Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: David DeCastro. Hall of fame?

Legend

User Info Menu

I don't think Decastro was a consistently dominating player. Simply put no.

Backup

User Info Menu

no way..... Alan puts him to shame
    2020 MNF Exec Champion

Banned

User Info Menu

No. I don't think so.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    Let's compare to our most recent HOF Guard, Alan Faneca

Faneca was passed over several times, I think being inducted on his fifth year of eligibility. Just looking at the numbers I don't think they are close. Going by perception, during Faneca's career he was often considered one of the top two guards in the game along with Hutchinson. Decastro was always very good but never thought of in the same way.

I'd have to say that Decastro is very unlikely to make it.
    good analyses.

agreed that it's unlikely he makes it.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Faneca was passed over several times, I think being inducted on his fifth year of eligibility. Just looking at the numbers I don't think they are close. Going by perception, during Faneca's career he was often considered one of the top two guards in the game along with Hutchinson. Decastro was always very good but never thought of in the same way.

That's a great comparison. Faneca also had a key block springing Willie Parker for his TD in the Super Bowl.

If DeCastro had been on championship teams, he might have an argument, albeit not a great one. But with no rings, he has no chance at the HOF.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whisper View Post
    It's the Hall of Fame, not "Hall of pretty good." DD was pretty good, not great. Litmus test is supposed to be "you changed the game while you played and the game wouldn't be the same without you." DD doesn't qualify.
    How does an offensive lineman change the game? If you go by that metric there should probably be less than 10 offensive linemen in the HOF.

Mike Webster
    Dermontti Dawson
    Jim Otto
    Art Shell
    Anthony Munoz
    John Hannah
    Mike Munchak
    Larry Allen
    Bruce Matthews

Pappy

The 2024 Pittsburgh Steeler draft

1.20 - Troy Fautanu, T, Washington
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia
    3.84 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.98 - Payton Wilson, LB, UNC
    4.119 - Mason McCprmick, OG, S. Dakota St
    7.178 - Logan Lee, DT, Iowa
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

That's comparing Decastro to two of the best guards, if not the two best guards during their time in the NFL. If you compare him to say Russ Grimm, Larry Little and Joe DeLamielleure he's in the conversation. I'm not making a case for or against DeCastro or whether or not Grimm, Little and DeLamiellweur belong, I'm just saying that he has comparable accolades to those players who are in the HOF.

Pappy

The 2024 Pittsburgh Steeler draft

1.20 - Troy Fautanu, T, Washington
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia
    3.84 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.98 - Payton Wilson, LB, UNC
    4.119 - Mason McCprmick, OG, S. Dakota St
    7.178 - Logan Lee, DT, Iowa
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    That's comparing Decastro to two of the best guards, if not the two best guards during their time in the NFL. If you compare him to say Russ Grimm, Larry Little and Joe DeLamielleure he's in the conversation. I'm not making a case for or against DeCastro or whether or not Grimm, Little and DeLamiellweur belong, I'm just saying that he has comparable accolades to those players who are in the HOF.

Pappy
    The big difference is that those guys were all part of something big. Grimm was one of the Hogs and had 3 SB wins in 4 appearance. Little on the 1972 Dolphins. DeLamielleure blocked for OJ. DeCastro was very good, and the mobility between DeCastro and Pouncey allowed the Steelers to do some unique things, but I just don't see him as a HOF guard. And I know you aren't saying that he is a HOF guy. But I think that's the big difference measuring him against those guys - the lack of a hallmark team accomplishment.

Legend

User Info Menu

Pappy
    But AF had to wait a pretty long time.

If DD gets in, his wait will be longer. And he's in the same eligibility class as MP (although maybe DD didn't file the papers until the following league year?). MP would get in first (if he gets in after a long wait). So DD would have to wait longer.

Legend

User Info Menu

Pappy
    Actually DeCastro had lesser accolades than any of those names.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher