Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Philosophy/Plan for '22

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Philosophy/Plan for '22

How would you want the FO to set the team up for next year?

Try to not use names, but just focus on postions.

1) Go all out in FA and get a QB
    a) focus the draft on OL
    b) go the Bengels route and focus on skill position and D, "ignore" OL

I do not like either options at 1, If we go the first route we might have way too many holes to cover.
    But what f we can get a Wilson/AR would that make us contenders? Would you give up 2 1st rounders..
    I know that option is for crack heads, it will never happen.I do not like either options at 1, If we go the first route we might have way too many holes to cover.
    But what f we can get a Wilson/AR would that make us contenders? Would you give up 2 1st rounders..
    I know that option is for crack heads, it will never happen.

I keep flipping between 2 a and 2 b, and option 3 might work as well ( I think the Bengels did this, except focused on skill players)

2) Go all out in FA and fix the OL.

a) draft our QB and fill out out the D in draft ( think NE did this)
    If we sign great to good OL at C, G, and OT the OL could be the strong point of the O, getting experience on a young core on the offense. Focus of Offense would be Najee, ball control, and just need a game manager at QB. ( can develop QB rookie behind this).
    Then in draft we could bring young talent to the D, especially at DL. Why am I thinking that our D is pretty young sans, Heyword, Tuitt, Hadden, and Alu.

b) stick with our QBs, fill out the D in the draft and skill players, develope OL depth.
    Again if we solidify the OL, and we roll with MR/Haskins and focus on D...ILB, DL, DB

3) Go all out in FA and fix the D

a) draft a rookie QB and OL
    Retooling the D, making it a focus just like 2019 or Ben's rookie year. Could redraft of the OL make it solid and young, but would you roll the dice and trust development of OL to protect our rookie QB (maybe MR) and Najee.

b) draft OL and WR stay with MR
    Fill out roster with exceptional skill players. Maybe even making DJ the 3rd option and Claypool the 4th.
    Last edited by steeler_george; 02-13-2022 at 10:00 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

My approach would be:

Free Agency
    1. Bring in experienced Center and move Green to Right Guard
    2. Sign the following of our own
    Offense
    >JuJu--far more important than he gets credit for. Our offense was never the same without him
    >Okafor--resign as back up swing tackle

Defense. Need to keep this elite as we go through the post-Ben transition
    >Extend Minkah. No brainer
    >Resign Edmunds. See JuJu above. This guys is far more valuable than fans give him credit for. Never misses a game and has great chemistry with Minkah
    >Restructure Schobert. He is still a good player who came in late and never got his feet under him. If he doesn't restructure then cut.
    >Resign Witherspoon. Showed good stuff once he started to learn the system. With Austin taking over defense I think we see his growth continue
    >Resign Adams at Nose Tackle. Showed lots of promise
    >Haden...this is a tough one. If he doesn't accept a "hometown" discount I let him walk.
    >I'm resigning Wormley. Did solid job in '21 if not spectacular

Draft
    Round 1. Def Line--getting stud. Heyward can't go forever nor can Alualu. I'm not reaching for a QB
    Round 2. I'm going Off Tackle. Deep draft this year at OT position
    Round 3. I'd likely going WR or CB
    Round 4. Hitting the OL or DL again...rebuilding the foundation inside out

I'm rolling with MR in '22. Got to see if he can do it. If he can we are good going forward. If not, we will likely be in position to draft a QB very high in the draft in what will be a much better draft for QBs than this year.
    Last edited by Oviedo; 02-13-2022 at 10:58 AM.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Starter

User Info Menu

In both FA - focus on picking up a lineman either side of the ball, secondary/LB if price is right.

Draft - Focus on the lines.
    Maybe look out for a QB in the 3rd round.
    Get another WR somewhere in it.
    LB somewhere.

I'd also like to see Schobert come back with a restructured deal. I'd love for Juju to come back but I seriously don't see it happening for a number of reasons.

