Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kevin Dotson

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Green could move to Guard and push him to the bench

Dotson needs to do MUCH BETTER than last year
    Green could be joining him on the bench. He sucks. We NEED MUCH BETTER.
    Tomlin has a losing records in the playoffs.
    6 years and counting, no playoff wins. Yet 25 other teams have at least one playoff win is this span of time. His game day decisions and use of the red flag suck. His record on hiring good OC's and DC's is terrible. He doesn't say that's on me when things go wrong. Enough is enough.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    Drafted in 2020... This is 2022... if the question is "after 4 years", perhaps we should wait 2 more to answer...
    I meant after 4 years should he be replaced. He is on his 3rd year. The jury is still out, I vote yes, he's not good enough.
    6 years and counting, no playoff wins. Yet 25 other teams have at least one playoff win is this span of time. His game day decisions and use of the red flag suck. His record on hiring good OC's and DC's is terrible. He doesn't say that's on me when things go wrong. Enough is enough.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    I meant after 4 years should he be replaced. He is on his 3rd year. The jury is still out, I vote yes, he's not good enough.
    As a day 3 selection in the 2020 draft and given the 2022 draft was this past weekend, he's roughly 2 years and 5 days in...

HOWEVER, given contracts aren't signed until over the summer (his was July 2020), the guy's not quite 2 years in.

Since he's a guy making under $1 mil per season, the team should keep paying him peanuts for 2 more years because worst case, he's a solid, cheap backup.

Having said all that - if you think he's not good enough, why are you suggesting the team wait 2 more years to replace him on the depth chart?
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

2022 Final Mock
    1 - Malik Wills, QB, Liberty Kenny Pickett, QB, Pitt
    2 - Travis Jones, NT, Uconn George Pickens, WR, UGa
    3 - Jalen Tolbert, WR, USA DeMarvin Leal, DE, TAMU

Legend

User Info Menu

Dodson was rated as the best run blocker coming out.

He played well as a rookie..
    No reason why he cant return to that this yr (and more) as part of a revamped OL

Legend

User Info Menu

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't he play RG in college and was switched to LG by the Steelers? That's at least half a season adjustment right there. Also I think the Steelers run success rate was better with him in than out (need to fact check).

And why get rid of a guy that could be a good quality backup if he doesn't work at as a starter? It's not like he's being paid a ton of money.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    How did Dotson go from so promising to so bad in 1 year? I seem to remember they weren’t happy with his lack of work ethic in the offseason.

I think he’s got the talent and the question is he willing to put in the work to be great? He can be.

Re: Green, I wouldn’t give up on him too quick. Kid has got some speed and a good demeanor for an Olineman. Pouncey isn’t gonna waste his time working out with a kid without some serious potential. He was definitely in over his head in year 1 making the position switch and with all the other problems on O. I expect a different player to come back after this offseason.

Seriously, I don’t think we’ve ever had a lineman that can get upfield to block faster than this kid. He’s got something unique.

Dotson was never good. He lost the new car smell as soon as other teams figured him out. Green can run block at all. He gets no push. In fact, he gets pushed backward. The quickest way to destroy a ground game is with a weak run-blocking center. He can't change his size, and lacks technique. I would not be afraid to cut him. At best he's the backup guard.

Legend

User Info Menu

Dotson was never good. He lost the new car smell as soon as other teams figured him out. Green can run block at all. He gets no push. In fact, he gets pushed backward. The quickest way to destroy a ground game is with a weak run-blocking center. He can't change his size, and lacks technique. I would not be afraid to cut him. At best he's the backup guard.
    That statement about Dotson is truley puzzling.. but agree with your comments on Green.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If the Steelers didn't give up on Chuks, they're not giving up on Green or Dotson so early. Dotson's growth was hampered by an injury all year. Hoping Dotson-Cole-Daniels is a big improvement up the middle, Chuks remains average, and Moore makes a jump.

JC Hassenauer was terrible as a rookie but improved last year. Let's see what Green can do.
    Last edited by WindyCitySteel; 05-07-2022 at 10:14 AM.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    As a day 3 selection in the 2020 draft and given the 2022 draft was this past weekend, he's roughly 2 years and 5 days in...

HOWEVER, given contracts aren't signed until over the summer (his was July 2020), the guy's not quite 2 years in.

Since he's a guy making under $1 mil per season, the team should keep paying him peanuts for 2 more years because worst case, he's a solid, cheap backup.

Having said all that - if you think he's not good enough, why are you suggesting the team wait 2 more years to replace him on the depth chart?
    No, I'm saying he should be replaced with a better starter next year. The contract means we have him for cheap. He'll likely start this year, all he has to do is beat out an awful Green and Leglue. Leglue didn't play badly the given a chance. I want another look at him in camp before judgement. Dotson is strictly a guard, and like your said a cheap one. I'm not saying he should be cut, rather he should be replaced with a better starter next year in the draft / free agency. He's a poor starter in a field of worse options for the Steelers.
    Last edited by Joel Buchsbaum; 05-07-2022 at 11:17 AM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Green could be joining him on the bench. He sucks. We NEED MUCH BETTER.
    Odd that Cool Shades gave Green a vote of confidence to play OC while Ben publicly said Green would be better suited playing OG. I guess Cool Shades' opinion is the one that matters so we shall see.