Page 12 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Mike Tomlin, three .500 seasons and three nine win seasons.

Starter

User Info Menu

This topic has been discussed a lot obviously but to add to this, if you were running the team when would you have fired Tomlin?

- Trying to trip a player on national television.
    - Losing to Tim Tebow in OT in the playoffs.
    - Getting blown out by the Patriots in the AFCCG with a gameplan and prep that gave his team absolutely no chance.
    - Losing to Blake Bortles in the playoffs at home while his team gives up 45 points.
    - Losing to a Browns team in the playoffs at home without it's head coach and missing like 10 starters and giving up 48 points.

Which was the worst? Which the most fireable? This is all in good fun so please don't take it seriously (although let's be honest it's not good lol).

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

4-5 years ago…. And I obviously would have been right.
    Update:
    In the last decade:
    25% of the league has won a super bowl. The steelers are not one of them.
    18 teams have as many or more playoff wins as the steelers.
    25 teams have won at least one playoff game, none have a worse playoff win percentage than the steelers.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by T.Ferguson View Post
    This topic has been discussed a lot obviously but to add to this, if you were running the team when would you have fired Tomlin?

- Getting blown out by the Patriots in the AFCCG with a gameplan and prep that gave his team absolutely no chance.
    - Losing to Blake Bortles in the playoffs at home while his team gives up 45 points.
    - Losing to a Browns team in the playoffs at home without it's head coach and missing like 10 starters and giving up 48 points.

Which was the worst? Which the most fireable? This is all in good fun so please don't take it seriously (although let's be honest it's not good lol).
    Tomlin's defense made Blake Bortles look like the second coming of Tom Brady. Losing to the Jags both times.....at home....and the last one in the playoffs was the most egregious.
    The Browns loss....at home, also was just as egregious.

But...he;s not going anywhere because good "yes" men like him are hard to find. As he continues to embarrass himself, the Tomlin supporters will get madder and madder (as they've been). We are going to restock, rebuild this team and it will be a great team once again. And when we do, we will get eliminated in the playoffs continuously again & again as we just did the last decade.

THEN....the cry of getting rid of Tomlin will be heard and embraced by all. That's why I don't want him to go anyplace.
    From the 2010-2021 season, (A 12year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Currently, Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game in 5 years.

Dolphin fans in the 90ís held on to Don Shula for too long for what he did in the playoffs in the 70ís...
    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2021 ) holding on to Tomlin for too long for what he did in 2008, with Cowher's players & coaches.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by T.Ferguson View Post

If I was running the team I would’ve moved on from Ben and kept AB and Bell…

sorry but I think the QB cap hit and inconsistent play has been our biggest weakness in the playoffs since the AFCCG loss.

But to your question… after the AFCCG loss to the Pats would’ve been my first time really flirting with firing Tomlin. I was hot at that defensive game plan and furious with Tomlin and DL.

But I’m like the Rooney’s. Once I slept on it and revisited the game I made peace with it. I’m not big on firing head coaches who win a lot of games.. even if they have droughts in the playoffs.

Tomlin having playoff losses recently is like Cowher’s years with losing seasons.
    Last edited by feltdizz; 05-12-2022 at 03:50 PM.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    the cry of getting rid of Tomlin will be heard and embraced by all. That's why I don't want him to go anyplace.
    we should get rid of Tomlin just like how the Dolphins finally got rid of that bum Don Shula.

after all, just look at how many Super Bowls the Dolphins have won since they did.

Boom..........

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    What the Tomlin lovers don’t get is every time they say ‘he never had a losing season’ just reinforces how much he has failed in the post season.
    Right. More about Mike Tomiln losing to inferior teams in the playoffs? Help me out in case I made a mistake, this brings back bad memories.

2007 loses to Jacksonville. Steelers were favorite to win. A home game
    2010 Losses the Super Bowl. No issues here, Green Bay was a fine team
    2011 losses to Denver. The 12-4 Steelers were favorite and home team
    2014 loses to Baltimore. We were the home team and favorite.
    2015 losses to Denver. Tim Tebow was the QB. The 10-6 Steelers were favorites and at home
    2017. Lost to the New England . Blow out loss. In this one we weren't favorite.
    2019 Lost to Jacksonville . We had a 13-3 team. Upset again, we were favorite
    2020. Lost to Browns . Another 12-4 team down the drain, we were favorite
    2021. Lost to KC Chiefs. We weren't favored and this was a blow out loss

Tomlin backers what say you? He either had the better team going in or was blown out! More often than not, we were the home team. This is a pattern. A bad pattern. I never saw this part of the equation reasoned out.
    Last edited by Joel Buchsbaum; 05-12-2022 at 05:48 PM.
    Tomlin has a losing records in the playoffs.
    6 years and counting, no playoff wins. Yet 25 other teams have at least one playoff win is this span of time. His game day decisions and use of the red flag suck. His record on hiring good OC's and DC's is terrible. He doesn't say that's on me when things go wrong. Enough is enough.

Starter

User Info Menu

Mike Tomlin is a subtle but superior self promoter. I refer y'all to the father of Public Relations, Edward Bernays.
    "A straight face is money in the bank." Cheers an' 'at.
    Last edited by Bawb the Revelator; 05-12-2022 at 06:28 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    Right. More about Mike Tomiln losing to inferior teams in the playoffs? Help me out in case I made a mistake, this brings back bad memories.

2015 losses to Denver. Tim Tebow was the QB. The 10-6 Steelers were favorites and at home

Tomlin backers what say you? He either had the better team going in or was blown out! More often than not, we were the home team. This is a pattern. A bad pattern. I never saw this part of the equation reasoned out.
    you have the Denver games mixed up and we never played Denver at home in the playoffs. Tebow was 2012 and Manning flopping and getting back up was 2015.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Most teams fire coach's after having entire losing seasons, we are talking about firing our coach from 6 games cherry picked from a 15 year career, I think that tells you all you need to know.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    So much wrong here, where to start...

2007 - Jax was a 2.5 pt favorite
    2011 - That game was in Denver
    2015 - Peyton Manning was the QB and again, that game was in Denver
    2016 - That was the blowout at NE
    2017 - That was the loss to Jacksonville
    2019 - Steelers didn't make the playoffs