Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ben had 7 game winning drives last year.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Ben had 7 game winning drives last year.

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...R/RoetBe00.htm

Ben had 7 game winning drives last year, which are 4th quarter drives that put us ahead for good, and 6 4th quarter comebacks. Career highs by a good margin. We were very close in a lot of games, and basically won them all. This is rare in football, and odds are we won't be seeing this again. Bye Ben, you'll be missed. If we spilt these games we end up a losing record. A bad one. That's how close we were to a 5-11-1 season. Our margin of error with a low scoring offense was next to zero. It a good thing Ben didn't turn the ball over often. Just saying.
    Last edited by Joel Buchsbaum; 05-07-2022 at 10:22 AM.
    This year will tell a lot about the direction the Steelers are going in. One good thing is we got what seems like a hot draft class in Pickens, Leal, and Austin. Possibly Robinson.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

As you imply, those kinds of things are not sustainable year over year, but the makeup of this team has changed markedly on the OL and of course with a new QB, so I think this year is a blank slate, at least on offense.

Legend

User Info Menu

The reason for so many comebacks was 3 quarters of terrible offense.

Most blame Canada but I think it was a combination. No way a QB like Ben follows marching orders until the 4th quarter. It was the Ali rope-a-dope.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post

Most blame Canada but I think it was a combination. No way a QB like Ben follows marching orders until the 4th quarter. It was the Ali rope-a-dope.
    I agree that it was both of them.

Hopefully we can carry more leads into the 4th this year. And that Canada will be better with an O that supposedly fits what he wants

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post

The odds are with a new QB ( Rookie or Turbisky ) and more risk in the passing game we turn the ball over more often. Harris will likely lose a fumble this season too. I'm saying we won't be able to replicate that type of success in terms of the 4th quarter game winning drives and comebacks. Losing Ben will hurt more than we think.
    This year will tell a lot about the direction the Steelers are going in. One good thing is we got what seems like a hot draft class in Pickens, Leal, and Austin. Possibly Robinson.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    The odds are with a new QB ( Rookie or Turbisky ) and more risk in the passing game we turn the ball over more often. Harris will likely lose a fumble this season too. I'm saying we won't be able to replicate that type of success in terms of the 4th quarter game winning drives and comebacks. Losing Ben will hurt more than we think.
    Odds are they put up more than 23 PPG, too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Harris only had one fumble at Bama. Odda are he probably has a fumble again this year with all the touches.

But one can also say Minkah will have more INT’s since he was down last year.

We really have no idea how our turnover rate will play out. Of course it makes sense you would think worse instead of better.

Some folks are optimistic, others pessimistic.

But I’m more focused on PPG and better offensive production in the first half.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think one of Ben's main issues was he could no longer push the ball down the field accurately and consistently. I think the Oline was probably a factor in Ben's in his " after football" quality of life decisions on the field.

Don't know if the stats back me up.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

You wont have to replicate 4th quarter comebacks if you move the ball during the first three quarters. We werent behind in the games just because of turnovers we were behind because we could sustain a drive.

Legend

User Info Menu

Ben was special.

He'd slipped a fair bit by the end.

But he always had the heart of a lion.

I didn't want us to bring him back, but it was nice to see the comebacks. And to see him beat the Brown and Rats a couple more times.