Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Alan Saunders@ASaunders_PGH∑

Steelers fans: HIRE FROM OUTSIDE THE ORGANIZATION

*Steelers hire from outside the organization*

Steelers fans: NOT LIKE THAT

https://twitter.com/ASaunders_PGH?re..._&ref_url=
    While certainly funny; I don't think they get too much credit for an outside hire when 1 coach jumped ship during the season and his replacement took a job with the Bears. They literally didn't have a choice. And that choice was from a losing team with the same sh!tty O stats as our abysmal line had last year.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    While certainly funny; I don't think they get too much credit for an outside hire when 1 coach jumped ship during the season and his replacement took a job with the Bears. They literally didn't have a choice. And that choice was from a losing team with the same sh!tty O stats as our abysmal line had last year.
    I hear you but its not easy to get a good OL coach to take a lateral move. Munchak left over family and maybe because he was offered more money.

I guess we could take a chance on an assistant OL coach from a good team but that is also risky.

I did hear that we are one of the cheaper orgs when it comes to paying coaches. Not sure how true that is but if so, we aren’t getting top talent on the cheap.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I hear you but its not easy to get a good OL coach to take a lateral move. Munchak left over family and maybe because he was offered more money.

I guess we could take a chance on an assistant OL coach from a good team but that is also risky.

I did hear that we are one of the cheaper orgs when it comes to paying coaches. Not sure how true that is but if so, we aren’t getting top talent on the cheap.
    People forget that Munchak was interviewed for Denver's HC position before they tabbed Fangio. He was then named OL coach and assistant run game coordinator.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Alan Saunders@ASaunders_PGH∑

Steelers fans: HIRE FROM OUTSIDE THE ORGANIZATION

*Steelers hire from outside the organization*

Steelers fans: NOT LIKE THAT

https://twitter.com/ASaunders_PGH?re..._&ref_url=
    I think it's more like fans asking that we do a genuine search and hire the person that seems actually best for the position. Not just someone from the inside, or someone we know from somewhere else when there aren't any inside guys left to hire.

Who knows anything about position coaches. Especially OL coaches. But it's not like this guy's previous results scream "let's hire that guy!". Although maybe that's always going to be the case in coaching when you're generally hiring guys that got fired from somewhere else...although it seems like coaching hires are often based on relationships at least as much as results.

Is a marginal NFL OL coach better than a good one that you could poach away from a good college team? I don't know. Maybe?

Can you even poach away good college coaches for a lateral move? Seems like Tomlin suggested that the pay in the NCAA is comparable and maybe better. I wouldn't be surprised if that's true given that big programs have massive revenue and don't have to pay the players (~50% of NFL revenue goes to players).

Hopefully this guy is good at the things we want him to be able to do with the players we have.

More importantly, I hope we can do some things to give him better players than the ones we had last year.
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 02-16-2022 at 10:14 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

So the Steelers hired 2 offensive coaches from a 5-12 team that was bottom 4 in the NFL in points and yards. Got it.

Feels as if they are not even trying to win. Very disappointing.
    Tanking for a QB but doing it with style. What OL coach would look at the Steelers roster and say 'yea, I can make this line into a top 5 in the league'? Most would probably look at them and say "exactly why is Green a starting center?", "and that QB looks like a statue back there...gonna be tough to hold blocks for 5 seconds".

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

So the Steelers hired 2 offensive coaches from a 5-12 team that was bottom 4 in the NFL in points and yards. Got it.

Iím assuming the good OL coaches can evaluate our talent and then see how our OL coaches are used as scapegoats and get fired often, and decide it isnít a good job to take.
    So you are left with outside scrubs or internal hires that take the promotion for the money.
    Update:
    In the last decade:
    25% of the league has won a super bowl. The steelers are not one of them.
    18 teams have as many or more playoff wins as the steelers.
    25 teams have won at least one playoff game, none have a worse playoff win percentage than the steelers.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Tanking for a QB but doing it with style. What OL coach would look at the Steelers roster and say 'yea, I can make this line into a top 5 in the league'? Most would probably look at them and say "exactly why is Green a starting center?", "and that QB looks like a statue back there...gonna be tough to hold blocks for 5 seconds".
    its a balancing act. I can see some embracing the challenge and others being like “nah, that could hurt my resume”

I also wonder if OL coaches are looking for places where there is an opportunity to rise in the org.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Iím assuming the good OL coaches can evaluate our talent and then see how our OL coaches are used as scapegoats and get fired often, and decide it isnít a good job to take.
    So you are left with outside scrubs or internal hires that take the promotion for the money.
    Update:
    In the last decade:
    25% of the league has won a super bowl. The steelers are not one of them.
    18 teams have as many or more playoff wins as the steelers.
    25 teams have won at least one playoff game, none have a worse playoff win percentage than the steelers.