I don't think any QB in this draft is worth a 1st round pick, way too much of a gamble plus the system/coaching on that side of the ball is a big question mark right now. For example someone like Willis who will need a good bit of development and is a big question mark himself playing in a system with an OC who has 1 year of NFL experience (and not a good one at that to say the least) is just asking for trouble.

What I don't want to see -

- Steelers trading up for a QB in the 1st round. Or even taking a QB in the current draft position in that round.

- For some reason I keep seeing Jimmy G to Pittsburgh, this makes just no sense to me at all. Would be a terrible move.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by T.Ferguson View Post
    In both FA - focus on picking up a lineman either side of the ball, secondary/LB if price is right.

Draft - Focus on the lines.
    Maybe look out for a QB in the 3rd round.
    Get another WR somewhere in it.
    LB somewhere.

I'd also like to see Schobert come back with a restructured deal. I'd love for Juju to come back but I seriously don't see it happening for a number of reasons.

I don't think any QB in this draft is worth a 1st round pick, way too much of a gamble plus the system/coaching on that side of the ball is a big question mark right now. For example someone like Willis who will need a good bit of development and is a big question mark himself playing in a system with an OC who has 1 year of NFL experience (and not a good one at that to say the least) is just asking for trouble.

What I don't want to see -

- Steelers trading up for a QB in the 1st round. Or even taking a QB in the current draft position in that round.

- For some reason I keep seeing Jimmy G to Pittsburgh, this makes just no sense to me at all. Would be a terrible move.
    Pretty much in line with everything you wrote.

Getting Jimmy G does nothing for us except keep us. Need to focus on building long term. Fix the OL and DL

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    My approach would be:

Free Agency
    1. Bring in experienced Center and move Green to Right Guard
    Really you trust him to start him as a guard?
    I lost faith in him as a starter at any positon.

As of now, I would gladly have Green as a back swing IOL, till he develops more. Which is fine, because you need depth. I am not hating on him either, he just needs to develop like a typical 3rd rounder. Till he proves it, I don't want him starting unless there is an injury.

So in other words, you want option 4, not to be a player in FA ( besides center), no quick fix/tune up, stay status quo with the team we have, not really improve via FA, and build via the draft...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I like your answers, but wow never expected the love for Schobert...

No way we land Jimmy G, we have no draft capital to give up for a game manager. Plus, isn't he a free agent next year. I rather spend #1 and a #2 ( Jimmy G asking price)to move up and draft Willis or Picket. At least you have them for 5 years. ( but still bad plan in my opinion)

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_george View Post

As of now, I would gladly have Green as a back swing IOL, till he develops more. Which is fine, because you need depth. I am not hating on him either, he just needs to develop like a typical 3rd rounder. Till he proves it, I don't want him starting unless there is an injury.

So in other words, you want option 4, not to be a player in FA ( besides center), no quick fix/tune up, stay status quo with the team we have, not really improve via FA, and build via the draft...
    I do trust Green. He had a lot thrown on him. Position change to Center, learning on the fly, didn't have much help to his left or right

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I do trust Green. He had a lot thrown on him. Position change to Center, learning on the fly, didn't have much help to his left or right
    I blame the FO, the coaches, and the injuries too. They should have had a better "starter" penciled in than Finney and Haus to start off camp. Then the injuries, "change of the Guards" throughout the season killed everyone's play.

They destroyed him, mentally and physically. Not sure if he can come back.

Legend

User Info Menu

I pick option (2) here, with the stipulation that I don't want to draft the QB until next April.

We have so many needs that we can use the draft to basically pick the BPA at our important picks.

Clear the cap.

Start next year with (hopefully) a better team that's mostly just a QB away. And we'll have more cap space and better draft capital to use 1 year from now too. Then we can try to move up (from a potentially higher draft position) if we want to.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_george View Post

I think Green is a miss, but hope to be proven wrong.

I think he should be able to compete at G (we know he can't play C). But the competition should be against someone good, not like how we didn't really have competition for the C job this year (although he lost the job eventually anyway).