Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: This I think. The offense.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Our OL didn’t improve when we sat Green. The effort from the other team decreased significantly because the Browns were eliminated from the playoffs.. and it was Ben’s last home game.

The next game our OL looked just
    like it did every other week when we
    played the Ravens and they were fighting to make the playoffs.
    Our play at Center improved.. as well as the running game.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    Our play at Center improved.. as well as the running game.
    27 rushing attempts for 83 yards vs the Ravens.

when we played a team that was in the hunt:

2.6 ypc

Najee: 11 for 28
    Snell: 12 for 22
    Ballage: 1 for 0

and Claypool 3 for 33 on jet sweeps.

Our OL did not improve.

vs KC.

rushing: 18 for 57 yards.. 2.8 ypc

Our OL did not improve.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Legend

User Info Menu

27 rushing attempts for 83 yards vs the Ravens.

when we played a team that was in the hunt:

2.6 ypc

Najee: 11 for 28
    Snell: 12 for 22
    Ballage: 1 for 0

and Claypool 3 for 33 on jet sweeps.

Our OL did not improve.

vs KC.

rushing: 18 for 57 yards.. 2.8 ypc

Our OL did not improve.
    I wouldnt use stats vs the #1 rushing Defense in the league to validate an argument...
    While dismissing the best rushing performance in 3-4 years as "The other team lying down".

Legend

User Info Menu

I wouldnt use stats vs the #1 rushing Defense in the league to validate an argument...
    While dismissing the best rushing performance in 3-4 years as "The other team lying down".
    which is why I included the KC game as well.

and we had a 3.4 ypc in our first game vs the Ravens with Green.

I think a larger sample size shows the Browns game was an outlier.

Bens last game
    Browns eliminated
    Game was at home

When we played teams who needed a win our OL was actually worse.

Legend

User Info Menu

which is why I included the KC game as well.

and we had a 3.4 ypc in our first game vs the Ravens with Green.

I think a larger sample size shows the Browns game was an outlier.

Bens last game
    Browns eliminated
    Game was at home

When we played teams who needed a win our OL was actually worse.
    I'd argue that there were other factors that contributed to the KC loss.. if you reflect on the first half of the KC game...but the OL certainly wasnt great regardless.
    The 1st half of the KC game was in my mind one of the worst offensive game plans weve ever had... complete garbage.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'd argue that there were other factors that contributed to the KC loss.. if you reflect on the first half of the KC game...but the OL certainly wasnt great regardless.
    The 1st half of the KC game was in my mind one of the worst offensive game plans weve ever had... complete garbage.
    Don’t get me wrong. I wanted to believe our OL improved but the next 2 games showed otherwise.

We had a lot of possessions in the first half of the KC game too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Don’t get me wrong. I wanted to believe our OL improved but the next 2 games showed otherwise.

We had a lot of possessions in the first half of the KC game too.
    I guess there wasnt enough of a sample size to say either way for sure.
    One thing I do remember.. JC wasnt getting pushed into the backfield like Green was.
    Green's one positive quality (supposedly) was his first step quickness.. and that is taken away from him at C. Hopefully they will let him compete at his natural position (Guard) with better results.

Legend

User Info Menu

I said it all throughout last season and will stick to my guns. Nothing on the offense could be evaluated last year due to the line. Najee had nowhere to run without being swarmed, Ben was under pressure the second he had the ball snapped to him, and the receivers had no time to get open.

Is the QB position upgraded? Are Pickens and Austin an improvement over JuJu and Washington? Will Najee be a better player in year 2? All of that is moot if the moves made to make the line better do not pan out. Period.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    I said it all throughout last season and will stick to my guns. Nothing on the offense could be evaluated last year due to the line. Najee had nowhere to run without being swarmed, Ben was under pressure the second he had the ball snapped to him, and the receivers had no time to get open.

Is the QB position upgraded? Are Pickens and Austin an improvement over JuJu and Washington? Will Najee be a better player in year 2? All of that is moot if the moves made to make the line better do not pan out. Period.
    I agree on the running game but I think the OL was better than they were given credit for in pass protection. Did they fail at times? Sure.. but there were times Ben had time to go downfield.

and I also think Najee didn’t always hit the hole and tried to bounce outside and found out this isn’t college.

OL
    definitely meeds to improve but so
    does the play of our skill position players

Rarely will a play work exactly as its drawn up. Our skill players have to make plays and can’t hide behind the OL because they failed on plays. When they didn’t fail, those are the plays we have to make teams pay and far too often we chose the easy way out which was bouncing outside for a 2 yd play, a conservative pass on 3rd and 9 or hail mary on 3rd and short.

and these younger QB’s can and should move their feet to turn some of these busted plays into positives or at least avoid the sack and live another down.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Top 10 offense in 2022 if Trubisky is the QB.

No disrespect to Pickett but as a rookie he will have games he struggles in
    pass whatever you are smoking, lol.

Thatís comeback of the year stats. Top 10 offense on a mew team after sitting the bench for a year? okay..

Mitch is coming into a totally new offense after taking a year off. Not sure why people believe he has the inside track simply because we gave him 2/14. That doesnít really scream heía our guy to me. Then we draft a QB in the first round on top
    of that?

If Mitch led us to a top 10 offense with his arm Pickett will never win the job.. lol