Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Putting Picketts 38 fumbles in context.

Legend

User Info Menu

Putting Picketts 38 fumbles in context.

A lot of chatter about Picketts fumbles and this article does a great job breaking them down.

People make it sound like it was 38 cases of tiny hands.

2 were backward passes that the WR/RB failed to catch.

5 were bad snaps… 5 were good snaps he didn’t secure. He only lost 2.

then you had 6 that were failed handoff exchanges.

there were 14!strip sacks, 7 while attempting a pass. He was definitely responsible for some and didn’t secure the ball high and tight while scrambling or on designated runs.

https://steelersdepot.com/2022/05/co...kenny-pickett/
    Last edited by feltdizz; 05-16-2022 at 04:47 PM.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Context matters. Ball security is fixable and coachable. Ridder fumbled more times per snap with his 10" mitts.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post
    Context matters. Ball security is fixable and coachable. Ridder fumbled more times per snap with his 10" mitts.
    I don’t think ANYONE who used that stat considered bad snaps, hand off exchanges and backwards passes.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

that's a lot of fumbles, no matter how you slice it

good news is, as the OP said, this issue should be fixed

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    A lot of chatter about Picketts fumbles and this article does a great job breaking them down.

People make it sound like it was 38 cases of tiny hands.

2 were backward passes that the WR/RB failed to catch.

5 were bad snaps… 5 were good snaps he didn’t secure. He only lost 2.

then you had 6 that were failed handoff exchanges.

there were 14!strip sacks, 7 while attempting a pass. He was definitely responsible for some and didn’t secure the ball high and tight while scrambling or on designated runs.

https://steelersdepot.com/2022/05/co...kenny-pickett/
    All QB's have them,and excuses that go with them. The bottom line is he fumbled 38 times but at least he did not fumble as much last year. I think only six times. I pay close attention to ball security and the shot gun snaps that he passed out ( All but 4 attempts )of and the time he held the ball. ( 3rd longest in the FBS ). When did he start wearing the gloves? Perhaps they helped with the fumble problem.
    Last edited by Joel Buchsbaum; 05-16-2022 at 05:26 PM.
    Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game in seven years and counting. The earliest will be eight years. Art Rooney II, get a new head coach.

Current mock draft as of 3-18-24

1. QB Nix
    2. C Fraizer
    3. OT Fisher
    3B. DL Smith
    4. S Bullock
    6. WR Pickney
    6. CB Newton

Legend

User Info Menu

I may be getting this wrong, but I thought I heard that Pickett's fumbles per game are actually better than several of the other QBs in the draft.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    that's a lot of fumbles, no matter how you slice it
    No, it DOES matter how you slice it. Some of those aren't on him.

Legend

User Info Menu

No, it DOES matter how you slice it. Some of those aren't on him.
    Just like some of the other QB fumbles weren't on them. Either way he coughed up the too often in a short go games and soft college schedule. See who he played last year. The NFL is big step up for him. I hope it's not an issue for him in the NFL. Mike Vick also had tiny hands. He fumbled quite a bit.
    Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game in seven years and counting. The earliest will be eight years. Art Rooney II, get a new head coach.

1. QB Nix
    2. C Fraizer
    3. OT Fisher
    3B. DL Smith
    4. S Bullock
    6. WR Pickney
    6. CB Newton

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    Just like some of the other QB fumbles weren't on them. Either way he coughed up the too often in a short go games and soft college schedule. See who he played last year. The NFL is big step up for him. I hope it's not an issue for him in the NFL. Mike Vick also had tiny hands. He fumbled quite a bit.
    If you'd just read the article you'd see that "tiny hands" had nothing to do with the fumbles.

Legend

User Info Menu

If you'd just read the article you'd see that "tiny hands" had nothing to do with the fumbles.
    He coughed up the football when hit, probably a player with 10" hands fumbles those plays less and fields the snaps better than a player with 8 3/4 inch hands. I've asked for plays where he did a pump fake and inquired about how he did on play action, things that require a stronger grip. Crickets there. They do not appear to be part of his game. Finally he held the ball the third longest in the FBS. Not good, he needs to speed things up. The record shows 38 fumbles, excuses aside that's a lot.

Look-I want him to do well but this issue " ball security " is an issue and was an issue in college.

1. QB Nix
    2. C Fraizer
    3. OT Fisher
    3B. DL Smith
    4. S Bullock
    6. WR Pickney
    6. CB Newton