Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Enough with the "cutsie brother crap."

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whisper View Post
    Yup. By the way, Pgh has stated Conner was drafted as a TE. Quick, how many TEs are under 6' in the NFL in modern years? Any of them? I recall them saying Tebow couldn't make TE because he was simply too short last year. He's listed as 6-3. A full 4" taller than Conner. How about H-backs? Any successful ones shorter than 6'?
    I think he's drafted to be a ST player.

And TE is a place where they think they will have a roster spot for a ST guy.

Although I think RB would be fine to since we don't share carries and the 3rd RB basically doesn't do anything.

Legend

User Info Menu

My concern is that we're making roster spots for people just because (or mainly because) they've got a brother on the squad. Not sure Derek Watt, Trey Edmunds, Khalil Davis, or Conner Heyward would be on this team otherwise.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I had no idea Connor had 1 carry last year and all his production was receiving yards.

I don’t see him as a TE but maybe he is a hybrid split end. Also curious if he can block at that size.
    The reports I read said he's not a good blocker

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chucktownsteeler View Post
    But would anyone object if we got the “other” Edmunds brother?
    Depends what we had to pay for him.

If we were paying him the same amount of $$$ per play as we're giving Derek Watt, we might have to cut several productive starters to have him on the team.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    My concern is that we're making roster spots for people just because (or mainly because) they've got a brother on the squad. Not sure Derek Watt, Trey Edmunds, Khalil Davis, or Conner Heyward would be on this team otherwise.
    Which is my total point of this thread.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

When considering ALL the factors it's ok to "hire" players who have football back grounds. Most of the Steelers family hires had minimal risks. The Steelers didn't break the bank for anyone.

If having D. Watt on the team brought T.J. some happiness MOST people would do it. D. Watt is a good special teams player. Maybe having D. Watt on the team is one reason why T.J. took less money? No one will ever know. People that debate this ish are cra cra IMO.

Legend

User Info Menu

Heyward was drafted because he offers the opportunity to play 3 positions which would be a huge benefit on game day. Also, don't forget that Watt is in the final year of his contract so you don't have to force this 6th round pick into the line up...remember he is a 6th round pick. Heyward isn't being penciled in a a starter...is he?

As far as the criticism of the "cutsie brother crap" (other than just another typical complaint from a established complainer), none of these guys have been brought in as starters or front line guys...have they? They are back ups or depth guys and none of them since they have been here have cost us a game or had a major fail. Maybe they like getting someone they know through a relationship because they get greater insights into the person and the person's character and work ethic which is exactly what you want for a depth guy. How is that bad?
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Alex Kozora
    @Alex_Kozora

Indiana is the first school to offer Minkah Fitzpatrick’s younger brother, Justice Fitzpatrick. The soon-to-be freshman at St. Thomas Aquinas has also camped at both Alabama and Georgia this summer.

Mike Tomlin waiting to draft him in 2030.

https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora?ref_...Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Alex Kozora
    @Alex_Kozora

Indiana is the first school to offer Minkah Fitzpatrick’s younger brother, Justice Fitzpatrick. The soon-to-be freshman at St. Thomas Aquinas has also camped at both Alabama and Georgia this summer.

Mike Tomlin waiting to draft him in 2030.

https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora?ref_...Ctwgr%5Eauthor
    And I'll be aged 92!