Thread: Mason on the Rich Eisen show today....

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Mason on the Rich Eisen show today....

gotta be honest. I didn't think this was good at all. I'm not saying it was 'Wild Thing' bad.....but just awkward to watch.

2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I thought it was great. Maybe Rudolph was a little stiff at first, but he loosened up and I thought was very engaging and humble. He had never even met Eisen until the show, so you might expect it to start off a little slow. Very little football conversation but he seems to have the right mindset to compete for the job.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel View Post
    I thought it was great. Maybe Rudolph was a little stiff at first, but he loosened up and I thought was very engaging and humble. He had never even met Eisen until the show, so you might expect it to start off a little slow. Very little football conversation but he seems to have the right mindset to compete for the job.
    Agreed. I think Mason seems like a very nice guy.

It’s a shame I just don’t think he’s a high quality QB.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

He may not be a starting caliber QB, but having solid backups is important. This year will show a lot about where he slots in with his NFL future. If he proves to only be a backup, I would not complain if he becomes the Steelers long term, career backup. Unless of course they switch to a more mobility focused offense, in which case the backup needs to be able to step in and run the starter's offense to some degree.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    He may not be a starting caliber QB, but having solid backups is important. This year will show a lot about where he slots in with his NFL future. If he proves to only be a backup, I would not complain if he becomes the Steelers long term, career backup. Unless of course they switch to a more mobility focused offense, in which case the backup needs to be able to step in and run the starter's offense to some degree.
    I kind of feel bad for him, his NFL introduction ( 2019) was a turn of bad luck, after bad luck.

Got killed in Ravens game, got head smashed in by a Helmut, got called a racist, broke rib/shoulder(?) that almost punctured his lung,
    Sitting behind Ben and his history ( 2019) he got stuck being that guy, a career back up.

However...I keep hearing being that long term back up QB is one of the best jobs to have in the NFL...

Their career is never ending, and they keep on making big money.
    Some of the wealthiest ( career earnings) are long term back ups.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_george View Post
    Their career is never ending, and they keep on making big money.
    Some of the wealthiest ( career earnings) are long term back ups.
    No wear and tear on the body, either.

Legend

User Info Menu

Mason Rudolph seemingly takes swipe at Ben Roethlisberger

6/3/22

Ben Roethlisberger was openly unhappy when the Pittsburgh Steelers used a third-round draft pick on Mason Rudolph in 2018. That set the stage for what became a bit of an awkward relationship between the two quarterbacks, and Rudolph clearly has not forgotten about it.

Rudolph is now the veteran in a situation where an accomplished rookie is joining the fold. He was asked this week about helping first-round pick Kenny Pickett adjust to life in the NFL. Rudolph used the opportunity to take a swipe at Roethlisberger.

Brian Batko of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette described the exchange.

Steelers quarterback Mason Rudolph knew where the question was going. As a veteran now, does he find himself trying to take on the responsibility of helping first-round pick Kenny Pickett, as opposed to being …

“Being like someone else?” Rudolph said.

Roethlisberger publicly questioned the Steelers’ decision to draft Rudolph four years ago. He then quickly backed down and tried to show that he was being a good teammate, but he was not pleased with the situation.

Rudolph, Pickett and Mitchell Trubisky will all be competing for a starting job this summer. That will naturally create a situation where they are focusing more on their own preparation than helping one another, but Rudolph said there is a balance.

“I’ve always believed in, the starter shouldn’t have to go out of his way, because he’s got a lot of things to deal with,” Rudolph said Wednesday. “But definitely be open to questions and help the growth and development of a younger quarterback, yeah.”

The media loves to make a big deal out of older quarterbacks not embracing the mentor role. Ryan Tannehill learned that recently after he was ripped for what he said about Malik Willis. In reality, there is a middle ground between being a total jerk and holding a rookie’s hand. Rudolph probably feels Big Ben was a lot closer to the former during their time together.

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/artic...1_127_37558183