Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This I think. The offense.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

This I think. The offense.

I'm willing to give Canada a chance ( what choice do we have )?

Now he has another down the field receiver, a legit center though not a good one, a better than average guard, a young TE who should be a better blocker in his second year, a package short receiver with mismatch speed, and isn't dealing with a 39-year-old QB who can't escape the rush/Beat the blitz.

This new offense will also benefit Harris who will look like a new back. We now have a better OL, and guys who can catch it short ( and do damage ) medium or long. This will open up for him and defenses won't be waiting in the box for him because they are worried about other guys, nor will they be in the backfield.

Claypool and Johnson will have to make do with fewer target attempts, but so F'n what. We will be gaining more yards per play at his expense and converting more often on deep throws and short throws that Johnson does nothing with. I think Johnson won't fit and will privately or publicly say something but so what. He out in a year anyway. Claypool has competition at what he does best and better shape his act up.

Who knows how Pickett will play as a rookie, but the pieces in theory are in place, and the OL will be better. A better offense is what I see.
    This year will tell a lot about the direction the Steelers are going in. One good thing is we got what seems like a hot draft class in Pickens, Leal, and Austin. Possibly Robinson.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    I'm willing to give Canada a chance ( what choice do we have )?

Now he has another down the field receiver, a legit center though not a good one, a better than average guard, a young TE who should be a better blocker in his second year, a package short receiver with mismatch speed, and isn't dealing with a 39-year-old QB who can't escape the rush/Beat the blitz.

This new offense will also benefit Harris who will look like a new back. We now have a better OL, and guys who can catch it short ( and do damage ) medium or long. This will open up for him and defenses won't be waiting in the box for him because they are worried about other guys, nor will they be in the backfield.

Claypool and Johnson will have to make do with fewer target attempts, but so F'n what. We will be gaining more yards per play at his expense and converting more often on deep throws and short throws that Johnson does nothing with. I think Johnson won't fit and will privately or publicly say something but so what. He out in a year anyway. Claypool has competition at what he does best and better shape his act up.

Who knows how Pickett will play as a rookie, but the pieces in theory are in place, and the OL will be better. A better offense is what I see.
    Offense is going to look totally different I think with a QB with younger legs. Ben still had some magic in the 4th but I believe if he was saving himself due to age and wear and tear.

Youth movement is almost complete! People were predicting Tomlin’s first losing season and I think we may be a 10 or 11 win team IF the defense doesn’t have another wave of injuries after the first game.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Offense is going to look totally different I think with a QB with younger legs. Ben still had some magic in the 4th but I believe if he was saving himself due to age and wear and tear.

Youth movement is almost complete! People were predicting Tomlin’s first losing season and I think we may be a 10 or 11 win team IF the defense doesn’t have another wave of injuries after the first game.
    We were near the bottom of offense in 2021, we will be a few ticks better in 2022 but nothing extraordinary. First of all, as the OP said, we have Canada back. After researching him a bit, I'm willing to give him another chance in 2022. (But no more excuses of a 38-year-old QB.) The draft was supposedly Canada-oriented, getting players who fit his system, including Austin and even - believe it or not - Heyward.

But short of Kyle Shanahan, I don't see a "system" that can radically improve a teams production without a QB and OL. We have moderate upgrades on the OL, are they enough to make a significant difference? I don't know. We have either a "so so' QB veteran or a rookie at QB, so there is that. I think it all adds up to an O somewhere in the 20's.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post

Youth movement is almost complete! People were predicting Tomlinís first losing season and I think we may be a 10 or 11 win team IF the defense doesnít have another wave of injuries after the first game.
    I can see it coming together. But this is only on paper. They have to do it in the field. I hope the Steelers avoid a short predictable offense like last year. Open things up a little. The youth movement is far from complete. The offense still has needs, and the defense outside of 2 players are journeymen. Fingers crossed that Tuitt comes back to 80% of his old self. We will need 1-2 more drafts to fix the mess and we have to hit on 75% or the round one-three player.

10 or 11 wins? Likely not this year. A losing season and draft position would be the best long term result during the re-build.
    This year will tell a lot about the direction the Steelers are going in. One good thing is we got what seems like a hot draft class in Pickens, Leal, and Austin. Possibly Robinson.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    A losing season and draft position would be the best long term result during the re-build.
    You are good.

You sir have done the impossible.

You came up with a legit reason to fire Tomlin we can ALL agree on.

Pursuing higher draft picks so we can enjoy 20 years of Cleveland Browns level success.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 05-06-2022 at 01:19 PM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    You are good.

You sir have done the impossible.

You came up with a legit reason to fire Tomlin we can ALL agree on.

Pursuing higher draft picks so we can enjoy 20 years of Cleveland Browns level success.
    It won't take 20 years. More like 1-2 more and the right draft picks. We were lucky to finish where we did. Not next season.

Legend

User Info Menu

Top 10 offense in 2022 if Trubisky is the QB.

No disrespect to Pickett but as a rookie he will have games he struggles in
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Top 10 offense in 2022 if Trubisky is the QB.

No disrespect to Pickett but as a rookie he will have games he struggles in
    So will Mitch.

Legend

User Info Menu

You guys forget how much our OL improved when we yanked Green and put in JC...
    I refuse to believe we wont be drastically improved with the two guys we brought in.. and the return of Dodson.
    Our interior 3 should be above average.. and that should change the complexion of this offense completely

Legend

User Info Menu

Our OL didn’t improve when we sat Green. The effort from the other team decreased significantly because the Browns were eliminated from the playoffs.. and it was Ben’s last home game.

The next game our OL looked just
    like it did every other week when we
    played the Ravens and they were fighting to make the playoffs.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?