Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4 remaining weak spots

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

4 remaining weak spots

https://stillcurtain.com/2022/05/07/...dressed-draft/

Most of us could guess them: OL, S, backup RB, Edge depth. OL is my biggest concern. I would have spent both 7th rounders on OTs, instead of a 4th string QB and project ILB.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whisper View Post

Most of us could guess them: OL, S, backup RB, Edge depth. OL is my biggest concern. I would have spent both 7th rounders on OTs, instead of a 4th string QB and project ILB.
    Don't forget NT. That is a weak spot. And punter too, though that is an easy one to fix. Harvin was dead last in punting. Corner back could a weak spot as well. We nickel and dime it in free agency but upgraded it.
    Tomlin has a losing records in the playoffs.
    6 years and counting, no playoff wins. Yet 25 other teams have at least one playoff win is this span of time. His game day decisions and use of the red flag suck. His record on hiring good OC's and DC's is terrible. He doesn't say that's on me when things go wrong. Enough is enough.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Your 7th round OTs would have been likely cut or inactive every week. They have a young LT who deserves a 2nd season and a decent/average RT. They have spent multiple picks and FA acquisitions on interior OL the last two years.

Also, in what universe is S a weak spot on this team?

Edge and RB depth are legit concerns.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I never would have guessed those positions. Safety, edge, and backup RB are well below the need for a NT, Buck LB, and OT. We don't have a starting-caliber Buck on the team, in my opinion.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel View Post
    I never would have guessed those positions. Safety, edge, and backup RB are well below the need for a NT, Buck LB, and OT. We don't have a starting-caliber Buck on the team, in my opinion.
    I agree with your assessment. The 7th round pick just smells BUCK. Hope he pans out.
    Tomlin has a losing records in the playoffs.
    6 years and counting, no playoff wins. Yet 25 other teams have at least one playoff win is this span of time. His game day decisions and use of the red flag suck. His record on hiring good OC's and DC's is terrible. He doesn't say that's on me when things go wrong. Enough is enough.

Legend

User Info Menu

OL for sure. We are solid at Safety and EDGE. DL hinges on the return of Tuitt..

Legend

User Info Menu

DL and OL are the concerns. Safety is fine and backup RB has been addressed as well.

I think our moves in FA for OL were good.

Interior DL is the biggest concern.
    Tomlins coming back so what can you do?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    Don't forget NT. That is a weak spot. And punter too, though that is an easy one to fix. Harvin was dead last in punting. Corner back could a weak spot as well. We nickel and dime it in free agency but upgraded it.
    You're right: I was lulled into sleep on NT and general DL as well, plus CB, which is hardly stellar. Alualu is approaching mid-30's. coming off an injury. Counting on him for a season-long stud at NT is not wise. We have bits and pieces at CB, nothing stands out as a known given in quality.

Legend

User Info Menu

You're right: I was lulled into sleep on NT and general DL as well, plus CB, which is hardly stellar. Alualu is approaching mid-30's. coming off an injury. Counting on him for a season-long stud at NT is not wise. We have bits and pieces at CB, nothing stands out as a known given in quality.
    You can't tell that to some. The D-line starters are old and there isn't adequate depth that will uphold quality play. Add to that the season's are one game longer now and it makes a recipe for poor play by season's end.
    From the 2010-2021 season, (A 12year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Currently, Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game in 5 years.

Dolphin fans in the 90s held on to Don Shula for too long for what he did in the playoffs in the 70s...
    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2021 ) holding on to Tomlin for too long for what he did in 2008, with Cowher's players & coaches.

Legend

User Info Menu

Id say the jury is still out and our weak spots depend.

If we can threaten the middle of the field consistently and pull defenders out of the box, that will open up our running game and take pressure off the OL and well be ok there.

On D, Im a little more concerned about the DL, ILB, CB, and S. But the O keeping out D on the sideline can help.