Page 27 of 37 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 1: Steelers select QB Kenny Pickett

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    First I've read of some of Pickett's issues. I know B/R is anti-Steelers but is there any truths here?
    Tice is a huge Ridder fan and repeats some lazy tropes about Pickett about the hand and grip. Ridder fumbled as many times in 1 fewer game and 200 fewer touches.
    Last edited by WindyCitySteel; 05-08-2022 at 07:15 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    See the difference is I am not claiming Willis is a day 1 starter. I am on record saying he needs a couple years of development. You are claiming Pickett is going to "ball out day 1". So, lets hope you are right. If you said, hey I like Pickett but he needs some work. Lets sit him for a season and just let him learn and I see him as a solid QB I could be on board with that.
    I didnít say a word about Willis starting day one. Iím talking about all the hype over his upside. Could happen.. but he may be another athletic college QB who doesnít figure it out.

and we arenít in wait 3 years mode for our next QB. We are trying to win NOW on a rookie contract which is why we chose the most NFL ready QB. Our front office keeps repeating it but you donít want to believe it.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Legend

User Info Menu

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...s-years-draft/

Here's what Pete Carroll thinks about the QB's in this year's draft.
    From the 2010-2021 season, (A 12year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Currently, Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game in 5 years.

Dolphin fans in the 90ís held on to Don Shula for too long for what he did in the playoffs in the 70ís...
    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2021 ) holding on to Tomlin for too long for what he did in 2008, with Cowher's players & coaches.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post

Drew Lock sucks.

I'll take Kenny Pickett over him any day of the week, especially on Sundays.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post

He had he same nfl.com draft profile score as Pickett (6.4) and .01 lower than Willis, maybe he would be. He hasn't done anything yet, but Carrol is just talking up his guy, the same way Tomlin would had we not taken Pickett.

However, these negatives are things you don't read about Pickett:

• Leaves ball behind his targets on crossers and slants
    • Drops arm slot, leading to batted passes
    • Requires more disciplined footwork from the pocket
    • Production falls off a cliff when forced to move his feet
    • Inconsistent squaring to throw when on the move
    • Poise and decision-making appear tied to level of pressure he sees
    Last edited by WindyCitySteel; 05-08-2022 at 07:22 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post
    He had he same nfl.com draft profile score as Pickett (6.4) and .01 lower than Willis, maybe he would be. He hasn't done anything yet, but Carrol is just talking up his guy, the same way Tomlin would had we not taken Pickett.

However, these negatives are things you don't read about Pickett:

• Leaves ball behind his targets on crossers and slants
    • Drops arm slot, leading to batted passes
    • Requires more disciplined footwork from the pocket
    • Production falls off a cliff when forced to move his feet
    • Inconsistent squaring to throw when on the move
    • Poise and decision-making appear tied to level of pressure he sees
    The last bullet was Trubisky's undoing. His worst games were when he was pressured most. No, not rocket science but the elite QBs can at least not make the critical mistakes under those circumstances. The average QBs throw INTs or get sacked. Although I did read that Trubisky is the only QB to ever not throw a pick six in his first 50+ games starting.

Legend

User Info Menu

A little different analysis on Pickett by a guy that watches a TON of NFL tape. Coaches also chiming in on Pickett's potential.

• "..has a skillset that projects well to the league"
    • "...plays with physical and mental toughness"
    • "....balls that should be thrown that aren't... shows up a lot on tape on college quarterbacks.....hardest thing for rookies QBs to learn...".

• "....needs to learn to function in a compressed pocket in the NFL, sometimes perceives pressure and leaves the pocket"

Legend

User Info Menu

Its fun to read these scouting reports. They are all over the map.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I couldn't tell in the end if he was saying Kenny did or did not do some of those things...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    Its fun to read these scouting reports. They are all over the map.
    Agreed. And frankly, most of the negatives AND positives are done by MOST quarterbacks at some points. I think it depends on how frequently they happen.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

2022 Final Mock
    1 - Malik Wills, QB, Liberty Kenny Pickett, QB, Pitt
    2 - Travis Jones, NT, Uconn George Pickens, WR, UGa
    3 - Jalen Tolbert, WR, USA DeMarvin Leal, DE, TAMU