPEATEDLY argued TOMLIN has the biggest fault.

Hawaiiansteel and Dizz thrashed Tomlin after the Pats playoff loss.

I thought Hawaiiansteel especially was done with Tomlin. Heck he was so mad at Tomlin that when Maniac showed up around that time they were buddies.

Pretty much EVERYBODY has had times that they were disappointed with Tomlin.

Difference is we don't have an irrational hatred and ALSO credit him for the successes he has had.

YOU DONT DO THAT.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Not by me.

The one game I've talked about more than any, the Jax loss I have REPEATEDLY argued TOMLIN has the biggest fault.

I thought Hawaiiansteel especially was done with Tomlin. Heck he was so mad at Tomlin that when Maniac showed up around that time they were buddies.

Difference is we don't have an irrational hatred and ALSO credit him for the successes he has had.

YOU DONT DO THAT.
    Can we finally agree that Tomlin's a very good but NOT GREAT HC? Just because he's got a P.R. gift equal to but different from Ed Bernays #
    let's not blindly pile on the Black guy. Dan Rooney's P.R. gift and Chuck Noll made the Steelers an NFL legend.

# https://youtu.be/qR1FIdM10hw

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bawb the Revelator View Post
    Can we finally agree that Tomlin's a very good but NOT GREAT HC?
    I've said that exact line for years here.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whisper View Post
    One thing that completely skews the O #'s is the fact that when the team is down, it always resorted to Ben mostly calling his own plays and basically "free lancing" the O. That is pretty much when the O took off, with little exception. Without Ben there to do that, I believe our O #s will get even worse than what they've been the last 10 years, unless Pickett has that same "backyard" ability in him. Face it: regardless of who our OC has been the last decade, the O has been pretty much stagnant until Ben took over. Even under Haley, who Ben wanted gone so badly that he threatened retirement until they waved goodbye to Todd.
    The O was stagnant under Haley?? Hardly. It was top 10 in the league. Roethlisberger's backyard ball was great when he could extend plays by moving around and throwing down field. The last few years he was getting rid of the ball in record time. That's not on the OC. That's on the QB deciding to make the quick throws. Even when the OL was Pouncey, AV, DD, etc he was throwing the quick passes.
    Crediting the player when things go well but blaming the OC when they don't is an old argument, especially in the last few seasons when Roethlisberger was gifted an OC that let him run the offense. That's actually when the offense became stagnant and predictable.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Not by me.

YOU DONT DO THAT.
    So what has he won since then for all you guys to love him?
    Update:
    In the last decade:
    25% of the league has won a super bowl. The steelers are not one of them.
    18 teams have as many or more playoff wins as the steelers.
    25 teams have won at least one playoff game, none have a worse playoff win percentage than the steelers.

Legend

User Info Menu

I've said that exact line for years here.
    I agree with this also.