Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: top 4 bounce back players for Pgh in 2022

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

top 4 bounce back players for Pgh in 2022

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/li...essley-harvin/

We've talked about most of them: Bush, Claypool, Dotson, Harvin (punter).

Other than Harvin, all 3 players are players who did well as rookies, only to experience FAIL as 2nd year players (Bush missed 2nd season due to injury.) Is that normal? 3 players regressed from impressive rookie seasons. I don't recall that happening before. The punter can be easily replaced - one would think, but the other 3 better step it up or something is stinking in Pgh.

Legend

User Info Menu

Two most important to bounce back are : Tuitt and Alualu
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Two most important to bounce back are : Tuitt and Alualu
    True, but Bush and Claypool are up there too.

Legend

User Info Menu

As the roster sits right now, we really need Bush/Myles Jack to have a "bounce back" year

If Dotson doesn't bounce back, another Guard (besides Daniels) will have to

Hopefully, we have a center who has even a little "bounce"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Maybe more than any year I can remember, we are depending on a lot of players to rebound. You gotta think the odds alone would say more than one of them will not. Just the odds of both inside backers having rebound seasons doesn't seem all that good. That to me, is the shakiest position group on the team as it stands now.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Can Harvin even qualify as a "bounce back" after one disappointing year? What is he bouncing back to exactly??

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    Can Harvin even qualify as a "bounce back" after one disappointing year? What is he bouncing back to exactly??
    He'd better have competition for his job, and he'd better have to punt his a$$ off this summer.

I still think Waitmann was the better player, and the one we should have kept. Hopefully, Harvin will show I was wrong, but I think he's always going to be maddeningly inconsistent.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think Claypool's play didn't regress as much as it continued to be inconsistent. He shows glimpses of what he can be while frustrating us the rest of the time. I still believe that the top reason for optimism is that he is still so inexperienced compared to others his age. Grew up in a football wasteland then improved every year in college from 81 yards to 1037.

Dotson is a weird one. Despite all the hype, only started 4 games as a rook. Had a weird off-season where the team seemed to be trying to light a fire, earned the job out of camp and then injured. We'll see what happens but he still remains unproven.

I still say Bush last season was overcoming injury as part of a two year process - one year to heal, one year to get right. I was willing to give him a pass for last season but this is a huge make-or-break year for him.

Harvin.....meh.

Legend

User Info Menu

Claypool right now is a classic boom or bust player. From week to week you just don't know what you are going to get from him. Can you really design an offense around that? I think not.

Harvin worries me as well. People said it was the family death that lead to his wildly inconsistent season. OK, he get's a mulligan. But if he can't show better consistency I say move on even if the punter doesn't have the strongest leg. Consistency has to be there.

Dotson learned the hard way what the expectations are to play professional football. I assume he takes it to heart and comes in ripped and ready this preseason. If not, he will be added to the backup guard list along with Green.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Interesting take on Dotson I had not heard before.
    https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...-update-rumors

This writer feels he is not a fit for where the O is headed. He did acknowledge the last OL coach was pathetic. Another in-house hire?