Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ben had 7 game winning drives last year.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    The odds are with a new QB ( Rookie or Turbisky ) and more risk in the passing game we turn the ball over more often. Harris will likely lose a fumble this season too. I'm saying we won't be able to replicate that type of success in terms of the 4th quarter game winning drives and comebacks. Losing Ben will hurt more than we think.
    You wont have to replicate 4th quarter comebacks if you move the ball during the first three quarters. We werent behind in the games just because of turnovers we were behind because we could sustain a drive.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post
    HOF QB can check out of play calls, or progress past his first read. He often threw short of the sticks on 3rd down when other receivers were open or breaking open past them.

This.. I donít buy Ben being handcuffed and forced to go short on 3rd and 8. Not saying Canada deserves no blame but I was at the Cincinnati game in Pittsburgh and Ben rarely pushed the ball even when he had time.

For those that say Ben was always under pressure, that wasnít true.. there were times he made his decision when he broke the huddle.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    This.. I don’t buy Ben being handcuffed and forced to go short on 3rd and 8. Not saying Canada deserves no blame but I was at the Cincinnati game in Pittsburgh and Ben rarely pushed the ball even when he had time.

For those that say Ben was always under pressure, that wasn’t true.. there were times he made his decision when he broke the huddle.
    There were also times, that Ben looked to the sidelines, after throwing a WR/RB bubble screen, where he shrugged his shoulders, as if to say, "That's what you called and it got us nothing." I saw this more than once, usually on 3rd down.

Legend

User Info Menu

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...R/RoetBe00.htm

Ben had 7 game winning drives last year, which are 4th quarter drives that put us ahead for good, and 6 4th quarter comebacks. Career highs by a good margin. We were very close in a lot of games, and basically won them all. This is rare in football, and odds are we won't be seeing this again. Bye Ben, you'll be missed. If we spilt these games we end up a losing record. A bad one. That's how close we were to a 5-11-1 season. Our margin of error with a low scoring offense was next to zero. It a good thing Ben didn't turn the ball over often. Just saying.
    This is why when people talk about "how bad Ben was", I tend to disagree.

Was the the same guy as he was 15 years ago? No. But, I argue that he was still one of the 10 best QB in the league, but simply had crap for play calling, I presume in an effort to save him from the crap o-line. But, in the 4th quarter when they had no other choice but to actually *try*, you saw exactly who he was at that point. And that guy is still one of the better QBs in the league

Not that he's going to pull a Brady, but if he came back now, he'd be the best QB on the roster...
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

2022 Final Mock
    1 - Malik Wills, QB, Liberty Kenny Pickett, QB, Pitt
    2 - Travis Jones, NT, Uconn George Pickens, WR, UGa
    3 - Jalen Tolbert, WR, USA DeMarvin Leal, DE, TAMU

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    This.. I don’t buy Ben being handcuffed and forced to go short on 3rd and 8. Not saying Canada deserves no blame but I was at the Cincinnati game in Pittsburgh and Ben rarely pushed the ball even when he had time.

For those that say Ben was always under pressure, that wasn’t true.. there were times he made his decision when he broke the huddle.
    Honestly, I think he knew why the play calling was as it was (the o-line sucked) and he didn't want to wait and find out. "If you're calling a bubble screen to the fullback, ok. If you don't trust dem linemen, I don't either."

2022 Final Mock

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post

Was the the same guy as he was 15 years ago? No. But, I argue that he was still one of the 10 best QB in the league, but simply had crap for play calling, I presume in an effort to save him from the crap o-line. But, in the 4th quarter when they had no other choice but to actually *try*, you saw exactly who he was at that point. And that guy is still one of the better QBs in the league

Not that he's going to pull a Brady, but if he came back now, he'd be the best QB on the roster...
    In his final year Ben was more like the 20-25th best QB in the NFL, but the play calling? Ben was right to shrug his shoulders. Don't call bubble screens, and draws on 3rd and 8! Challenge the middle of the field form time to time. throw it next to or past the 1st down marker. Our new WR's add some much needed mismatch ability in terms of size, speed, and moves. DB's will have to respect that.
    Last edited by Joel Buchsbaum; 05-08-2022 at 03:16 PM.
    Tomlin has a losing records in the playoffs.
    6 years and counting, no playoff wins. Yet 25 other teams have at least one playoff win is this span of time. His game day decisions and use of the red flag suck. His record on hiring good OC's and DC's is terrible. He doesn't say that's on me when things go wrong. Enough is enough.

Legend

User Info Menu

In his final year Ben was more like the 20-25th best QB in the NFL, but the play calling? Ben was right to shrug his shoulders. Don't call bubble screens, and draws on 3rd and 8! Challenge the middle of the field form time to time. throw it next to or past the 1st down marker. Our new WR's add some much needed mismatch ability in terms of size, speed, and moves. DB's will have to respect that.
    When the Steelers got the ball in the 4th quarter and were within a score, did you ever doubt that he would lead the team to a score? I never did. I don't think I could find other QBs who I felt as confident about in the clutch.

Basically, when he was allowed to go hurry up and call his own plays, he had "it". To me that's a signal that the OC's play-calling held him back - how much, we may never know.

2022 Final Mock

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

When the Steelers got the ball in the 4th quarter and were within a score, did you ever doubt that he would lead the team to a score? I never did. I don't think I could find other QBs who I felt as confident about in the clutch.

Basically, when he was allowed to go hurry up and call his own plays, he had "it". To me that's a signal that the OC's play-calling held him back - how much, we may never know.
    We may never know fully, but we will know more.

Legend

User Info Menu

I agree .....

Legend

User Info Menu

Honestly, if he was somehow brought into camp as an anonymous.. with his current skill sets.. he wouldnt make it out of camp.