Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wathcing film of Kenny Pickett. The red flags.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Wathcing film of Kenny Pickett. The red flags.

Red flags.

He always in the shot gun. I checked, and he only took 4 snaps under center last year. More on the time theory later.

He took the 3rd longest of college QB's to throw the ball! Longest IF he was in NFL. And he was in the shot gun giving himself a little extra time. PFF reports that Pickett "Holding onto the ball often welcomes pressure, and Pickett was charged with 34 pressures this past season, tying for the second-most in the FBS. The more time a qb has the easier it is it make the throw. He took a lot of time.

This will not work with OL, he's got to improve processing speed!

We know about the fumbles, 38 times 26 lost, and this has to do with processing speed. If he only thew the ball sooner say 1/2 second sooner.

The arm is all right. I checked and he can make the throws, including on the run but it's not on Mahomes or Joe Burrow other " small handed qb's " qb's that that critics says he compares with level. Besides they didn't fumble as much in college.

He's almost 24 year old. The learning phase to correct these issue would be younger than that.

He might have a passing tell. I dunno no it seems like he does in the film I watch. Then again he's always in the gun for passing plays.
    Last edited by Joel Buchsbaum; 05-03-2022 at 12:42 PM.
    Tomlin has a losing records in the playoffs.
    6 years and counting, no playoff wins. Yet 25 other teams have at least one playoff win is this span of time. His game day decisions and use of the red flag suck. His record on hiring good OC's and DC's is terrible. He doesn't say that's on me when things go wrong. Enough is enough.

Starter

User Info Menu

A lot of similarities to Ben. (Shotgun and holding on to the ball) Could this be the "Mark Whipple" connection?
    [URL]http://imgcash5.imageshack.us/img356/1595/smuj2.jpg[/URL]
    ~Props to AS, my sig Consigliere~

"Even the strongest man needs friends.... Politics is knowing when to pull the trigger."
    ~ Don Lucchesi to Vincent

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler Mafia View Post
    A lot of similarities to Ben. (Shotgun and holding on to the ball) Could this be the "Mark Whipple" connection?
    Yeah, but Ben's didn't fumble as much, and he's no Ben when it compares to arm strength. It's been a while, but I seem to remember no issues for Ben taking snaps under center, including to QB to Center exchange. I took a snap from a college center. They really fire that football. Fans don't release this. And my hands are only 9 inches, which in every day terms are big hands. In the NFL they would be small, and Pickett's are even smaller. This may be a issue for Pickett the Center to QB exchange. I know I'm nit " Picking "
    Last edited by Joel Buchsbaum; 05-03-2022 at 12:56 PM.
    6 years and counting, no playoff wins. Yet 25 other teams have at least one playoff win is this span of time. His game day decisions and use of the red flag suck. His record on hiring good OC's and DC's is terrible. He doesn't say that's on me when things go wrong. Enough is enough.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If he holds onto the ball that long, with our OL (and his propensity to cough the ball up) he (and we) are in for a long, painful ride. We will - without doubt - hear about how bad our OL is, and with good measure , but he can't hold onto the ball this long at the next level.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whisper View Post
    If he holds onto the ball that long, with our OL (and his propensity to cough the ball up) he (and we) are in for a long, painful ride. We will - without doubt - hear about how bad our OL is, and with good measure , but he can't hold onto the ball this long at the next level.
    My thoughts exactly. And we can't run all our Pickett plays out of shot gun. It tips off a pass or a run draw. Offesive play calling needs unpredictability.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    My thoughts exactly. And we can't run all our Pickett plays out of shot gun. It tips off a pass or a run draw. Offesive play calling needs unpredictability.
    Well running a majority of our plays from the gun does not concern me in the least. Counters , jets sweeps, tosses n play action can all be performed from the gun. They ran a heavy dose of verticals at Pitt. Those plays take longer to develop so if we stay in the same system we've employed were we get the ball out in 2.0 this should for the most part be a quick read n release process for Pickett.
    He'll need time to get it but not turning his back to the D , especially for a rook who hasn't done it much, is okay by me. We don't run qb sneaks anyway. lol .
    He'll get a bunch of vanilla out of the gate n that's good. Get some confidence in camp n pre-season. Biggest thing for any rookie is recognizing who will fire n making the right protect call n the hot call. He can get that down he'll likely be starting sooner rather then later.
    For what it's worth I believe we have to know what we have or don't have by year end. QB class in 23 is going to be really good. For that reason I believe Pickett's learning curve has to be on fast track.
    Last edited by Iron City Inc.; 05-03-2022 at 02:01 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I checked the film, too, and can confirm he's 23.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post
    I checked the film, too, and can confirm he's 23.
    I checked too. 24 on June 6, 2022 before camp starts. A bit old for a rookie don't you agree?.

Legend

User Info Menu

This is why I hope Trubisky is our QB in 2022. Give us the best chance at success
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    Red flags.

He always in the shot gun. I checked, and he only took 4 snaps under center last year. More on the time theory later.

He took the 3rd longest of college QB's to throw the ball! Longest IF he was in NFL. And he was in the shot gun giving himself a little extra time. PFF reports that Pickett "Holding onto the ball often welcomes pressure, and Pickett was charged with 34 pressures this past season, tying for the second-most in the FBS. The more time a qb has the easier it is it make the throw. He took a lot of time.

This will not work with OL, he's got to improve processing speed!

We know about the fumbles, 38 times 26 lost, and this has to do with processing speed. If he only thew the ball sooner say 1/2 second sooner.

The arm is all right. I checked and he can make the throws, including on the run but it's not on Mahomes or Joe Burrow other " small handed qb's " qb's that that critics says he compares with level. Besides they didn't fumble as much in college.

He's almost 24 year old. The learning phase to correct these issue would be younger than that.

He might have a passing tell. I dunno no it seems like he does in the film I watch. Then again he's always in the gun for passing plays.
    He’s always in shotgun? Welcome to college football in 2021. That’s normal.

Pickett was sacked 9 times in 2021 and the only had 3 fumbles last year. It was a concern and he showed he could correct a flaw.

Fun fact: As a freshman Pickett knocked of Miami when they were ranked No.2 in the country.

Not concerned at all with how long he holds the ball since they were a vertical team. If he had 25 sacks it would be a concern.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?