Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 3: Steelers select DE DeMarvin Leal

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Pretty much my frustration. Like, let's just repeat last season but hope the two guys missing in the middle come back as strong as two years ago. Doesn't inspire a ton of confidence. Hopefully the Steelers are tuned in to Tuitt's status. My other hope is a maybe a cut signing or trade at some point. They tried to snag Cox. Maybe work a trade with PHI after they drafted that stud.
    Ditto. Here's hoping.
    From the 2010-2021 season, (A 12year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Currently, Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game in 5 years.

Dolphin fans in the 90ís held on to Don Shula for too long for what he did in the playoffs in the 70ís...
    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2021 ) holding on to Tomlin for too long for what he did in 2008, with Cowher's players & coaches.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    I'm hoping that Tuitt's there this season so he can get a slow roll into the system
    all indications are that Tuitt will play this season.

question for me is if can return playing like his former self after sitting out a year and I have worries about his mental make-up.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    you were the first one I saw who had Leal in his mock.

what was it about him that you liked so much?
    Annually, i literally search for guys to "scout" that fit the 34 defense and literally watch game film. Draft season is one of my favorite times -- it's like Christmas...

For our DE, I search for "oversized 4-3 DE with good run-stopping skills, but average pass rush skills". Then, I watch games for those people. He has good power, but not a huge variety of pass rushing moves. Looked good against the run. People talked about him taking plays off, but that was typically when he wasn't play-side. When the play came his way, he gave good effort and usually manhandled the o-lineman in front of him.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

2022 Final Mock
    1 - Malik Wills, QB, Liberty Kenny Pickett, QB, Pitt
    2 - Travis Jones, NT, Uconn George Pickens, WR, UGa
    3 - Jalen Tolbert, WR, USA DeMarvin Leal, DE, TAMU

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    Annually, i literally search for guys to "scout" that fit the 34 defense and literally watch game film. Draft season is one of my favorite times -- it's like Christmas...

For our DE, I search for "oversized 4-3 DE with good run-stopping skills, but average pass rush skills". Then, I watch games for those people. He has good power, but not a huge variety of pass rushing moves. Looked good against the run. People talked about him taking plays off, but that was typically when he wasn't play-side. When the play came his way, he gave good effort and usually manhandled the o-lineman in front of him.
    Good call. I’m always fascinated by finding DEs too, but I’m usually looking for the guy that can be the next 7th rounder like Keisel.

I kinda agree with you on the type of guy you’re looking at but I think these guys should go a little later. But like everything, when you find a type, they rise in the futur drafts to higher and higher rounds.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Good call. Iím always fascinated by finding DEs too, but Iím usually looking for the guy that can be the next 7th rounder like Keisel.

I kinda agree with you on the type of guy youíre looking at but I think these guys should go a little later. But like everything, when you find a type, they rise in the futur drafts to higher and higher rounds.
    I hear ya... The main thing for me was getting Leal as a late 3rd when he was projected as a late 1st by some. I honestly thought he'd be gone by the end of the 2nd. To get him in the 3rd I was pumped.

It reminds me of when Tuitt was projected as a 1st and went in the 2nd (his was due to injuries, IIRC).
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

2022 Final Mock
    1 - Malik Wills, QB, Liberty Kenny Pickett, QB, Pitt
    2 - Travis Jones, NT, Uconn George Pickens, WR, UGa
    3 - Jalen Tolbert, WR, USA DeMarvin Leal, DE, TAMU

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Seems to me the ideal scheme for his toolset.
    I don't see him as an NFL 4/3 guy at all.
    I loved the Leal pick. Never expected him to be there in rd 3
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

all indications are that Tuitt will play this season.

question for me is if can return playing like his former self after sitting out a year and I have worries about his mental make-up.
    Was listening to the Ramon Foster (with him and DK, but now in a separate feed so I can subscribe without having a million podcasts I don't want to listen to clogging up my player).

They made reference to the fact that Tuitt is "working out at the facility every day" or something like that.

If that's true, I think it's much more encouraging than "he has been in the facility" or whatever the last update I heard was.

Legend

User Info Menu

Tommy Jaggi
    @TommyJaggi

#Steelers DL stats and age during their final college season:

Cameron Heyward: Age 21
    48 tackles, 13 TFL, 3.5 sacks

Stephon Tuitt: Age 20
    49 tackles, 9.0 TFL, 7.5 sacks

DeMarvin Leal: Age 20
    58 tackles, 12.5 TFL, 8.5 sacks

May 5, 2022

https://twitter.com/TommyJaggi/statu...eal-84-overall

Legend

User Info Menu

Tommy Jaggi
    @TommyJaggi

#Steelers DL stats and age during their final college season:

Cameron Heyward: Age 21
    48 tackles, 13 TFL, 3.5 sacks

Stephon Tuitt: Age 20
    49 tackles, 9.0 TFL, 7.5 sacks

DeMarvin Leal: Age 20
    58 tackles, 12.5 TFL, 8.5 sacks

May 5, 2022

https://twitter.com/TommyJaggi/statu...eal-84-overall
    Leal's statline certainly suggests that he didnt take many plays off

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    Leal's statline certainly suggests that he didnt take many plays off
    If you watched tape you would realize he does indeed takes 75 percent of his plays off.

He is just so good he makes a play EVERY SINGLE TIME he tries hard.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher