Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Does Claypool need glasses?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    I don't understand how some fans turn so quickly on talented players like Claypool. It's not Claypool's fault that he played with a QB that couldn't throw the ball down field with consistency. The NFL is a QB driven league. As a result, fair or not, ...................

I am sure that the quality WR the Steelers have would thrive with better QB play. QB is the one position that can influence every aspect of the game of football. That's one reason they are paid so much money.
    I think it's (1) the first down sign (2) he is raw but has such tantalizing traits that we all want him to keep getting better, and (3) he saw a pretty significant drop in TDs from year 1 to year 2..

He's had ~ 1000 total yards in each of his first two years.

He's a reasonable WR2 with room to grow.

And that's on a team that couldn't throw deep...which should be something he's good at.

Hopefully we have a more dynamic offense this year and Claypool gets closer to his ceiling (which seems like it's pretty high).

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    So Claypool gets a pass because this last season, in your estimation, his failures were almost entirely about Ben's deficiencies as a QB?
    I wish all of our "failures" produced as much as Claypool did.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I wish all of our "failures" produced as much as Claypool did.
    To be clear, I don't think he was a total bust

but

he had a lot of "bust" plays, fails, particularly in situations where he had to try to make a contested catch

https://www.si.com/nfl/steelers/alls...pool-boom-bust

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think it's (1) the first down sign (2) he is raw but has such tantalizing traits that we all want him to keep getting better, and (3) he saw a pretty significant drop in TDs from year 1 to year 2..

And that's on a team that couldn't throw deep...which should be something he's good at.

Hopefully we have a more dynamic offense this year and Claypool gets closer to his ceiling (which seems like it's pretty high).
    Ben's rag arm or not, plenty of balls fell into CC's mitts that he failed to hold onto. Then, on top of that, he showed clear immaturity and the beginning of being a diva - sans the actual talent of a diva. Another clear sign of a player needed whipped into shape by the coaches, but where are they?

Legend

User Info Menu

Claypool has a lot of untapped potential, IMO

maybe the new WRs coach will be a key to getting more of it out of him

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Despite starting 7 more games, CC had less catches, less yards and far less TDs (2 compared to 11). You got to blame more than elements beyond his control for all of that to happen. It seemed every time I looked up he was dropping another pass that hit him in the mitts.