Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tomlin on how to fix run D

Legend

User Info Menu

Tomlin on how to fix run D

"Play better". We're supposed to have the best defensive coaching staff in the league now, but all they can do is tell their players to "beat their man". Man, I miss Dick LeBeau.

The inability to scheme up the D when injuries occur keep him from being a great coach, IMO. Sure sounded cool, though, right? Media probably swooning.

https://steelersdepot.com/2022/03/mi...medium=twitter

Legend

User Info Menu

"whoop blocks"

Coach cool / Coach DMC at it again

Legend

User Info Menu

we need another #1 draft choice on defense to fix the run D.

obviously...
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    we need another #1 draft choice on defense to fix the run D.

obviously...
    An large bodied infusion of youth on the d-line wouldn't hurt.

Another AS masterpiece.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Play better and be available to play. There is nothing he could have schemed - other than putting a 4-man front out there - given the attrition along the line and the horrid play of the inside backers. You can point fingers at the lack of depth along the line (at least early on) or at ILB, but they weren't going to scheme their way to decency against the run last year.

I would certainly love to see all 340 lbs of Jordan Davis added to the line. I'd also still like to see another inside backer drafted high. I look at Miles Jack as being more of an insurance policy in case the Devin Bush of 2021 is the same guy who shows up in 2022. Otherwise, you're now hoping both your starting backers are able to turn it around after very fugly campaigns last year. That's not a solid plan. Instead, draft a young guy you can rotate in there this year and have him ready to replace the linebacker who doesn't pan-out. I think those two moves would help the Steelers become one of the best teams against the run.

But if they want to simply be better against the run, then all they need is for Tuitt and Alualu to return and have the old Devin Bush return along with them.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Coming from the defensive mastermind who's team has given up an average of 43 points a game the last 4 playoff games. Amazing!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel View Post

I would certainly love to see all 340 lbs of Jordan Davis added to the line.
    Yes, that will definitely help, until he gets hurt and they ask Montravious Adams to do his job and don't do anything else to make up the difference. Play big nickel, stack the line, do more two-gapping - anything but Next Man Up.

Next Man Up lets you skate with excuses, though.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post
    "Play better". We're supposed to have the best defensive coaching staff in the league now, but all they can do is tell their players to "beat their man". Man, I miss Dick LeBeau.

The inability to scheme up the D when injuries occur keep him from being a great coach, IMO. Sure sounded cool, though, right? Media probably swooning.

https://steelersdepot.com/2022/03/mi...medium=twitter
    You miss the guy who wanted to "tackle the catch" and couldn't adapt to an evolving pass first league
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    You miss the guy who wanted to "tackle the catch" and couldn't adapt to an evolving pass first league
    4 #1 ranked D, 7 top 5, 9 top 10, only once out of the top half of the league.

Since Tomlin took over, no #1, 2 top 5, 4 top 10.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post
    Yes, that will definitely help, until he gets hurt and they ask Montravious Adams to do his job and don't do anything else to make up the difference. Play big nickel, stack the line, do more two-gapping - anything but Next Man Up.

Next Man Up lets you skate with excuses, though.
    Having one more talented big guy (4 total) would make it less likely that they end up with 1 out of 3 starter capable players available which is what happened last year.

Another AS masterpiece.